“Enjoying the sound of the gulf”

Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Destin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, United States
“Enjoying the sound of the gulf”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

If you book a room here in hopes of sitting on your balcony and enjoying he sound of the gulf; you might think about asking if a wedding with a reception and band on booking for the night you are staying there as well. You will be disappointed if you wish to order room service enjoy a bottle of wine and enjoy the gulf. Your chances of enjoying this activity will not take place until the last sound has ended. Note, calling the front desk or the MOD might get you three different responses when the event will be over as well as the standard insincere hotel apology!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

HSBGeneralManager, Manager of Hotel Operations at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Jacqueline H,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent experience with us at the Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa! I am disappointed to hear of the impact that the wedding reception had on your experience. I am also surprised to hear that when you inquired about when the music would stop that we weren’t able to give a consistent answer. We have this information readily available for all team members and I will follow up to ensure that we do not repeat this mistake going forward. Our destination is a very popular location for beach weddings and receptions as a result of our beautiful white sandy beaches and the wonderful amenities that our resort has to offer. But, our goal is to ensure that all guests enjoy their visit whether they are visiting for this reason or simply looking forward to some well deserved R&R. We will discuss this as a team to ensure that we do a better job of accomplishing this goal in the future. Thank you again for your feedback and we will look forward to your next visit with us at the Hilton Sandestin.

Warm Regards,
JACKSON CHERRY I Manager of Hotel Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
Tallahassee, United States
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Enjoyed staying at this hotel, for one thing the location is right on the beach. I liked having a balcony with a beach view. Great location and has a lot of amenities here. Internet and parking costs extra, which was the only drawback. The location can't be beat.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Shreveport
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Stayed at this luzurious hotel in May of 2013 and the service was excellent: check-in, housekeeping, food, and beach. Only problem was no microwave in room. However, there was a refrigerator. There were so many different type restaurants that it was hard to choose what to eat each night. There was also free shuttle service to nearby attractions and places of interest. The bed was large enough for one person and I had a beach view from the room.

Now the beach was a treat all of its own: white sand, lounge chairs, umbrellas, and rentals of boats.

The conference I attended had food served by the hotel and being on a gluten-free diet--my diet was catered to. I had plently to eat and many choices.

You can't go wrong vacationing in San Destin, FL, at the Hilton

Room Tip: Choose a room that faces the beach.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Montgomery, United States
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I called and made my reservation for a 5 day stay only to find out upon arrival that we must have been communicating on two totally different levels. However, the next day the front desk staff made my intentions a reality. We were able to have that beachfront room and our two granddaughters had a wonderful experience. That was our goal.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We just stayed at the Hilton for the 5th or 6th time. Normally we love it and plan to go back. However, this time it was like we were staying somewhere else. Very shocking. I had trouble booking the room and needed to speak to a person. The 800 # Hilton person was very helpful in answering my questions, but I had to call the hotel reservation person to book the room. They had it blocked for the length of time we wanted to stay in an attempt to make us book longer I was told. The 800# rep was great. Again the hotel rep was cold and not interested. First arrive, check in was not friendly except for the valet parking young man. The desk clerk acted as if she rather us not be there--indifferent, no eye contact. Told us our room number and I asked for a higher floor. She said no. We ended up on the back of the hotel looking at an UGLY pink bldg. with a blue roof. We never even knew rooms with these views were possible at the Hilton. For $250 a night in Sept seems like we could get better. My husband went down and spoke to a different front desk clerk he too was indifferent. He finally offered another room for an additional $30 per night. My husband said ok because the room for $250 was not worth it to be in. We moved -- 13th floor-- view was much better thought things were improving and we were going to have a nice trip. The hotel was very full and busy. Not a problem to us. Gave my son many children to play with. Our first evening there after being on the beach and at the pool we were going to eat at the poolside restaurant. Well, they stopped serving food at 4 since it was the off season. Seems to me if the hotel is so packed why not open it up later. But, even that is ok. So we went inside to the restaurant just inside the door. I was told we could not be in there with our swimsuits on and they asked us to leave. So we looked for someone to help us since the one who asked us to leave offered no other suggestion. We found a girl who was working her first night. So sweet. She went and found someone who let us eat outside on the patio of that restaurant as long as we were ok with the to go containers. They was very nice. However, the person who asked us to leave should have offered that. After 2 nights, I called the front desk to ask why it sounded like a subway train was running 24/7. They said they did not know what I was talking about and sent engineering. They ended up telling me it was the elevator and since they were so busy it never stopped. It was so loud. They did not have any where else to put us except back to the ugly pink bldg. view. They had conventions and weddings...I guess are more important than a frequent visitor on a family vacation. It was so loud I could not sleep. However, the engineering man called and tried to get something done for us. He ended up getting us free breakfast and had them waive the extra $30 to move us there. I think his name was Pete. He was wonderful and so friendly. Seems to be a pattern...the ones who are nice are not involved directly with the visitors and the ones that make you not want to stay there deal directly with the visitors. The hotel is about to start a remodel. However, I expected service to be as usual because the prices did not reflect nor did any one tell us to expect sub par service due to the upcoming remodel. The pools were FREEZING. Was told the indoor pool is usually heated but the heater was broken. Since the remodel is coming they did not want to fix it. The inside hot tub was soooo hot it felt like it would burn my skin so that was not an option either. The conversations around the hotel were all about the same things. We were not an isolated case. Other people complained about similar things. The pools has trash and "suds" floating around and no one ever cleaned them except in the mornings. Again, they are very busy so it seems like they would be paying attention to how clean things are and comfortable the pools/grounds are for all of the many guests. The beds are horrible, the water pressure is non existent, the inadequate balcony furniture is lacking, the employees indifferent attitudes are not acceptable. Had someone banging on our door at midnight looking for "William". We did not have a William, he would not leave. Then starts calling our room. The maids next door were so loud we had to go ask them to please be quiet since our son was taking a nap. Our maids for our exact room were great, these were different ladies. Our maids were friendly and talked to us. My list can keep going--we were only there 4 nights....however the one issue that says I will probably not be back is during check out. I did not get a receipt under my door. I wanted to see if the $30 was taken off the bill so if needed I could deal with it before I left and not after I got home. I went to the front desk. They had 2 people working and 2 very very long lines....15+ people waiting in each one. As I stood there a man from somewhere showed up and starting asking if he could help people. He helped some check out etc. I was waiting patiently and then I felt water drip on my head--then in my son's drink I was holding. I looked up and the roof was leaking on me. I told the man and he said "Well, Move Over". That was it....no I am sorry, no let me make it up to you, no let me get you a new drink......Just "move over". So based on the overall experience, I think I will....move to another hotel. If that was an isolated incident I could probably let it go. But from making the reservation to checking out, it was not a good experience. The pros are still the same as another review I had from 2 years ago when we stayed in the Ambassador Suite...great location, very nice grounds, pools etc. But those things can be found somewhere else where the experience and treatment are better.

Room Tip: Ask if the room is on the back of the bldg. or near the elevator. Never had issues in the past, not...
2 Thank neatbeachfreak
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 30, 2013

My wife stayed at the Hilton Sandestin September 3rd - 7th. Our treatment was wonderful by all the staff. They even provided us an upgrade to an ocean view suite in the emerald towers. I would highly recommend this room. The facility was very clean and the staff was attentive to our needs. The weather was perfect during our stay so we got good use out of the pools and private beach. The chair and umbrella rental for the beach was a bit pricey especially since most folks were walking up and using them for free. We had the breakfast buffet which was adequate for our stay, but Hilton does give you the option to order off the menu. Although, the Hilton does provide food on site if you plan on dining out I would recommend having a car as there is no restaurants close to the facility. I will say I believe there is a significant difference staying at this hotel during the busy season and off season. We did not experience any of the negative reviews of this hotel during our stay.

All in all, the trip was fantastic and we would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Nashville, United States
Reviewed September 28, 2013

For all these years I had not attended the TAR Fall Conference because I had thought it a long way to go for such little CE credits. Well, I finally got it! I love Destin! This was a way to take a break from work whil still learning and getting a few CE credits and stay in a very nice hotel on Destin's sugar sand beach! The hotel has every need covered. And the ocean views are spectacular!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business