“Great location, service not very professional-$$$$ for every little thing”

Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Destin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 9, 2014

My husband and I were on a business trip and decided to stay at the Hilton instead of the Sandestin Beach resort because the Hilton had recently been renovated. Having said that, to be fair, when we travel on personal trips we usually stay at the next tier of hotels such as the 4 Seasons so my expectations tend to be a little high. The front desk was less than informative when I told the front desk person that I didn't want aaa room looking out at a roof as I had read about such rooms on trip advisor. I was told there was no way they could say what the view was which at best was an indication of stupidity or laziness as every hotel front desk person in any hotel I have stayed in knew the layout of its rooms. There was no valet to greet us at the front entrance and no one asked to help with our luggage. The first thing I saw when entering our room was that the screen on the balcony door was ripped. We called to get it repaired at about 1:30 in the afternoon but when we got back to the room at 5:00 it was still ripped. It was finally fixed later that evening after we called again. Lunch that day in the beachside cafe should have been lovely but wasn't. I ordered a fish taco , something that I had ordered in many restaurants. The fish (grouper) actually looked and tasted like a chicken mcnugget but not as moist. I told the waitress I assume it would be grilled not served as little fried fish nuggets and that I didn't eat fried food. She didn't offer to get me something else or take the price off our bill. The setting on the beach is great but the prices for what is called a beach setup is not. It was $45 for 2 chairs and an umbrella. We asked what it would be if we didn't need the umbrella and were told it would cost even more. Crazy. We were only allowed one towel per person and they protected these towels like they were gold.Down at the beach we asked the waitress for a bottle of cold water and a glass of ice. When she brought it i asked for a table or something to put the things on as I didn't want to hold them in my hands. I was told they didn't have any tables. The waitress was sweet and she said I could make a hole in the sand to hold my glass and bottle. This was getting crazier as for $45 I didn't want to put my things in the sand.Finally I was brought I child's pail to put my things in. Ridiculous!!!
The next morning I went to have breakfast and was asked not once but four separate times if I wanted the buffet. I guess it is easier since everything is ready made. I wanted a latte but they only served regular coffee. Definitely not too upscale. Coffee and an egg/cheese/ham sandwich came to more than $20 and it was a greasy mess. The next morning I gave in and had the buffet which was an improvement and must have been why the staff was pushing it. don't even try to get an iced tea from the hotel's Starbucks as they have no such thing. As a matter of fact, if you don't want a soda for an exorbitant price from the gift shop you will go thirsty. The fitness room didn't have any of the niceties that some hotel's offer such as cold towels. The beds were comfortable with good quality linens and pillows.The hotel was very clean and the rooms were updated but to sum it all up-an average resort.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Georgica14

Reviewed May 8, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for three nights while attending a business conference. This organization meets twice each year at cities throughout the Southeastern US. The group attempts to schedule the conferences at a variety of locations and members vote at each meeting to decide where we will meet the following year. For the first time since I have been attending this conference, we voted to return to the Destin Hilton next year - due to the hotel! The conference facilities were similar to other hotels, but the beach-side location and the amenities offered by the property made this a stand-out location. Four swimming pools, five restaurants ... and the list goes on. The Gulf of Mexico and the fine sugar sand are the real draws and the Hilton takes advantage of those natural benefits in a big way.

Room Tip: The hotel website offers excellent descriptions of the room types and associated prices. There are...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Mark D
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Staff was very helpful and courteous. Room was well appointed, more on the expensive side but very nice none the less. Only downside we experienced was one night we couldn't get bath water as hot as we would have liked. Next day we didn't have any problems.

Room Tip: Was in Room 456 opposite from the emerald tower, only had a very partial view of the ocean and too m...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank joe c
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Usual things that suggest less than immaculate maintenance: crackling phone, poor wifi connectivity,and a slightly lumpy bed. Clearly IMO more for inexpensive family beach vacations. If hotels renovate every 7 years say I would estimate that this was about year 3- I'm guessing here of course but that's the feeling I got.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank trripman
Reviewed May 6, 2014

I was recently in the Destin area for a conference. I extended my stay over the weekend because the weather was so nice, but didn't have the availability in the hotel I had been staying in. I found this one on the hhonors website and stayed over the weekend under the military rate. Beach front, fourteenth floor for $146.00 per night. In addition to the great cost, the resort has a great pool area and beach. The valet parking was only $20 per day and well worth the cost because those guys are fast! Anyway, I'll stay again. It was a real good time.

Room Tip: Show up early on check-in day. Complimentary valet and there is lots to do while waiting for your ro...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2014

we stay there for 2 night. the room was just ok nothing seem special and look really old. because it right of the beach not mean you can sit on the beach chair as a hilton guess, the price not include! sushi at the lobby, don't not eat it, the chef might be Japanese but he do not know how to make sushi, even cut the sashimi he still can't do it right, breakfast buffet $20 per person... stay at the Luau in sanddestin is way better, they have better room and bed there.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 5, 2014

The new Lobby is extremely done well and the colors are striking . The new Sandcastles and Bar with HUGE big screens are very welcome. Since our last trip I was surprised to find the service very lacking, alot of non smiles and I don't knows .It is now hard to find a clock outside so you can plan your day , lunch, people meets etc ...when I asked the time at Barefoots I was shocked to hear " I don't have time to check ". Starbucks opens 10 minutes late and an arguement with guest and clerk breaks out .I love the Hilton at Sandestin and overlook a lot because it has the best location and atmosphere .But we really shouldn't overlook bad service..

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple