“Poor housekeeping” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Roachdale, Indiana
“Poor housekeeping”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Room had a full ocean view but also all a full view of sanitation and pool pumps. Pumps were located right below our first floor room. Bathroom had blood on the wall above sink and we had ants in our room. Housekeeping knocked on door and before I could answer she walked in stating I forgot to leave you water. We had water and she left no water. Pretty sure she was coming in to go through our belongs thinking we weren't there. Never again

• Stayed November 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Peggy M
HSBGeneralManager, General Manager at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Mrs. Peggy M.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us it is important to hear our guests comments. We are pleased you enjoyed a great gulf view; there a couple of rooms that have equipment on the deck that are also visible. We working on a resolution to make sure view lines are as uncluttered as possible from all rooms.

In regards to the cleanliness of your room, first allow me to apologies for the inconvenience. I would highly recommend in the future if we have not met your expectations or inadvertently missed something in your room to please notify us immediately so we have the opportunity to correct the matter and keep you pleased in the process. Our staff does work very hard to clean the rooms and then a second person will inspect guest rooms.

Our staff is extremely committed and proud of hosting our guests’ stay insuring that they return year over year. We hope that you will return and see for yourself that your comments are important and we do take steps to address them with the hotel staff.

Respectfully,

GARY BRIELMAYER I General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I attended a series of business related meetings at this facility over several days and found it to be a comfortable and well maintained hotel. Notably the staff were happy, friendly and attentive. The room was very nice, well kept and had a nice beach view. While I did not eat there, the signature restaurant, Seagars, was noted by associates to be worth visiting. The one thing I found repugnant about the hotel is that they require you to sign a document at check in that if evidence of smoking in room is found they will assess a fine to your credit card. I do not smoke, but if I did I would not smoke in a nonsmoking facility. I found this tactic to be Gestapo like. Who is the judge? Who is the jury? Give me a break Hilton!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Stephen S
HSBGeneralManager, General Manager at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Stephen S,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent visits to the Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa. Our entire staff works very hard to ensure our guests comfort while staying with us. I am sorry that you found the Non-smoking slip to be over the top. In no way do we mean to be overly restrictive, but we have found that some guests do not always adhere to our non-smoking policy. Charging guests for smoking in a nonsmoking room has become a common practice in our industry and we do want to make sure guests are aware of the potential charge.

Gary Brielmayer
Bremen, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

Wow! We arrived at the property immediately after dark to find that we could not access the property because we were riding a motorcycle and motorcycles are not allowed. They must hate them so much that they have installed legal covenants to forbid them. There was no mention of this when we booked the reservation, which would have been helpful… We cancelled the reservation and booked another. Felt a little discriminatory to us.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank SeeinAmerica
HSBGeneralManager, General Manager at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry for the miscommunication regarding the policy on motorcycles and apologize for you inconvenience. We reside on a private resort that does not allow motorcycles and are forced to adhere to this policy. We will certainly take a look at all of our web sites and publications and make a sincere effort to make sure that this information is clearly communicated. If you would like to discuss further please feel free to contact the property.

Gary Brielmayer
Mississippi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

It was a great weekend to go chill out and not think about a thing other than waves and sand. Both of us visited the spa and it was well done. This property has aged a bit, but it's still run by some top notch folks and I think we are due to go back again in a couple of months. I like going in non-peak times because it's a little more peaceful. Along with fewer guests, there are sometimes fewer staff but no major issues.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Riverside, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

We booked a stay here for a nice little family getaway. The room was a good size with a separate area for bunk beds when you first enter and then it opened into the main suite. The spa was very tranquil and we received a good massage. No where near the best I have had which is a shame because the prices were definitely up there.What I loved about this location was that the shuttle would take us back and forth from Baytown Wharf, there were a couple pools both indoor and outdoor that we had fun in and you are right on the most spectacular ocean. I wouldn't put it anywhere in a "high end" category of hotels though and other than the location it was simply nice. I think it is a little overpriced. I have no problem paying $250 and up from a room, but I have higher expectations that what this Hilton provided.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank AmyLoverOfSun
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

I've stayed at the Hilton San Destin before, but this is my first review of the property.

My wife and I stayed to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We arrived Sunday morning and I had prearranged to have spa services in the afternoon, just in case our room wasn't ready.

We arrived around noon - and our room was not ready, so we proceeded down to the Spa to have our treatments done.

The hotel itself is showing its age, although considering it's on the ocean and has been there since the 80's, all things considered it's doing well for an older property. You can definitely see areas where improvements can be made, but at what point are you throwing money away, only to see your improvements vanish after a while.

My wife and I were greeted by different people at the Spa. The desk was very accomodative and held our luggage for us while we had our treatments completed. I was greeted by SETH who did a GREAT JOB welcoming me, and illustrating all the benefits of the spa facilities and to let me know, if there was anything I needed, to let him know, even to the point of not having to get up to ask for it.

