“Not Happy”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Orlando, Florida
“Not Happy”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I gave my Hilton Honors card 3 times and finally on the 3rd try they recognized that I was a Hilton Honors member and consquently gave my free breakfast vouchers on my 2nd night instead of giving me on the 1st night so I missed out on complimentary breakfast my first day. I felt the staff had inadequate training and professionalism and it was a zoo there over the weekend.

When you check in there are a bunch of gumballs in a glass container and kids were just piling in there with their bare hands grabbing the gumballs. I found it disgusting and I would not even want a gum ball when all these kids hands were in it.

The hotel is old and you can see that they did not put money into the rooms because I found mold in my room on the carpets and we eventually had to move to another room.

Overall, this was not a pleasant stay and I would not come back again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeffrey1969D
HSBGeneralManager, General Manager at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Jeffrey 1969D,

I apologize for the confusion at the front desk in acknowledging your Hilton Honors status. I would be interested in receiving additional information regarding this matter. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss the matter further. In addition, allow me to reply to your other two comments you have listed below.
The red, white and blue gumballs you mentioned were intended to be decoration pieces for the 4th of July celebrations and not for consumptions. Apparently the temptation of the gumballs was more than the kids could bare to resist.
This coming fall we will be in the process of our second phase of renovations scheduled for completion at the end of February 2014. The 20 million renovations will include enhancements to all our public space, restaurants, spa and spa tower guest rooms.

t: +1 850 267 9500 I f: +1 850 267 0963

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
Cincinnati, United States
Reviewed July 9, 2013

As a Diamond Member, this hotel and service did not meet with the high level of excellence I have come to expect from the Hilton brand. This experience has not turned me off to the brand, but I do not plan on visiting this hotel in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

HSBGeneralManager, Hotel Operations Manager at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Sylvester D,
I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent visit with us at the Hilton Sandestin Beach! Although we value all of our guests, we especially appreciate the loyalty of our Hilton Honors members and expect that the team recognizes you appropriately as such a valued guest when staying with us. We expect to exceed each guests expectations when it comes to the products and service that we provide and I’m disappointed to hear that we did not live up to our expectations during your visit. I am sorry to hear that you plan to stay elsewhere during your next visit to the Destin area. I would appreciate an opportunity to discuss the details of your visit so that I can address the specific service issues that you encountered to ensure that we do not make the same mistakes in the future. If you would kindly contact me at the number below I would love to have an opportunity to earn your business in the future.

Warm Regards,
JACKSON CHERRY I Manager of Hotel Operations
deer park,tx
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Good location need to upgrade looks like from the 80's staff is very friendly and helpful and very good location. We like to stay in new hotels. I would stay here next time if upgraded. First time in Destin. View from room was beautiful. Just need to update rooms.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank mikewmdp
Dear Mikewmdp,

Thank you for deciding to spend your first vacation in Destin with us here at the Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa.
I would like to share with you the exciting news about our plans to completely transform the Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa this upcoming fall. Phase II of our renovations will take place this coming October which will include over 20 million dollars of improvements to our Resort. Please feel free to visit our website this coming fall for continual updates to our progress. I can assure you there will be a significant transformation coming for the spring of 2014!!

Knoxville, TN
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Average hotel at beach front price. The hotel in general needs updating. The carpet is worn and the aroma is musty. There was significant storms during our stay which likely added to the moisture in the hotel. The restaurant and pool bar were average. The hotel was crowded but functional. Staff was helpful and courteous.

We had a huge corner suite with a wrap-around balcony. This is what made our trip exceptional! Even though the weather was sub par, we could enjoy the view from this location. We will stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 8, 2013

What a great getaway we had to San Destin! One of the best parts was the awesome room that we had. The view was incredible and we had so much room to spread out and really get a chance to relax. The double sinks were a huge bonus.

As far as the hotel staff goes, the customer service, from check in to check out, was stellar. Everyone was so helpful and friendly. We noticed that when we had any interaction with staff members, they always asked how our trip was going and wished us a good day or night. That was very refreshing. We loved the close access to the beach and the proximity to food, restrooms, towels, etc. It just made it so easy to focus on relaxing on the beach, which is exactly what we wanted to do. Every meal we had was good and of course, the Starbucks coffee was a HUGE plus. :-)

We have come to expect excellence from Hilton, and this did not disappoint! We are already planning our next trip to your resort in the very near future.
Additionally, we will certainly tell all of our friends and family about our great trip and that we recommend the Sandestin Hilton for their lodging needs.

Thank you again for making our much needed beach getaway perfect. It was everything and even more than we expected.

Heidi

Room Tip: We had a jr suite delux room, very nice. Very quit. The only cons were the pillows. "Feather li...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We have been staying at this hotel for over 5 years now. We have always enjoyed it very much! This year was a little different. It seems like the hotel is getting a little run down. Our room was a Junior Deluxe Suite with 2 Queens, Sofa Sleeper and 2 bunk beds. Check in was nice and they had our room ready before 3:00PM. The room itself was dated a little, carpet torn by sliding glass door. Our stay started June 30th and check out was supposed to be July 5th. On July the 2nd a family moved in to the room next to us and had an extremely loud child that cried all the time. We could not sleep that night. The next day we requested to be moved. Because the hotel was so full they could not move us to another room. There was no way we could stay there another night. I requested to cancel our future nights and we would go elsewhere. They said they would still have to charge us for the night of the 3rd. So... we checked out and opted not to spend another night with a screaming child next door to us. We were not charged for the 4th of July. I think under the circumstances we should not have been charged for the 3rd since we were forced to leave and make other 4th of July plans.

One night our microwave stopped working and they sent up an engineer to replace it right away. He was very nice and installed a brand new one. Beds were very comfortable. Get a room above the 7th floor otherwise a condo building might block your view.

What I liked the best about the hotel is being able to walk out on the beach from the hotel.

Parking is $10 a day for self-park and $20 for Valet. Wi-Fi is $10 a day and not included.

I don't think we will being going back again but I think for families with kids younger than 12 it could be a nice option.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Majorie21,

We know you have many destinations and local choices to choose from for accommodations. First, I would like to thank you and your family for choosing to stay with us over the past five years here at the Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa. I would like to speak with you further regarding your decision to check out early. I may be reached at the phone number listed below.

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

We chose to stay here on our way back to Texas. It was a great choice, we got it for a good price using our AAA card. Beautiful beach and pools. We will definitely be back. I highly encourage you to educate yourself on rip currents. Though that has nothing to do with the hotel I wish someone would've told me how serious/scary they can be. One carried my 9 year old son out into the ocean! There are no lifeguards so please educate yourself and kids on what to do.

• Stayed July 2013