“Security flaw”

Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Destin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 9, 2013

we stayed for 2 nights only on our way back from Orlando to Texas , we checked in went to the beach everything was great untill i opened my door and they were two young guys inside , we both freaked out , they were lost and tought this was their room , i asked if they had a key but they didnt , so it turns out that they called the lobby (linka) and a security officer (david) was sent to the room and opened the room for them and let them in ,he just ran their ID's and let them inside the room , something is wrong there , how can you let somebody inside any room by just picking up their Id info? nothing was missing and both guys were very embarrased as it was not their fault either, i was hoping to get at least a call from the lobby for an apologie or something but never heard anything from them , at the check out i was asked if everything was been ok , so i told the story to the fron desk clerk and she waived our self parking fees for 2 days (20value) for an expensive hotel i would"ve expected a little more.

Room Tip: Every room has a nice beach view , even the ones with partial view , no need to overpay ..
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
HSBGeneralManager, Manager of Hotel Operations at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear jruba1,
I cannot stress enough how embarrassed I am to hear of your experience and the lack of follow up that you received from our team in response to this type of situation! This is certainly not up to our very high safety and security standards that we expect here at the Hilton. Our guests safety is of the utmost importance and I have already reviewed the proper procedures with both the Security and Front Office Managers to stress the seriousness of this incident and ensure that we strictly abide by these procedures to avoid anything like this in the future. I am very interested in speaking with you further about this situation! If you would kindly contact me at the number listed below at your earliest convenience that would be most appreciated. Thank you very much for making us aware of this incident and I look forward to speaking with you in the near future.

t: +1 850 278 1073 I f: +1 850 267 0963

Write a ReviewReviews (2,720)

Reviewed July 9, 2013

This place is nice but not $349.00 a night nice I wouldnt pay $150 a night again. I can stay at a four seasons cheaper than that. The food was very average and cost way to much the convenience of eating on site is nice but not at double or triple the price. They gouge you every chance they get $13 per person for a slide $10 a day parking $3-5 bottle of water and $40 for 2 crappy chairs and an umbrella on the beach packed so tight together you have to crawl in it. All in all I probably wouldnt stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013
HSBGeneralManager, Manager of Hotel Operations at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Boone_04,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay with us here at the Hilton Sandestin Beach! I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your visit with us. Specifically I was disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy the quality of our culinary offerings as well as our beach setups. We take great pride in the quality of products and service that we provide our guests and I’m sorry to hear that we didn’t live up to our expectations in these areas. As for the pricing in culinary and beach setups, in our most recent cost comparison we determined that our pricing is in line or below what other similar resorts are charging. But we can certainly look in to this and determine if a change is needed. In lieu of minibars in our rooms we do provide select items and you are correct there is a charge for these items such as the water that you mentioned. Lastly, I hope that we informed you that the $13 per person for the large slide activity allows access to this activity for the entire day. I will be sure to discuss this with the team to ensure that we’re properly explaining this to each guest. Thank you again for your feedback and I know you said you probably wouldn’t stay with us again but I certainly hope that we have another opportunity to earn your business during your next visit to the Destin area.

t: +1 850 278 1073 I f: +1 850 267 0963

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I gave my Hilton Honors card 3 times and finally on the 3rd try they recognized that I was a Hilton Honors member and consquently gave my free breakfast vouchers on my 2nd night instead of giving me on the 1st night so I missed out on complimentary breakfast my first day. I felt the staff had inadequate training and professionalism and it was a zoo there over the weekend.

When you check in there are a bunch of gumballs in a glass container and kids were just piling in there with their bare hands grabbing the gumballs. I found it disgusting and I would not even want a gum ball when all these kids hands were in it.

The hotel is old and you can see that they did not put money into the rooms because I found mold in my room on the carpets and we eventually had to move to another room.

