“poor value”

Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Destin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 3, 2014

A beautiful hotel with a nice room and nice view. The whole thing was in a tumult due to remodeling (?) and the staff didn't seem interested in making the experience normal. For example, coffee is normally available at a Starbucks, which was closed. Their solution was for me to order room service. More than half the facilities and services were closed or unavailable.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
HSBGeneralManager, General Manager at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dear Kevin H,

Thank you for your candid feedback regarding your stay with us here at the Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa.

We apologize that our service levels were not completely on point due to our renovation construction. We regret the inconvenience this caused you and your family and we're working with our staff on alternative resolutions to some of our services. We hope we can invite you back once our changes are complete.

Respectfully,

GARY BRIELMAYER I General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,720)

Reviewed February 27, 2014

I live here, but always enjoy my visits to the Hilton. The beach, the deck and outdoor bar/restaurant, the swimming pools, indoor and outdoor, and the restaurants are among the best in the world. I travel a lot, but have never found a resort as good as this one. You won't believe the sand and water. The hotel sits right on the beach and there is free tram service all over Sandestin resort, to the Village, the golf courses, and tennis facilities, not to mention a great marina. Just the best around.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the beach.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jay S
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Beautiful view and place. Once construction is finished it will be a great place to vacation. Recommend bringing the family here or a honeymoon place. I don't have anything else to write but this thing wants me to put a minimum of 200 characters which is really silly because I don't want to do that

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Visited the Hilton Sandestin for four nights in January 2014 for business. The meeting facilities were very nice and the food/service throughout the week was excellent. My king room was very nice and clean. Refrigerator, small microwave and nice flat screen TV (also had bunkbeds for those with children). The weather was very chilly the week I was there, but the beach looked nice and clean. The pool area had a lot of construction underway, but seems like it would be very nice when completed. I would recommend waiting to vacation there until the renovations are completed. It should be very nice.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank UWLgrad
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Our stay at this Hilton was quite possibly the best vacation my family has ever had. We specifically wanted to head south during an off-peak season and felt like we had almost the whole Hotel to ourselves despite at least 3 largely attended business/religious conferences taking place at the same time as our stay. The staff was incredibly attentive to us individually despite this.

The room was wonderful, peaceful and quiet. We did not once hear outside noise from the hallway or other guests. We had a family suite with a waterfront view and Hilton graciously provided a crib (as a courtesy-no extra charge) for our 1 year old. Every single call and room service request was handled promptly. In regards to the room, it was spacious, we stayed for a week and unpacked our things in the drawers provided. We used to hotels laundromat (not the laundry service) which was nice and convenient!

I am at a loss as to the complaints over the construction as I was told about this when booking the hotel and gladly took the risk of whatever inconvenience this may provide. I mean, come on, have you seen the ocean view???? There were a few times that we had to ask someone where to go (as some things like the spa and breakfast room were currently being worked on) but our questions were answered immediately and we always found our way.

We ordered room service four times during our stay and were pleased with the food. The breakfast buffet was DELICIOUS! I looked forward to it every morning and was happy that our daughter was able to eat free. Also, one quick note on the maids, THEY WERE PHENOMENAL! One of them even went so far as to wash our some dirty bottles we had left on one of the counters. They were all cleaned our and drying upside down on a towel. They totally went out of their way to make our stay a little more relaxing!

Our one small complaint would be this: the outdoor pool apparently has suffered some during the construction and the heater was not always working. Some days it was and some it wasn't. I'm sure this will be resolved during our next stay and am not worried.

From our room, we saw some of the most beautiful sunrises and sunsets imaginable. We slept every night with the door open so we could hear the waves. After coming home, I'm still missing the quiet reprieve those waves provide. I would HIGHLY recommend the Hilton Sandestin.

Room Tip: Definitely shoot for an ocean front view. The rooms ending in 16 or 17 (on all floors) have a perfec...
1  Thank rebekah S
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Serenity will once again be back at this location once the construction is complete. Throughout my quick stay, I would say that the staff catered to my families needs and were very professional and accommodating. I'm looking forward to returning after their March 1st grand reopening. Two issues; size of the "queen beds" and breakfast. The queen beds felt more like full size beds. Something to check into considering that Hilton is known for spacious rooms, beds included. Also be careful with the breakfast. We received breakfast coupons and didn't fully read that it was for continental breakfast. Since they are under construction, the breakfast area is in close quarters with the hot items in the front. Very clever set up if you are not paying attention. Just a FYI.

1  Thank sap811
HSBGeneralManager, General Manager at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear Sap811,

We here at the Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa appreciate your compliments regarding our service levels. In addition, I am pleased to hear that our property wide improvements did not cause you too many inconveniences during your stay with us.

I delighted to announce that on Saturday, March 1, 2014, the Hilton Sandestin Beach will debut fully refurbished Spa Tower guest rooms, a redesigned indoor pool and a dramatically enriched main lobby and arrival experience for our guests. The resort will also unveil its newly designed Sandcastles Restaurant and Lounge, Hadashi Sushi Bar and Serenity by the sea Spa.

Once again, thank you for your compliments and patients during this challenging time.

Gary Brielmayer

Reviewed February 22, 2014

I would not recommend staying that this Hilton property until all renovations are confirmed 100% complete. I would recommend if you have the opportunity to dine at Seagar's Prime Steaks and seafood located on this Hilton property. Try and reserve one of the wine rooms for a personal romantic evening. EXCELLENT DINING EXPERIENCE!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rodney M

Dear Rodney M,

Though we appreciate your compliments about Seagar’s Prime Steaks and Seafood Restaurant I am sorry to hear that our construction caused you some inconveniences during your Valentines Weekend stay. Please rest assured that our renovations will be completed by Saturday, March 1st 2014.

Our future guest will have the opportunity to enjoy over $25 million dollars in newly renovated Spa Tower guest rooms, newly designed dinning venues and enhancements to our award winning Serenity by the Sea Spa.

We hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the very near future.

GARY BRIELMAYER I General Manager