“Nice vacation”

GreenLeadersSilver level
St. Louis, MO
“Nice vacation”
Reviewed April 11, 2006

We just returned from a four day, three night stay at the Hilton Sandestin. We traveled with three adults and one small child (16months). Overall, we thought the hotel was great. Due to having a small schild some of the amenities are not reviewable.

The rooms were spacious. Ours contained a king size, pullout bed and bunkneds. If our child were big enough I'm sure the bunkbeds would have been great, she sure enjoyed playing on them. The room was clean and furnished with a microwave small refrigerator and small minibar sink. All came in handy.

There were three pools on the grounds and there were no crowd problems the week we traveled. The sand on the beach was the same beutiful Destin sand I have always loved. The second week of April is warm at best with a breeze that chills when out of the water. Keep this in mind as it makes some water activities dwon right chilly.

The hotel has a lot of variety to offer. The beachside bar and grill was handy. The prices are expensive (11 burger) but no different than any other resort. The grouper sandwich is huge. Be careful when you order a side of fruit instead of fries. The fries come heaping, the fruit consists of four slices of fruit. There is a nice steak restaurant, sushi bar, and a breakfast and sandwich place that also has Starbucks coffee and Ben and Jerry's ice cream.

There appeared to be activites availble for kids 5-10 but I cannot comment on them.

There is a shuttle to the wharf across the street. It is a neat area that is worth seeing. There are numerous boutique shops and resaurants. The restaurants tend to run pricey but there are some less costly options (pizza, Acme Oyster). There is a very large outlet mall 1 mile down the street. If you are looking for a bargain, check it out. The shuttle does not run there.

The golf courses appeared in great shape but I did not have the opportunity to golf on them.

Overall a great time and we would definitely return. Three trips to Destin, this is the best place thus far.

• Stayed April 2006
9 Thank tp14f

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
Columbus, GA
Reviewed April 3, 2006

We just returned from our trip and I could not wait to write a review of this resort! This was my 2nd stay at the Sandestin Hilton (the 1st time was 3 yrs ago), and my 4th time staying in the Sandestin resort area. This was my best experience yet! The hotel has been remodeled since my last stay and is a true resort- immaculate, refined, and full of amenities! My king ocean view room was very large, with a split bath (two vanity areas), microwave / fridge, and pull-out sofa. It was tastefully decorated and super-clean. The hotel grounds including the pools and beach were very well -kept. There is a beach-front bar with food service, a poolside (beach-view) restaurant with live music, and a counter -service restaurant in the hotel (easy pool access). There are also more elegant choices within the hotel, but we did not try those since I had my daughter with me. Prices for food and beverage are high, but what you would expect from a resort - great service, Starbucks coffee, and good-quality in-room dining. The amenities are endless, and often complimentary in the Sandestin resort. We were even surprised to receive a 1 hr of kayaking. Transportation around the resort is quick and free to guests. We ate dinner at Poppy's in the Sandestin Village (very good), which was just a short tram ride away. You could spend an entire vacation biking, enjoying the beach and water sports, playing golf and tennis, and experiencing great dinners and night life without ever leaving this resort. Also, if you are diligent in your search, and flexible with your travel dates, you can get incredible rates. The only negative- Expect crowds and long restaurant wait- times in the peak season- but no more than you'd expect in Destin. Overall an oustanding resort!

• Stayed April 2006
7 Thank jpocccoc
Omaha
Reviewed April 1, 2006

My family of 4 went for spring break. The hotel is good if you want to walk right to ocean. The sand is gorgeous. Have to rent chairs and umbrellas each day. The 2 pools are good. Plenty of poolside chairs. If you came with the intent of eating at the hotel the entire time, I hope you budget a majority of your money on food. Lunches are $10.95 (I had a quesadilla and soda)=$15. Breakfast is worth the price. They have a wonderful buffet, either continental (fruits, cereal, yogurt, toast/bagel/rolls) or full buffet. My husband, two 12 year boys, and I ate for $37 each morning. We went off-site one morning and paid $47. We had a junior suite which consisted of a king bed and a pull-out sofa. Room was very accommodating.

