“Hilton's Best Coastal Resort in the Lower 48”

Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Destin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed December 4, 2005

We just got back from staying at the Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa. We experieced the luxury of this property for three nights from Dec 1st thru Dec 4, 2005 celebrating our ten year wedding anniversary.

When we arrived the Hotel staff was very helpful with luggage service. Our bellman, Paul was very helpful in getting our luggage transported to our room and helped in securing ice from the ice machine. I recommend using bellman services at this Hotel as there are some distances from lobby to room.

Check in was fast, and we got the room we requested. We requested a beach front room and what we got was a big surprise. An enormous room on the 6th floor of the west tower that had an oversized balcony, and large picture window literally on the ocean front. At high tide you can stand in the middle of the room and view left and right and see nothing but water. Almost appeared as if we were on the bridge of a vessel. Even large window overlooking the surf from the bathroom.
Room had large walk in closet, oversized refrigerator, and wet bar.

The furniture was fine and the bed was incredible. The bed had pillow topping on the mattress and down comforters, fine pillows as well. Very impressive.

The room was spectacular!

Teresa our daily housekeeper, kept things on schedule with timely room upkeep each day. No problems whatsoever.

We ate breakfast each morning at the Sandcastle Restaurant within the Hotel. Great breakfast buffet, and cook to order omelets. Friendly staff. Good setting. No problems whatsoever.

The Spa is world class as my wife spent a half a day there. Modern facility, warm helpful staff.

The Hotel is situated within the San Destin Resort which provides guests a full range of activity options both beach and bay side. Be sure and check out the Baytown Wharf Village situated on the resort. Also note that this Hotel is very close to the Topsail State Beach Preservation Area. Walking east on the beach soon brings you to virgin beach with no development. Very pleasant experience.

I have nothing but good things to say about this property. We are going back for our 11th anniversary.

If your not familiar with the Florida Panhandle or the "Emerald Coast" four words sum it up: white, sand, clear, water. Forget South Florida, if your a true beach goer this is Florida at its finest.

Thank you Chris Green and also to your wonderful hotel staff for making this a most enjoyable visit.

Please see my candid photos and enjoy.

Toliver and Chris
Atlanta, GA

• Stayed: December 2005
18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed December 3, 2005

Checked in on the Friday after Thanksgiving Day. The weather was beautiful! Check-in was less than 5 minutes and were very helpful. And yes, we didn't find out till we checked in that self parking was $8/day.

The room was somewhat cozy. The bed was very confortable. My only wish is that we had a beach view.

The beach was clean, and it was nice that we could walk outside from the lobby, through the courtyard and the beach was right there!

The restaurant was very, very good (Sandcastles). On Saturday, there was a two for one entree special. Sunday's brunch was a bit pricey ($20pp) but it was worth it. The choices, the pancakes, the desserts!

My husband enjoyed the fitness center. They served fresh fruits and refreshing beverages in the morning. Serenity by the Sea is a must visit.

I wish I could post my pictures. They didn't turn out very well.

I would visit again. I just think that $230/night is a bit much.

• Stayed: November 2005
8  Thank k b
Reviewed November 16, 2005

We had a great view from our room, and we could actually walk out onto the beach from our room. The hotel has 3 pools, indoor and outdoor, and they are heated. The bed was very comfortable. You have to pay $8 a day for self parking. We ate at the breakfast buffet, it was about $15 per person. High speed internet costs about $10 per day. They charge your card $150 for the bridge equipment for wireless connection, and then credit it back once you return the equipment.

Stayed: November 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
McAlester, Oklahoma
Reviewed October 16, 2005

After reading all of the negative comments I almost considered changing my reservations, boy am I glad I didn't!! It was amazing, everything from our view to the service. We were waited on like we were King and Queen! The service was promt and friendly and we were never told no!! The beach was breathtaking and the water,WOW!!! Not a lot of need to leave the resort, you have all you need! I would have to say that there were many children staying at this resort, if you are going for a romantic getaway or just don't want to hear kids running around, I would suggest staying in the Spa tower. We were on our honeymoon and were completely satisfied! Also, another tip, eat at Habor Docks, seafood is amazing! Oh, and if you are running low on cash, just take your own cooler down with you to the beach, no glass. We love you Hilton Sandestin and will definitley be back!