The men's spa had a nice whirlpool, great sauna and steam room. The showers and lounge area was relaxing with a t.v. to watch whatever you may have an interest in. If the weather is bad, it's a great place to hang. The workout room appeared to have good equipment, so I could see why so many people like the facility.

The treatment rooms were off the men's spa so it makes it easy to leave the lounge, have your treatment, and come back for a chance to unwind some more. Very nice.

The fees for the treatment were within range of what you might expect from a resort spa along with a automatic fee that is attached to your bill for the services of the spa and the treatment. Don't really like that....but OK.....I would have given more money to Seth for his services, but there wasn't anyplace on the bill to add this.

We received a call about 1pm that our room was ready. Originally I had booked an "executive King Beach view" but evidently they've changed how they treat their room categories now, so while I was expecting a continental breakfast on an upper floor, they put me in the Spa tower and it was basic King Size Ocean view.

KEEP IN MIND.....IF YOU WANT THE BEST OCEAN VIEW - ASK FOR A ROOM FACING WEST!!! The sunsets in San Destin are the things people sit out on their patio's for. As an Honors member, I would have hoped the front desk would have automatically assumed this, but this is not the case. GO WEST young man - GO WEST.

Our room was fine - the bed was ok. They have a large refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker, which is helpful to the families. The suites with the bunk beds are really nice for parents wanting to have a bit of their own time together.

The Barefoot lounge served OK food. I had the fish sandwich (more bun than fish) and my wife had fish tacos - The drink wasn't that great either. They have a starbucks located on the main level, but the price for a "grande" coffee is $3.75 - Really???? That should change.

The hotel is a conference hotel as well, but most of the rooms are at the other end of the resort so they don't interfere with the family activities.

I know there's a lot of talk about the beach cost for chairs and umbrella, but you have to remember it is a resort. I'm sure this place is busy in the summer time and service is better, but we stayed by the pool and the outdoor jucuzzi and never saw a server, and there were at least 10 - 20 people around the pool - maybe Hilton could think about taking care of people over at the pool area as well - I"m sure they could pay for a server with the number of people there.

Would I make this a "destination" vacation - I think it depends. I know I wouldn't be in Panama City - the refineries really stink the place up and Destin does have some of the best beaches (other than Clearwater) you can stay at.

They do have shopping at the outlet malls - but they really aren't a bargain. They mark down about 20% on most shops - so it's really like going to your neighborhood mall during sale season.

Would I make this a place I would want to visit if I didn't have a conference there? Don't think so.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank defore4735
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

My husband and i just got back from a five night stay at this resort. We were going to celebrate our anniversary so we never thought about it being "off-season". There are probably pluses and minuses to staying here during October. It was not horribly crowded but the service overall was lacking. There were too few staff to really feel pampered. At our check-in, we were greeted by LaShounda who was a true delight. She had a great, funky sense of humor and made us instantly feel welcome. She upgraded our room (we later learned that everyone was being "upgraded") but she made us feel special. The room was nice but really geared for families with bunk beds in the front of the room. Nice balcony with pretty beach view. There was a table in the room for us to eat but only one chair in the room. There should be at least two in my opinion. Room service meal was very good, quick to be delivered but pricey. Our main complaint about the room was the housekeeping (total lack of it). Dirty dishes sat on the floor outside our room for 48 hours before being picked up and removed. After the first day at the beach, we inadvertently brought sand back in our suits. The piles stayed on the carpet the entire stay - proof that there was no vacuuming done. We had to call to get room trashed dumped, new glasses and tissues. The only thing that daily room housekeeping got you was a made bed, new shampoo and folded towels. The guy at the activity desk was awful! He was supposed to make dinner reservations at Seagar's for us but never did. Thankfully, I called to get them myself. He had no idea of what to do and what was open. We got so much misinformation from him. The beach was gorgeous and well maintained. The pools were clean but way too cold to use (except for the indoor one). Hot tubs were extremely small. They actually ran out of towels twice during our stay. Barefoot grill had a great view but food was exceptionally expensive and seldom available (stopped serving at 4 p.m.!). Drinks were watery and way too costly. The breakfast buffet was very nice and that food was good. The service was good too. The food and service at Seagar's was exceptional - the bright spot in the stay. You must try the Bananas Foster prepared tableside. The steaks were some of the best we have every had. A great place for a celebration. We were disappointed by the Serenity Spa. The prices were way too high and the service just average. The massages we got were done by people who acted just like they were right out of school - not pricey professionals. Movement in the evenings was hampered by weddings and parties. If you were not part of those, you were banished to your room or the inside of the hotel. I wish I could give a 3.5 rating because that is what the stay was. Gorgeous views and property with hit or miss services.

Room Tip: Seagar's is worth the price! Try this restaurant!