Overall, this was not a pleasant stay and I would not come back again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jeffrey1969D
HSBGeneralManager, General Manager at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Jeffrey 1969D,

I apologize for the confusion at the front desk in acknowledging your Hilton Honors status. I would be interested in receiving additional information regarding this matter. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss the matter further. In addition, allow me to reply to your other two comments you have listed below.
The red, white and blue gumballs you mentioned were intended to be decoration pieces for the 4th of July celebrations and not for consumptions. Apparently the temptation of the gumballs was more than the kids could bare to resist.
This coming fall we will be in the process of our second phase of renovations scheduled for completion at the end of February 2014. The 20 million renovations will include enhancements to all our public space, restaurants, spa and spa tower guest rooms.

GARY BRIELMAYER I General Manager

t: +1 850 267 9500 I f: +1 850 267 0963

Reviewed July 9, 2013

As a Diamond Member, this hotel and service did not meet with the high level of excellence I have come to expect from the Hilton brand. This experience has not turned me off to the brand, but I do not plan on visiting this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
HSBGeneralManager, Hotel Operations Manager at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Sylvester D,
I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent visit with us at the Hilton Sandestin Beach! Although we value all of our guests, we especially appreciate the loyalty of our Hilton Honors members and expect that the team recognizes you appropriately as such a valued guest when staying with us. We expect to exceed each guests expectations when it comes to the products and service that we provide and I’m disappointed to hear that we did not live up to our expectations during your visit. I am sorry to hear that you plan to stay elsewhere during your next visit to the Destin area. I would appreciate an opportunity to discuss the details of your visit so that I can address the specific service issues that you encountered to ensure that we do not make the same mistakes in the future. If you would kindly contact me at the number below I would love to have an opportunity to earn your business in the future.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Good location need to upgrade looks like from the 80's staff is very friendly and helpful and very good location. We like to stay in new hotels. I would stay here next time if upgraded. First time in Destin. View from room was beautiful. Just need to update rooms.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank mikewmdp

Dear Mikewmdp,

Thank you for deciding to spend your first vacation in Destin with us here at the Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa.
I would like to share with you the exciting news about our plans to completely transform the Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa this upcoming fall. Phase II of our renovations will take place this coming October which will include over 20 million dollars of improvements to our Resort. Please feel free to visit our website this coming fall for continual updates to our progress. I can assure you there will be a significant transformation coming for the spring of 2014!!

GARY BRIELMAYER I General Manager

t: +1 850 267 9500 I f: +1 850 267 0963

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Average hotel at beach front price. The hotel in general needs updating. The carpet is worn and the aroma is musty. There was significant storms during our stay which likely added to the moisture in the hotel. The restaurant and pool bar were average. The hotel was crowded but functional. Staff was helpful and courteous.

We had a huge corner suite with a wrap-around balcony. This is what made our trip exceptional! Even though the weather was sub par, we could enjoy the view from this location. We will stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2013

What a great getaway we had to San Destin! One of the best parts was the awesome room that we had. The view was incredible and we had so much room to spread out and really get a chance to relax. The double sinks were a huge bonus.

As far as the hotel staff goes, the customer service, from check in to check out, was stellar. Everyone was so helpful and friendly. We noticed that when we had any interaction with staff members, they always asked how our trip was going and wished us a good day or night. That was very refreshing. We loved the close access to the beach and the proximity to food, restrooms, towels, etc. It just made it so easy to focus on relaxing on the beach, which is exactly what we wanted to do. Every meal we had was good and of course, the Starbucks coffee was a HUGE plus. :-)

We have come to expect excellence from Hilton, and this did not disappoint! We are already planning our next trip to your resort in the very near future.
Additionally, we will certainly tell all of our friends and family about our great trip and that we recommend the Sandestin Hilton for their lodging needs.

Thank you again for making our much needed beach getaway perfect. It was everything and even more than we expected.

Heidi

Room Tip: We had a jr suite delux room, very nice. Very quit. The only cons were the pillows. "Feather li...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends