“Great for kids”

Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 39 Hotels in Destin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 23, 2008

Stayed 5.17 - 22.08. We stayed with points so cannot speak from a cost perspective. My dad is a diamond member so that got us free continental breakfast and internet in the room. Otherwise the breakfast was a whopping $19.95 and the internet was $9.95 plus tax. For the full buffet breakfast you add an additional $7.50. Other costs....an umbrella and two chairs at the beach was $40 for full day and $25 for a half. Very pricey in my opinion. The restaurant at the pool was very expensive and would not recommend.

The hotel rooms and staff were great. The bunk beds for the kids were great and separated from the rest of the room. The rooms were large so the kids had room to do things as well. Beds were comfortable, sinks drained, water was hot, etc.

I would expect to have wi-fi in the hotel rooms, but only could get that down in the lobby area.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank agie95

Reviewed May 23, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton Sandestin for our Honeymoon. We were there from May 11th to May 15th, 2008. The hotel is beautiful and the customer service is outstanding. It was the best customer service we had ever experienced from the time we drove in through the person at the security gate until we left. We had a great queen suite (with the extra bunk beds) on the 14th floor that was ocean view but had a wonderful view of the resort and the ocean. We really liked the fact that we could just walk right out to the beach. The beds were super comfy and the tv's in the room were huge. If you are planning to go to Destin, definitely book at the Hilton and check out their spa which was very nice.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SpecialKRK
Reviewed May 18, 2008

-The hotel room was incredible. Outstanding view of the beach, which is one of the best beaches in North America. The room needed a little updating but the bed and the layout of the room more than made up for older carpet and wallpaper. No matter what the cost of the upgrade, take the balcony rooms, they are worth it. Although it was pretty chilly in the evenings this time of year, the beach was very nice, even in bathing suit's.
-The bed was very comfortable, large, and plush.
-The room had a stocked refrigerator;however, you had to call down to housekeeping to have it stocked.
-The hotel rest. was very good, but very expensive ($18.00+tax). Lunch was more moderate ($10-14). The hotel bar was exceptional, good selection, but did not have enough staff to work during the weeknights. The Oyster bar outside, but on the hotel property, made eating at the hotel nice (very good selection).
-The golf course on the resort is a pitch and put, but there are other great courses around that make up for it.
-Numerous great resturaunts around the property, the outlet mall, bass pro shop, hard rock cafe, etc are about 5 miles away.

Hints: Hilton gold members are automatically upgraded to the next higher room, internet is free, and you will receive free continental breakfast coupons for the duration of your stay (or you can use these to get up to $11 off of the regular breakfast buffet price.

Rent a car, the shuttle from the the airport is $60 one way. Cabs are plentiful from the hotel but coming back is another story. The hotel shuttle runs all over the property (which is enourmous) but is on a 30 minute schedule at all stops and doesn't run after a certain time.

NEGATIVE: Even though this is a large convention hotel, they never had enough people working the front desk. Check in, even as a hilton honors member (pre-check in) was still a 20 minute ordeal. Check-out, with billing changes, plan on 30+ minutes.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
4  Thank Ebazinam
Reviewed April 27, 2008

We stayed at the Sandestin Hilton for Spring Break, April 2 - 6, 2008. This is my 3rd year staying here for spring break. We stay here for two reasons: beautiful beach and bunk beds in a spacious room. I have 3 children (8,7 and 5). The bunk beds in the junior suite allow us to comfortably share one room. The hotel has been renovated but still shows its age. Our toilet kept clogging and not nearly enough elevators for the number of rooms and guests. My children love it here, and as long as the rates are reasonable we will keep coming. This year we paid $129/night. Indoor pool is fantastic, and the beach can't be beat. I highly recommend this hotel for families with elementary school age children, just remember its an older hotel and your room may have some maintenance issues.

2  Thank bravos66
Reviewed April 22, 2008

Let’s start with the positives: The Sandestin Hilton Golf Resort & Spa sits on the prettiest piece of beach that this world traveler has ever seen. Though the Florida Panhandle’s white powder beaches are well known in the region, they’re not so famous beyond the Southeastern US. And that’s a good thing, since it means that you should have plenty of towel space on the sand.

This Hilton property is part of a much larger resort development encompassing a golf course, numerous condominium complexes, and shopping areas. It’s actually outside/on the periphery of Destin proper, which has gone upscale in a big way, and though it’s geographically close to other “Redneck Riviera” beach towns like Ft. Walton Beach, it’s worlds away in terms of amenities and sophistication.

Our family of 2 thirtysomething adults and 2 twin toddlers, aged 4, really enjoyed the beach and outdoor pool area. (There’s also an enclosed heated pool if your visit coincides with bad weather.) Beyond the standard arrangement of 2 queen size beds, our room also featured bunk beds set into wall next to the entrance, which enabled the adults to stay awake into the night without disturbing the kids. The room décor was a bit like that of the rest of the hotel: solidly traditional, with country club-like greens and browns dominant. Which brings me to my main issue with this golf resort property: the Caddyshack factor.

