“Great hotel right on the beach”

Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Destin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Woodstock, United States
“Great hotel right on the beach”
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Beautiful hotel and great stay. With three young children, the room was conveniently equipped with bunk beds and a pull out sleeper sofa. It was clean and spacious. Being able to walk right out to the beach from the lobby was a plus with young kids. Food was good, although we were disappointed that the outdoor restaurant/bar at pool doesn't offer kid menu items. Paying $15 per kids meal gets expensive. The grounds were beautiful with walking trails and golf. Overall, loved our experience and would definitely return.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

1 Thank Gabrielle F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Chose hotel for the amenities - spa, beach, beach bar/restaurant, watersports. Upon arrival I was very impressed with the styling of the hotel but did not enjoy my stay. The service from all of the staff I encountered were impeccable; the beach bar is beautiful with ample comfortable seating and there are plenty of pools and deck seating overlooking the beach if you don't want to use the beachfront service. The spa was also beautiful and I added a day pass to pass the time on a rainy day; Again I found the service impeccable. So, it should've been a great weekend.

The problem with my entire stay was the room. It was reasonably priced and beautiful (ocean front, spa tower, double) with a refrigerator and coffee bar. Initially I was impressed with the thoughtfulness of the layout, the finishes, and the balcony with seating. Eventually though I'd come to dread it. Unfortunately it was a rainy weekend or I wouldn't have spent much time in it at all. As a result what I suffered through was 100% humidity, a series of coffee makers that refused to brew more than 1/4 cup of coffee at a time, and worst of all, the ever present smell of a fish market for FOUR days. The problem with the fridge was that it was turned off for some period of time before my arrival with no desiccant-a known refrigerator no-no. I complained no less than three times and all I was offered were repeated attempts by the cleaning staff and a $100 credit. What I needed was a new refrigerator or a new room; neither of which were made available. I was told the fridge would be replaced, but all they did was send up housekeeping to wipe it down. To combat the humidity I turned the air conditioning down, which mean I froze, and it didn't help. For a new building it should have better insulation/sealing.

Honestly, that and the outrageous pricing of absolutely everything on the resort probably will keep me from coming back. I wasn't seeking a budget hotel, but there was such a high markup on everything I started to feel taken advantage of. Dined at Sandcastles (I live next to some exceptional steak houses at home so Seagar's wasn't of interest to me) and it was way overpriced average food...with a seriously poor wine list. The bartender had to look up how to make an old-fashioned...and on it went.

All in all I was miserable for 3 of my 4 day stay. It just didn't live up to its potential.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Elizabeth_ATL
HSBGeneralManager, General Manager at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Elizabeth _ATL,

I do appreciate both the positive and negative comments you shared regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Sandestin Beach. We will definitely use both, to enforce what we do right and learn from what went wrong.

I am sorry that you encountered poor weather during your stay. If we have the opportunity of hosting you again in the future I would recommend you visit our concierge desk, where our helpful associates may recommend a variety of other activities that you can enjoy during inclement weather. South Walton County, Florida has so much to offer in addition to our award winning beaches.

Georgia
Reviewed April 7, 2014

We just returned from a long weekend stay at the Hilton Sandestin. We arrived at 4:30pm on a Friday and the check-in process went smoothly and there were no delays in getting our room. The bell man (Jose) that escorted us to our room was very friendly and patient with us due to the fact that we were traveling with an infant and transporting quite a bit of items (pack-n-play crib, infant bouncer, stroller, etc) on the luggage cart. The hotel staff was very accommodating with us as well and responded to all of our needs. We had a beachfront corner room that provided excellent views of both the ocean/beach and resort views.

There were a lot of families there due to spring break and the pools did get pretty crowded but was not unbearable. Although the views were nice and the room was spacious, I do think the rate was a bit expensive considering there were additional fees for parking, Wi-Fi, beach chairs/umbrellas, etc.

Upon check-out, the bellman (didn't get his name) that assisted us was rude. When he arrived at our room, he practically threw everything on the luggage cart and took off down the hall leaving us out of sight. Fortunately he did hold the elevator for us to get on however by the time we got downstairs, he took off out of the elevator with the luggage cart and left us behind. At this point, I placed the tip that I was going to give him back in my pocket. By the time we got to the front desk he was no where in sight and we had to look around for our luggage cart. When we pulled the SUV around, I went back inside to get our luggage cart to push outside to the SUV and out of no where the bellman appeared and grabbed the cart from me to push out to the SUV. As "WE" were loading the back of the SUV, the bellman stood behind us watching and holding on to the luggage cart. Once we finished loading up and were walking to get inside the vehicle, the bellman snapped at us and stated "we make our money on tips". I look at him and reached in my pocket and showed him the tip that I had in my hand and told him that he would have gotten a tip had he been more attentive and showed an interest in us or our stay. This was a total turn off and left a bad taste on our stay.

Room Tip: the beach front rooms offer good views...just a little pricey
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank eridam
Dear Eridam,

We appreciate the compliments you posted on Trip Advisor about your stay with us here at the Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa.

For over 30 years the Hilton Sandestin located along the beautiful shores South Walton, Florida has been known for its exemplary service, great amenities and southern charm making us one of the first choices to host families during their Spring Break.

I was informed by our Guest Services Director regarding your poor bellman experience upon checking out. Though the description of the encounter does vary between the two. I do apologize for the perception of our staff being rude.

Douglasville
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Everything was good except bathroom could have been cleaned better (shower), used disposible cups the first night they were not replaced. Had an all day spa pass and was told I could come in and out all day, when I went back later in the day the guy at the desk wasnt helpful, acted like I was trying to get in without a pass, If they are going to take a card they need to have a standing list of guest with day pass.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

1 Thank Aretha P
Dear Aretha P,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your past experiences at the Hilton Sandestin Beach. It has been our pleasure to serve you.

I am so very sorry to learn that you personally encountered issues with the overall cleanliness of your bathroom and that we have not met your expectations and needs. Your experience does not reflect the standards of excellence for which we’ve become known as an award-winning destination in the South. It is our responsibility to ensure each and every guest leaves our property with positive memories and a desire to come back. It is our guests’ feedback that provides us with the opportunity to better ourselves, time and time again.

I have shared your concerns with the appropriate departments in order to prevent this situation in the future.

Marietta
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a weekend with the kids. Hotel is up to date, and for a Junior suite has plenty of room for our big family (2 doubles, bunk beds, and pull out couch). I thought the $350/nt price tag was a bit high, even for spring break. Good location, though, with lot of shopping, restaurants, and grocery stores nearby.

Had a problem with getting the room cleaned (they never cleaned it) and the front desk manager waived our parking ($10/nt) and gave us a $ comp. We would have taken a clean room but this satisfied us under the circumstances.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank KRY15
HSBGeneralManager, General Manager at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear KRY15,

We appreciate your complements as well as your constructive criticism regarding your recent stay here at the Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa.

Please know that I have shared your comments with our Housekeeping Managers to find out why your room was not cleaned during your stay. However, I am glad to hear that our Front Desk Manager came to some sort of resolution for our shortcomings.

Gardendale, United States
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Basic Hilton Property. Key is located on beach. Nothing special. Free Wi fi and continental breakfast to GOLD and Diamind members. Days Inn offers these benefits. I do not see the 350.00 a night value. The view 4 miles down the road is the same. 1 main restaurant and 1 High end restaurant that cost us over 200.00 for me and wife to eat filet and caesar salad with drinks and dessert. Kids program is 50 dollars each for 4 hours with snack and fun. Indoor pool and hot tub is nice. Exterior pools and hot tub are nice as well. Exterior pool side bar and shop where ice cream is available. Resort prices with average benefits.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

3 Thank Jeremy E
West Palm Beach, United States
Reviewed April 2, 2014

They've totally renovated this entire hotel and the rooms are well presented and extremely comfortable. The food is outstanding and the staff could not have been nicer or more helpful. Seagars is one of the best steakhouses anywhere. The beach is great and there is plenty to do in the area.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo