“Excellent Hotel for Beach Experience”

Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Destin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 13, 2013

After staying at Hilton's throughout the US, this is one of the nicest in terms of overall appeal. From the great beach to the multiple pools and great restaurants, the Hilton in Sandestin provides everyone with a great experience. We stayed on a usually busy 4th of July week and despite the rainy weather, still had a great time. Luckily there is a lot to do at and around the hotel, so even when the water on the gulf was double red flagged, we were still able to enjoy ourselves.

Our Hilton HHonors Gold status gave us a great room upgrade from a King room to a King Oceanfront mini-suite, and the breakfast was top rate - love the fresh cooked omelets! The room was clean and linens fresh and I especially like that they have gone to larger in room safes that will fit most laptops.

All in all, definitely a top rate hotel and well worth it.

Room Tip: The ocean view and oceanfront rooms are awesome!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MdntRambler
Write a ReviewReviews (2,685)

Reviewed July 13, 2013

1. Monday night after running to the store I was unable to find a parking space. I had to wait for someone to leave to get a spot. This is pretty bad even though I spent $10 for parking. The parking spaces were so small that there was no room on either side so cars took up more than one spot. 2. A foul smelling blue cooler with rotten food was sitting by the lower entrance (near seagars) the whole time we were staying there. It smelt so bad every time you went through the those doors. Kids were joking about it that nobody took care of this. 3. One shower at the beach did not work so the lines always back up & had to wait for minutes to get off the beach back to the hotel. 4. We stayed in a first floor room. Several issues: a. Carpet in the hallway at the door was very dirty giving one an uninviting feeling from the start. b. The A/C was noisy creating some loud high pitched clicking noise the whole time we stayed there. c. The pull rod for the curtain at the slider door had been removed wand was placed in a corner with a screw on the floor. We had to yank the curtain open and closed d. It was nice to be able to exit the room to the pool area via the slider, but there was no key provided to allow us to clock the slider. So we could not feel comfortable going to the beach. e. It looks like the previous guests were smokers. The room had a smell the previous guests were smokers & there were cigarette butts all over the place on the concrete pad next to the slider, in the grass, in the mulch, etc. f. The grassy area just next to the slider had fire ants all over the place. We had to walk in the mulch to avoid them. 5. We ate at barefoots on Sunday evening near sundown and the service experience was less than desirable from the get go. a. I sat down & waited at least 10 minutes with no service. I saw a lot of servers walking by, but all seemed to no care and were completely unaware of my existence. Eventually a sever came by & got my drink order as I waited fro the rest of my family to arrive. b. I switched tables shortly later because he never came back & a better table became available. I told the waitress serving that table to tell the server that I had moved to a new table. Well after another 10 minutes she came back & I told her that he never ever came to help us. She apologized and took our order instead. c. The food tasted good & came out in a timely order. I ordered another half order of steamed shrimp cocktail after eating my grouper. The shrimp took forever, I'd say at least 25 minutes to come out. By that time all the kids had run off and it was just my wife & I at the table. 6. Ice cream shop closes too early & there is no ice cream available not even invidually wrapped anytime after 7 pm. We ended up driving to the grocery store down the street. I recommend adding a cooler with ice cream sandwiches for the guests. 7. The guest room books make no mention of breakfast being served at any of the restaurants. The night before I asked a hotel worker about breakfast and times that breakfast was served. He said the restaurant near the lobby usually has breakfast, but he did not know the times. We were late risers that day & went to the restaurant near the lobby to find out that breakfast is only served until 11 am. I must also mention that it was pretty sad to see that complimentary breakfast was not included with our room with the high price we had paid for it. All the other hotel chains provide breakfast why not Hilton?

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Hilton Sandestin is our favorite place for a family vacation. You really don't ever need to leave the property if you don't want to, although, there are plenty of shops, food, and activities within a short driving distance should you choose. Highly recommend!

Reviewed July 12, 2013

The Hotel is located on the beach - no road to cross. Beach views are good; however there is a condo that blocks a lot of the "front view". We had a family parlour that accommodated 6 easy nicely. If we were to return to Destin, this would probably stay at the Hilton again. Shuttle takes you to a nearby shopping area as well as Baytowne Wharf which is fantastic!

1  Thank Sue H
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We have stayed numerous places over the past 20 years and this is the first hotel I felt we WAY overpaid. I realize we went during the 4th of July week and the prices were somewhat higher than the norm due to demand, but $383.00 per night is WAY too much for this place. It's a prime location to the beach. That, I guess, justifies somewhat paying that high of price per night. The elevators are OLD and smell terrible! The rooms are pretty clean, but this is an OLD hotel and the rooms just need an overall renovation. The lobby and restaurants are nice. The indoor pool is super small and crowded. Pools need an update too and were dirty. The pictures really show it much nicer than it really is. The area that the hotel is in a gated community and the condos and surroundings are just beautiful. This is the only "hotel" in the Sandestin area on the beach. The rest are condos in the community. The beach at this hotel is beautiful as well. Loved the outside restaurant/bar and the room service food was awesome!! My only complaint is the price compared to the age of the hotel. Just know you are paying solely for the location and if you are spending time out of the hotel or on the beach, this is a wonderful place!!

1  Thank Kristi B
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We justified paying over $400 a night knowing we would be in a luxurious Hilton Resort Hotel that was on the beach. We requested a beachview room which we paid extra for and got a nice view of the hotel in front of the beach. They were nice enough to switch us to a higher floor with a better view however, the room was very disappointing. From the moment we walked in we noticed the dated furnishings (very worn and stained fabric on chairs and carpet) The room did not smell clean at all. There was mold growing out of the air vents and ceiling (no kidding, mold). The tv in the kids bunk area did not work. There was hair in the bathtub and we had to savor the fine aroma of marijuana from our fussy neighbors next door. We called security because they were fighting and the smell was very strong. Security supposedly came up but we dealt with this the entire 4 days of our stay. Since it was a holiday weekend and the hotel was full, we just decided not to complain further (hopeful they would leave) as it was obvious nothing could be done to switch us again, so we decided to make the best of it. After all we were there to hang out on the beach and didn't expect to be room bound the entire time. However, the rain kept us inside so that part didn't work out. The first night we came in late from the Wharf and decided to order dinner to take to our room. We waited over 30 minutes to get an order of shrimp and grits and two kids meals. The hostess was very apologetic and nice. However, after the long wait part of the order was left out. The hostess was kind enough to go back and make the order complete but we had to wait another 15 minutes on that. By now were starving, cant wait to eat the $30 shrimp and grits, but guess what, the shrimp was way undercooked and inedible. I was too exhausted to call down and get them to recook for me so I just trashed the food and went to bed. The next morning, I asked the hostess if I could speak with a manager to let them know of the night before. I told her of my experience and she said " I should have complained the night before because there is a different manager on duty and there is nothing they can do about it now". So considering she was a young girl and was busy with the breakfast crowd, I decided to ignore that unacceptable remark and kindly asked that she have a manager contact me at a less busy time and please relay the experience. However, I never heard back from anyone and of course we were charged the full amount. The beds, linens, pillows, mattresses were very subpar for a five star resort quality. My husbands back hurt so badly after sleeping on the mattress. The one good thing I will say is that due to the flooding rain they allowed us to check out two days early and did not hold us accountable

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
HSBGeneralManager, General Manager at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Michael M,

I'm very sorry to hear about the unfortunate experience you had and appreciate your candid feedback. It's always our goal to offer guests a great experience and we pride ourselves in our friendly and accommodating service. I can assure we're taking your comments very seriously and we would like to discuss the matter further with you to follow up.

Kind regards,

GARY BRIELMAYER I General Manager

HILTON SANDESTIN BEACH GOLF RESORT & SPA
t: +1 850 267 9500 I f: +1 850 267 0963

Reviewed July 12, 2013

There are rooms at this hotel that overlook the portable toilets and showers required for the public beach next door. This are a lot of good things about this hotel resort but some gotchas as well so be sure to do your research.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Sara J,

Thank you for your time to share your experience. It is always our goal to offer guests a great experience and the best room available. We do offer various room types and styles to our guest. I would highly recommend you ask one of our reservation specialist about our variety of room types when making reservations in order to insure you receive what you are asking for in the future.
However, we will look into the portable toilets located next door to see if they were arranged for a special event.

GARY BRIELMAYER I General Manager