“Hilton Jun 17th-Overpriced but nice”

Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Destin
GreenLeadersSilver level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Hilton Jun 17th-Overpriced but nice”
Reviewed June 22, 2005

It's amazing to me that people can stay in the same hotel and have such different experiences. We checked in on June 17th. We arrived at 2pm, after requesting an early check in. We were told our room wasn't ready, but we were welcome to walk the grounds. My biggest complaint is that they had no place for baggage at that time...so we had the clothes on our backs, a 3 year old with no toys and a 2 hour wait.

At 4pm, we were taken to our room on the 3rd floor. I have to say, it did not smell...it was very large...I loved the bunk bed alcove and it was definately clean. The patio doors are indeed very loud..but the balcony itself was large as well, with a beautiful view of the ocean. The pools were clean. Loved the complimentary bus that takes you to the Outlets and Village across the way. For a family vacaiton, we did enjoy ourselves...I rated this as average because I do not think the room was worth the $309 a night. Based on that, I will probably not stay here again until the rates go below $150.

• Stayed June 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
Reviewed June 14, 2005

My review is pretty lengthy so let me prove my creditability. I have a degree from Purdue University in hospitality and tourism management so I am very familiar with how all the aspects of one's vacation should go. We went for a conference.

Let me just say my stay was average. I wouldn't probably go back because I thought it was pretty over priced. I will begin by saying that when they check in at 4pm they mean it. So be prepared to wait if you get there early. Lobby is gorgeous if you can ignore the half naked people walking around in their bathing suits and the children running through. It is posted not to do either of these things but they do not enforce it.

The room was very nice. Big and spacious. I stayed in a junior suite with bunk bed alcove, 2 full baths, private bedroom with 2 double beds, and living area with pull out bed. Bedding was amazing. Asked housekeeping to leave extra pillows and down comforter and they did. Housekeeping was excellent. The sliding glass doors to balcony are extremely loud when opening and closing ...our upstairs neighbors were going in and out all day/night and it was just terrible.

Seagar's has amazing food. Very pricey. Service was so-so. Our waiter made us feel uncomfortable by humming and singing. Captain of the restaurant was not interested in our table. Too busy talking to another one and drinking their wine.

Sandcastles has excellent food!! Back of the house (kitchen) was amazing. They kept their food well stocked and it was great. Front of the house service was terrible! Each time we went it got worse and worse!! We had to give our name and wait to be seated. If I am staying at a hotel, I expect to get right in to the restaurants. Breakfast buffet was grreat!

Don't even bother with room service. It took 3 trips to our room to get it right. We ordered breakfast. First time they forgot the toast and butter. Second time half the toast still no butter. Third time was the charm. By then the other food was cold.

Picnix is way over priced. Ran out of things. Need a better variety. Same goes for the Barefoot Grill. Basically the same thing as Picnix. Barefoot not too bad. Nice view. Ask your server about the raw bar at dinner. Didn't know about it until after I ordered. Of course that is if you can get someone to wait on you. (Barefoot seemed to have that problem.)

Never experienced any poolside service. Didn't even know they had that. Had to get my own drinks and food. You have to get your own towels poolside. You have to pay to use the umbrellas and beach chairs on the beach. (Insane!) Make sure you call early to reserve a good spot. Also a word of advice, don't walk on the painted deck without sandals! I got blisters from it being so hot!

Didn't try the spa. Looked really nice though but over priced. Felt very safe at this resort. Bell boys did a great job. A lot of younger, rude managers at the front desk. Not overly friendly. They deactivate your keys on Thursday regardless. What a pain to have to take all 3 keys back down to reactivate. Of course for safety reason.

I have been to Destin several times. If want any suggestions just e-mail me. My stay out of a 10 would be a 7.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
23 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed June 11, 2005

My husband and I stayed here when my husband was at Eglin AFB for a conference. I left the kids with relatives and went along. The hotel was wonderful!!!! I had such a great time relaxing in the pool and on the beach. Since this was the first time away from the kids in a few years I spent the 4 days we were there just relaxing and couldn't have asked for better atmosphere. Our room had a view of the beach and the pool. The room was extremely clean and neat. The housekeeping staff were wonderful with extra towels and anything else I asked for. The bell staff were extremely helpful. Since we were there before the official start of the summer season the hotel shuttle to the Silver Sands Outlet Mall wasn't getting much use (I was the only interested person) they drove me over personally in the hotel van. Once there they asked me what time I wanted to be picked up and they arrived right on time. This was wonderful since I was without a car since my husband was at the conference. The beach is beautiful and the 3 pools were very clean. Be sure you have plenty of money if you want to drink adult beverages. A strawberry daquari costs $7 a pop but since I was on vacation I didn't mind. I would definately stay there again. There does seem to be quite a few conventions there but there wasn't excess noise and no loud parties. The new outside bar and restaurant was great. You can sit right next to the beach. The barmaid said it had only been open a few weeks when we were there. The hotel is in a gated community which made me feel safe since I was by myself all day. Great walking trails and golf too. The only thing I disliked was coming home.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
12 Thank VARetiredAF
Austin, Texas
Reviewed June 2, 2005