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 10, 2005

I read the reviews the day before we were supposed to go on vaca. & was terrified of what was to come since most of the reviews were negative. When we got there I was completly surprised!!! The room was huge (we had a junior sweet), the view was amazing & the staff were curtious. I will say that they do run a charge on your credit card for incedentials...well they put a hold on your card for the amount, so I recommend giving them a card with a high limit or even no limit at all!
We arrived at noon & our room was not ready yet so we hopped on the tram that takes you everywhere you want to go on the resort grounds & went to the Village for lunch. Our room was ready within an hour, they even called us on our cell phones to let us know.
The maid service could be better, they only changed our sheets every 3 days & would not change our towels unless we left them on the bathroom floor. They did make us aware of that by leaving little notes all around the room. The reason being is they are trying to become more enviromentaly friendly; keep their white sand beaches & green water & hey I am all for conserving the enviroment. I would say they could vaccuum more!!
The restaraunt by the beach is AWESOME & the Pina Coladas are to die for. Saw two weddings being performed on the beach & the parties were held on the Hilton grounds, be prepared for the closing on certain parts of the deck that over look the beach...no biggie, the property is huge.
All in All we had a great time, ate great food & will definitly go back.

• Stayed: October 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 8, 2005

We just returned this evening from the Hilton Sandestin Resort,after a week's stay. If you do not have a bank account and credit line to match Paris Hilton's, forget about this place. I reserved the hotel with my DEBIT card; I no longer have credit card debt and pay everything in cash. Upon check in on Labor Day, I was asked to present a credit card "for incidentals." I gave the young man the same debit card that I had reserved the room with. Within seconds, he announced (so that everyone around me could hear), "Do you have another card, Sir? This one was declined." I informed him that no, I did not have another card. He swiped it through again, and said, "Oh OK - I fixed it." Once I was settled in my room, I went online on my laptop to find out exactly what transaction had taken place. The kid at the front desk had first tried to authorize my debit card for $985.00 (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) (FOR "INCIDENTALS") - and when this was declined, he authorized it for $700 - which put a HOLD on those funds that I had available. The guy at the front desk NEVER said how much he was authorizing on my card. I had to make numerous calls to my debit card company and to the hotel manager to get them to release the amount that I did not owe for the hotel room. The cost of the room was advertised at $149 per night - not too bad, considering that this is a beach-front resort with the name "Hilton." But you have to figure in Florida's 11% room tax, plus an $8.56 hotel charge to park your car on their property! We ended up paying about $175 per night. ($14 per day if you choose to valet). We were there for 5 days, and NOT ONCE were our sheets changed on the bed! We discovered on the last day that our sheets had a brown stain that looked like it might be dried blood. Yes, the hotel has 3 pools and is right on the beach; however, if you want to rent 2 beach chairs and an umbrella, it will cost you $30 per day. We were fine lying by the pool and relaxing, except that the flies were so bad - every day - that you could not relax. These were BITING flies, too. Yes, we charged a few drinks to our room (a pina colada was $7.50 and I could not taste any alcohol in it). Upon check out this morning, we knew we would have some charges that needed to be paid. The guy at the front desk cleared out our account - it was $36.00 and some change. Well upon arriving home in Atlanta this evening and doing some online banking, we discovered a charge of $112 from the Hilton Sandestin, in addition to the $36.00 charge!!!! We were completely dumbfounded. I called the front desk at the hotel immediately, and a young girl started arguing with me that the $112 charge was put on our card BEFORE we checked out, because we had been charging things to the room (we did this TWICE), and the hotel had to insure that we had the funds available!!!!!! I told her this was completely IMPOSSBILE, because we had not given the hotel this other credit card (which belongs to my partner, who went on vacation with me) until we checked out!!!!!! She continued to argue with me anyway, that this was "standard hotel policy." We have already called his bank and disputed the $112 charge and told the bank that we want to claim this as a fraudulent charge. One more thing - skip the $14 breakfast buffet too - everything was cold. We will NEVER return.

• Stayed: September 2005
25  Thank lesliedboyette
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed August 24, 2005

I booked the Honeymoon package which included a bottle of champagne and breakfast in bed. Turns out "breakfast" was a basket of pastries, orange juice and coffee. The breakfast that we ordered cost us over $50. We were still in the room at 10 a.m. when they tried to clean. However, when we left the room at 3 p.m. we asked that they service the room. This never happened. When we called down later to ask that they please clean the room and do a turndown service while they were at it - they never did it. It was disappointing.

Stayed: June 2005