“Stunning Property”

Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Destin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 7, 2013

The view of the water from most of their rooms is amazing. The rooms are very clean and comfortable with great pillows and sheets. The hotel is right on the beach and has their own beach chairs that are nice to have along with several pools. We did not have a chance to dine in one of the finer restaurants on the property but heard the reviews were good. The golf courses are superb and vey well kept and the property is convenient to shopping, dining etc.. The staff was vey nice too..

Room Tip: the hotel was under construction on our stay and the noise levels were bad at times..
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Doug C
Write a ReviewReviews (2,685)

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Stayed here on business the first week of November. There was substantial construction taking place but the staff did everything possible to minimize inconveniences. The check in was flawless even though we had a minor issue with the reservation (that we messed up). The agent took care of it and checked us in even though we arrived three hours before the check in time of 4pm. The room booked was on the 9th floor facing to the southeast (opposite the pool area where construction was taking place). A gigantic junior suite with a king bed, bar area with mini-fridge and microwave. Although these rooms are 29 years old, Hilton has taken a lot of effort to maintain the quality. The hotel is located in the gated Sandestin property with security guards on duty 24/7. There is also free shuttle service throughout the Sandestin property that arrives at the hotel every 30 minutes. We used the tram to get to the Baytowne Village Wharf where we dined out each day. The good news was our stay was during the low season. The temps were too cool to get into the ocean or pools but this hotel has an indoor pool as well. The fitness center is well equipped with treadmills, ellipticals, and flat screen tv's. The staff was pleasant and always available to assist. This is probably one of the best Hilton properties I have stayed at. The next time I am in this area, I will definitely stay here if the price is right.

Room Tip: any room with a view (full or partial) of the beach
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank StephandJohn32244
HSBGeneralManager, General Manager at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Dear StephandJohn32,

Thank you for the compliments and we are pleased to hear that any inconveniences we may have caused was kept at a minimum during your stay here at the Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa.

Please be sure to visit us in March 2014 at the conclusion of Transformation. Hilton Sandestin Beach will debut fully refurbished Spa Tower guest rooms, a redesigned indoor pool and a dramatically enriched main lobby and arrival experience for our guests. The resort will also unveil new and upgraded designs for the Sandcastles Restaurant and Lounge, Hadashi Sushi Bar and Serenity by the sea Spa.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Hotel was great, staff was absolutely wonderful. Great view and walking distance to the beach and pools. We loved sitting around the fire pit at night. Very close to shopping malls. We loved sitting on our balcony in the morning overlooking the beach while we enjoyed our coffee.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Barbara S,

I am pleased you enjoyed your time with us here at the Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa. Late October and November offer some of the best weather to enjoy walking our sugar white sand beaches and beautiful sunsets.

We hope to see you again.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

I recently attended a conference at the Hilton Sandestin and was so impressed with the resort, staff and overall experience. Upon arriving, the front desk staff apologized for the construction, but, I didn't see or hear any construction work. I found out that a separate wing was closed and being completely renovated. The rooms were huge with great views of the beach, which is the nicest beach in Florida. I’ve lived in Key Biscayne, Palm Beach Gardens and Sarasota, so I think I am qualified to make this statement. The highlight of my brief visit was dining in Seagars. Wow. A professional staff, dressed in black & white, live piano music and an incredible menu that included tableside service for many items. It reminded me of the experiences I have had at some of the grand hotels like the Greenbrier and The Homestead. I can’t wait to return with my wife for a vacation.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Gary C,

We are flattered to hear that your dining experience in Seagar’s reminds you of such grand hotels. Seagar’s Prime Steaks & Seafood is the only property that I am aware of to offer all it cuts of beef as 100% USDA Prime. We hope you have the opportunity to visit us here at the Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa at the conclusion of our transformation March 2014.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

You pay too much money per night, on top of that you have to pay per day to park pay per day to use their Wi-Fi! If you ad the breakfast to your package its the same thing everyday. Not impressed at all for it to be a "Hilton". The only good thing was it was very nice.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Alisha K
HSBGeneralManager, General Manager at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Dear AlishaK,

We try very hard to offer a personalized and memorable experience and we're sorry to hear that cost was of concern. As we continue to make improvements and changes to our guest experience, we'll keep your comments in mind. We hope you'll consider giving us another opportunity to serve you, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

I wanted a special engagement weekend and that's exactly what I received. I was concerned about the renovations, but it didn't affect our stay in any way. Beautiful facility, great service, and a gorgeous beach! Will definitely be back and certainly recommend this hotel for any occasion! Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2013

My daughter and I decided to take a long weekend, and a friend recommended the Hilton based on their previous excellent experience. I was nervous about the construction, as the prime reason we were going was for a relaxing, quiet, spa-like experience. I reserved a beachfront room on their website, and made a phone call to the front desk requesting a room as far away from the construction as possible. When we arrived at 7:30 pm on Friday night, again I mentioned our room request, and we were given room 1425. I was very disappointed in this room. Since the room was in an inside corner, the view of the beach was only if you stood to the side - also, right under our balcony was the construction site! I promptly called to the front desk and the clerk said she had room 1010 available, which was awesome! Beautiful view of the gorgeous beachfront, no pool view, but we didn't care about that at all. The room was very nice; we really liked the two separate sinks (one in the dressing area by the closet) where we could each get ready at the same time. Room would be great for kids, too, with the unique bunk beds.

All the employees were very friendly and helpful. We received excellent advise on restaurants and activities. We ate at the restaurant for breakfast 2 mornings and the food was fine but the atmosphere wasn't great because it has temporarily been relocated to a conference room. We LOVED the beach chair and umbrella rental - so handy, and the beach guy was very nice. Yes, you have to pay, but what else are you going to do for a full afternoon for $27 (two chairs and large umbrella), and you don't have to lug around your own stuff. The beachfront is absolutely stunning, and the ocean was beautiful and clear. We used the spa 2 times for a massage and facial and were happy with our service.

As for the construction, we did not hear one sound until Monday morning, which unfortunately was during a spa appointment. It sounded like a jackhammer was right over our head - it was very loud and reverberated through the entire building! It lasted for about 1.5 hours, then stopped. While it was going on, it was pretty bad and we were so happy that it wasn't going on until the last day. I understand that this is necessary to accomplish their transformation but it would be really nice if they could alert the guests ahead of time when something like that was going to happen - I'm not talking about normal construction sounds. If you were on the beach, I am sure you couldn't even hear it, or maybe plan a trip to town while it was going to happen. The only other thing that could have been better is that the valet parking seemed a little disorganized. Several times there was no one there to take our keys. Getting the car was very quick, and they were friendly, though.

If you stay here, Coastal Cruisers bicycle rental will bring your bike to the hotel - it's a lot of fun to ride around on the bike paths on the resort. Another Broken Egg Café is located across the highway a short distance from the hotel and it was a pretty place with good food (for breakfast). Be sure and explore the bay area on the other side of the resort.

I would go again in a minute, this hotel is in the most perfect location directly on the beach. They are offering special rates now, and it is a super deal. Even though the restaurants and spa are not in their real "home", the special rates make up for it. I definitely recommend, and hope to go back very soon when their remodel is over.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms ending in 25 if you are looking for a beach view - view is not very good. R...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank LlanoSher
HSBGeneralManager, General Manager at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear LlanoSher,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us here at the Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa. In addition, I appreciate your patience and tolerance as we prepare for our upcoming 30 year anniversary. Rest assured that the next time you visit us here at the Hilton Sandestin you will enjoy the $12.5 million improvements we have made.

I hope to see you next year.