The worse part of the hotel (and the staff will admit it) is the elevator situation. There is no service elevator on the older side of the hotel. So that means people will share an elevator with a very large cart of towels or luggage rack. So only 2 people can stand in the elevator when there is 10-15 people waiting to get on one. There is only one elevator out of 4 that worked nearest the pool area. The elevators nearest the back of the hotel past the gift shop were more available.

Sandestin itself is different from Destin. Destin has all the shopping, things for kids to do, grocery stores, etc. So plan on renting a car. I was told the shuttle charges each person to go somewhere.

If we stay there again, we will know to stay at the newer side of the hotel, purchase our own snacks/drinks to keep in the refrigerator (had microwave) in junior suite and request more than 4 towels a day in our room.

11 Thank D C
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed March 30, 2006

This is really a very nice hotel. I had a partial ocean view room, but the views were outstanding. The room was large, spotless, and featured a microwave and refrigerator. The beach was just gorgeous! Whatever closure a previous reviewer was concerned about is not an issue now... nor did I see any construction work being done within the hotel. The hotel has opened up a sushi bar, but it's not open every day. Too bad! The little Picnix cafe' has Starbucks coffee and is a good place to stop in the morning if you don't want a meal. All in all, a very comfortable stay.

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank GoingEverywhere
Germantown, Tennessee
Reviewed March 20, 2006

My wife and our two sons (6 and 3)spent three days at the Sandestin Beach Hilton for "Spring Break" last week after booking last minute and receiving a very attractive rate ($139/night). We obtained a junior suite which was very generously sized and contained bunk beds at the entry, very well thought out for families. The beach and pool were excellent, and while it was definitely busy, there was plenty of room to stretch out. We did not dine in the hotel given their prices and the abundance of eateries up and down the "strip". We brought our own towels, chairs and umbrella (saving about $50 in rental fees per day), and the prohibition against coolers on the beach was not enforced.

We also enjoyed visiting Baytown village across the street, an eclectic collection of shops and restaurants. The playground was a A+ with the kids.

Our main gripes were with the overwhelming numbers of high school/college kids who were less than quiet (to be expected) and the extremely poor housekeeping: over the three days the floor was not vacuumed, the beds hastily made, the coffee service not replenished (glasses, cups, ect.), the bath not cleaned and one day the towels were not replaced after we had placed them in the bath. A call to Housekeeping revealed that new "seasonal" help had been acquired and it was taking time to get them up to speed. Perhaps the sheer volume of guests was taxing their resources, but one would expect for the learning curve to occur well before the onslaught of vacationers.

A very nice short vacation despite the poor cleaning and grunge crowd.

10 Thank Starstreams
Reviewed March 9, 2006

Beware about this hotel! We made reservations in January for 5 days for our Spring Break and booked the family beach package with beach chairs, umbrella and beachfront suite. When we arrived after driving 12 hours in a car with 2 small children we ran up to play on the beach and it was CLOSED. There was some kind of beach repair job going on and the beach was taped off and there were bulldozers, huge pipes and spotlights for the 24 hour a day job! When we asked the manager why were not informed of the closed beach he said it was not his problem. You could hear and see the construction from every room with a beach view! The manager told us we could walk to an open section of the beach that was nowhere near the Hilton! We thought that was crazy. My husband asked where they would put our beach chairs and unbrella that came with the beach package we already paid for. The manager said "Nowhere-- that offer is not valid!". They were very rude about the entire situation.

In addition, they said the beach repair was posted on their web site but I checked the Web site for the weather before we left and it said "All services open for your comfort". The manager said there was an announcement on the Web site but I never saw it before we left or after we came back. I reminded him that he had out contact information since I was a Hilton Honors Member and had my reservation since January but he said it was not his responsibility to inform guests about the closed beach.

The hotel was more run-down than I was expecting. The restrooms in the lobby were taped off and closed and a sign said "Pardon our Construction". What?? I was upset to find the hotel undergoing renovation INSIDE, too and this not mentioned with the reservation nor with my emailed reservation confirmation 3 days before we left.

We checked out the room while were there and the "Suite" with bunkbeds was a regular room with bunkbeds jammed into the entrance of the room! It was ridiculous. We will never stay at any Hilton again because of this very bad experience.

• Stayed March 2006
23 Thank Lara A
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 18, 2006

We just got back from a 3 night stay with our two young children. I felt compelled to write because we checked the reviews here before going and found mixed results. I travel once a week all over the country for 2 to 3 nights with my job and have done so for years. I've stayed in enough of the nicest business hotels to know what's out there. As a result, I have only praise for this hotel. It's located on the beach in the middle of a sprawling resort that is not only beautiful, but has everything from golf to biking to fishing to tennis, kayaking, canoeing, relaxing on the beach, shopping, and restaurants that actually have good food and are not rip offs. The hotel gives you a resort card that you can use throughout the entire Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort (you can see that at www.sandestin.com) to get fishing poles, bikes, canoes, or whatever you want. Some things are free and some have a minor charge.

We stayed in a partial view junior suite. First, the view from the balcony was 3/4 beach to the left, the pools below, and to the right there was a full view of the resort and the bay - much better view than most partial view hotel rooms. The room was huge, with an alcove with bunk beds at the entrance, a hallway with a large bathroom with vanity and another vanity outside of the bathroom. There was a small fridge, microwave, sink, coffeemaker, king size bed and a living area with couch, 3 other chairs, and a desk. The staff was helpful, friendly, and maid service was no problem. Some of the things that people complained about are problems in every hotel. For example, using debit cards to charge hotel stays is always a disaster - because of the bank's policies, not the hotel's. Maid service is never "on demand". It is once a day, when they get to it, unless you're at the Ritz. If you call at 4 pm for maid service, most hotels do not have enough staff there anymore to handle it - even the best hotels. Towels left on the floor are always changed. Towels left hanging are not. This has been standard for years as hotels try to save detergent/money/the earth, or whatever they do. If there are musty rooms, we did not see them.

The hotel is a top notch business and resort hotel with every amenity, service, and appearance of professionalism. Everything looks new and well taken care of. I saw that people complained about the $8 parking fee. If you stay at the beach in Miami, you'll pay more like $30 a night at a comparable hotel. This hotel does NOT charge a resort fee. They said that they had abandoned this practice. Many comparable hotels would add that in addition to any parking. I heard some complain about musty rooms. One thing I do know as a Florida resident - Florida is muggy, really muggy. From June to about Columbus Day (mid October), the humidity in Florida is usually unbearable if you're not used to it. It takes a little while to get used to it. But it's possible, that you will never get used to it. In that case, most tropical destinations, including Hawaii where many hotels have no air conditioning, would be off limits except during fall and winter. It is possible that I could be easily frustrated if I were paying an exorbitant amount for a room. It's possible that some of the negative reviewers were in this scenario and I can understand. Unfortunately, I've learned that the amount of money you pay doesn't necessarily correspond to a proportional increase in service, experience, or happiness.

The whole area that this hotel is in is brimming with fantastic hotels. The commercial areas to the west are clean and family friendly. And to the east, you can drive for 30 minutes along the coast and each town is more impressive than the next. This is one of the nicest hotels in one of the nicest beach areas in the country. Take only a good attitude and the willingness to have a good time and you'll be thrilled. This was my first time visiting the area for leisure purposes. Next time I'll take my extended family and I imagine we'll go back again and again and again. Stay there with confidence and have a good trip!

• Stayed January 2006