Fans of sophomoric Chevy Chase comedies from the seventies will immediately relate to the slightly stodgy surroundings, which, though contemporary, seem to exhale an air of exclusivity. We arrived at night and were a little taken aback by the guard stationed by the main entrance, who gruffly asked to see our parking pass. (He softened slightly when we explained that we were just arriving, but I wondered if that was really such an uncommon occurrence at the main entrance to a hotel.) Any ill feeling was mitigated by the bell staff, who leapt over buildings to make us feel welcome.

Would-be guests are advised to beware the hidden fees at this property. Charging $10 for parking might make sense in a city setting, less so on a sprawling suburban campus. $10 plus tip for valet parking seemed a little high, as did the nearly $20 per person breakfast buffet (thankfully, kids under 6 eat free). In a hotel of this caliber, I expect free wireless Internet in my room, and not to have to cough up $10 a day for this privilege. In other words, beyond complimentary beach towels and free fishwrap (USA Today), expect to be nickel and dimed for just about everything else at this property.

That said, would I stay again? Definitely. If you want a modicum of luxury – even of the hoary Caddyshack variety – amid the most perfect beaches imaginable, look no further.

3  Thank dwcama
Reviewed April 19, 2008

Large rooms that over-look pool and beach. The beds were large and very comfortable. Balconys are perfect size and have nice furniture to sit and have wine and watch the sun set.
The pools are clean and beautiful. Beaches are wonderful with great drink service.

This hotel has ideal location to outlet malls, little shops, restaurants and the grounds surrounding are beautiful.

I would come again and again.

Stayed: March 2006
Reviewed April 14, 2008

I just can't understand what all the negativity is about with some of these peoples reviews. We had never been to Destin before and I picked the hotel and since I reserved my room well ahead of time, got the AAA rate. It was a lot less than what they were getting for rooms even a month in advance. Because of all the negative reviews, I was a little apprehensive about what to expect. I was blown away. I walked up to the counter at 3:30 PM when we arrived and was attended to immediately. The fellow at the counter even said, oh I see you are a gold VIP member. I have some extra stuff for you. I got an envelope with a code to get free network connectivity in the room (wireless is free in the lobby). It didn't bother me to use the cable. We also received breakfast coupons, 2 for each day of our stay. The hotel was totally full with some weddings, a couple of business meetings and all of the metro Atlanta area on spring break, most of them were there in the hotel! The bellhop was very personable and I was impressed with the way all the service people were not running around with their hands out expecting a tip like most resorts. We wanted to tip them, but had to chase them down to tip them! We had no poor housekeeping and our room was upgraded from a jr suite part beach view to a deluxe jr suite with a great beach view! I went with my sister and her 15 year old son and his friend. The kids liked the bunk beds and their own TV. The room was definitely updated. It was as good or better than any other Hilton I have stayed at. I preordered a fruit and cheese tray and a bottle of wine for my sister and me and they were in there almost before we got in the room good! Housekeeping took care of all the feather pillows and down duvet immediately. I'm allergic. The weather was perfect for most of the time we were there. Tuesday and Wednesday were very nice. The wind was a little hellish on Thursday, Friday was the perfect beach day and Saturday was rainy and cool. We left on Sunday but it was another beautiful day, but a little cooler than it had been. We watched a wedding on the beach on Saturday night from our balcony. I expected the high food and beverage prices, so I was not shocked by them. They actually seemed about normal for a resort. Orlando was worse! There is a Publix really close and we bought the boys a lot of snack food and we made baked potatoes in the microwave. Publix fried chicken is AWESOME. We ate at Poppy's Seafood at Baytown Wharf. The food was very good. I was upset that the waitress poured bottled water into our water glasses without telling us they were going to charge $6 for it! I ordered Lobster Ravioli and it was so good. The Pina Colada was not very good. My whole stay was EXCELLENT! I was not disappointed in ANYTHING. I found everyone I encountered on the hotel staff very friendly and willing to do anything to make my stay more pleasant. This is one of the best spring break vacations I have ever had. Oh yeah and if you are on a budget do NOT go to Seagars. There is nothing inexpensive in there, but the food is GREAT! I can't believe the resort shuttle service charges $10 per person to take you to the outlet mall. It's only 2 miles! We drove there ourselves. It was fun because there are so many shops. If you are hanging around the Hilton pool or barefoots beach deck try the Key Lime cocktail, man that is a great drink! We had a waitress named Rianda and she was great. She helped us both at the pool and at the barefoots deck. I so wish I was still there, they are calling for snow flurries here in Atlanta tonight!

3  Thank briehl