We enjoyed every second of our brief stay. The rooms are comfy and have a gorgeous view of the blue waters. The beach is right out the back door and there are 2 large outdoor pools. Dinner at Seagars was delicious. We were only able to stay a short time, but will definitely be back.

7 Thank TxHornfan
fla
Reviewed May 8, 2005

I stayed at the Sandestin Beach resort this past weekend, at the Bayside Inn. It is a magnificient resort. We stayed at the Bayside Inn. I was traveling with my father and we had a resortview room. There is a small kitchen area - with a coffee maker and stove top. It wasnt new, but clean and comfortable. I will definitely come back here. There is so much to do - for all ages. There is a shuttle that will take you all over the property - which stops at all the hotels, as well as the beach, and all the shopping areas. Whenever your ready to be picked up - you just pick up the phone by the tram stop and tell them where you are and where you want to go, and they arrive within minutes. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. We ate at Finz by the beach which was delicious and then went to the village and what a scene that was. Lots of restaurants and bars, and the cutest shops. And its right on the water and its beautiful!! We ate at the broken egg for breakfast the next morning and that was also delicious and healthy. The only mistake I made was booking my trip on Hotwire. I found out I paid more than if I booked it directly online with the hotel. When I got to the hotel - they had no record of my reservation and I had to fight with hotwire on my cell phone for 2 hours until they finally refaxed the reservation information to the hotel. What a mistake that was. I also found out if you book directly with the hotel, they offer a 10% discount on their website. Ill never do that again. Plus hotwire was rude and not helpful in any way.

9 Thank riorio
NY
Reviewed May 2, 2005

We have stayed at many resort properties. After reading this board, I was sure I had made the wrong choice. Glad I decided to believe the postive postings.

This hotel is very nice. Three pools - one indoor, two outside. RIght on the Gulf of Mexico with spectacular sugary white sand. Front desk, valet, bell desk couldn't have been more attentive. Our room was VERY large. We stayed in the family tower and had a large room with an alcove with bunk beds, a full bath, and then an additional sink, a minibar, with another sink, microwave and coffe maker. 2 more double beds and a sleeper sofa that also slept 2. A very nice balcony with two chairs. Awesome view of the gulf. Our room was in very good condition and appeared to have been newly renovated. The baths were granite and marble.

THe pool bar was great, yes perhaps the prices were more expensive than if I schlepped a cooler of beer - but this is a resort! There was live entertainemnt outside by the pool and then again in the evening at the bar.

Yes, there were a few conventions occuring and TWO weddings and Tulane University Fraternity dinner - it made for a nice blend of people, not too crowded.

We had a very good time, and would love to return here and would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

Additionally, the HOtel is part of the Sandestin Resort and offers a complimentary shuttle all over the property - to the golf courses, tennis and Baytown, which is also nice for a little shopping and dinner. Our family of 4 (kids 12 & 10) loved this place!

• Stayed April 2005
8 Thank kosx4
Reviewed March 28, 2005

we have visited sandestin a few times and every time is great!!!!! during breakfast at the buffet they have a great chef that cooks wonderful waffles!!! OH MY GOSH they are amazing!!! I never liked waffles till i tried them there. man i must have gained 2000 pounds ok enough about that, lets get to the good stuff. The rooms are awesome, half of the rooms have bunk-beds for kids to enjoy, along with a king bed for the parents and a pull-out-sofa. The pools are great! there is an indoor pool for those cold rainy days and an outdoor one for those sun-shine days. the waiters will come around while you are tanning and take your order. you dont have to lift a finger till the bill comes around haha! the beach, now is the best thing there, BEAUTIFUL, powdery, white sand, and crystal clear blue water. Lots of room to soak up the sun! There is also an arcade for those un-sun-lovers but its pretty fun to go to at night when there isn't any sun to be in. the restaurants are FAB-U-LOUS!! Seagars even has famous people to come there sometimes. It has a collection of signatures from the famous that have visited. Great steaks, and gourmet food fit for the king of the world. Seagars is pricey but is well worth it. It has received top awards. Everyone is nice with good manners. Oh and they have wonderful virgin strawberry daquires! You oughta try one!!!

• Stayed May 2004, traveled on business