Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 39 Hotels in Destin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 25, 2012

It was a great weekend to go chill out and not think about a thing other than waves and sand. Both of us visited the spa and it was well done. This property has aged a bit, but it's still run by some top notch folks and I think we are due to go back again in a couple of months. I like going in non-peak times because it's a little more peaceful. Along with fewer guests, there are sometimes fewer staff but no major issues.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa

Reviewed October 20, 2012

We booked a stay here for a nice little family getaway. The room was a good size with a separate area for bunk beds when you first enter and then it opened into the main suite. The spa was very tranquil and we received a good massage. No where near the best I have had which is a shame because the prices were definitely up there.What I loved about this location was that the shuttle would take us back and forth from Baytown Wharf, there were a couple pools both indoor and outdoor that we had fun in and you are right on the most spectacular ocean. I wouldn't put it anywhere in a "high end" category of hotels though and other than the location it was simply nice. I think it is a little overpriced. I have no problem paying $250 and up from a room, but I have higher expectations that what this Hilton provided.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank AmyLoverOfSun
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I've stayed at the Hilton San Destin before, but this is my first review of the property.

My wife and I stayed to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We arrived Sunday morning and I had prearranged to have spa services in the afternoon, just in case our room wasn't ready.

We arrived around noon - and our room was not ready, so we proceeded down to the Spa to have our treatments done.

The hotel itself is showing its age, although considering it's on the ocean and has been there since the 80's, all things considered it's doing well for an older property. You can definitely see areas where improvements can be made, but at what point are you throwing money away, only to see your improvements vanish after a while.

My wife and I were greeted by different people at the Spa. The desk was very accomodative and held our luggage for us while we had our treatments completed. I was greeted by SETH who did a GREAT JOB welcoming me, and illustrating all the benefits of the spa facilities and to let me know, if there was anything I needed, to let him know, even to the point of not having to get up to ask for it.

The men's spa had a nice whirlpool, great sauna and steam room. The showers and lounge area was relaxing with a t.v. to watch whatever you may have an interest in. If the weather is bad, it's a great place to hang. The workout room appeared to have good equipment, so I could see why so many people like the facility.

The treatment rooms were off the men's spa so it makes it easy to leave the lounge, have your treatment, and come back for a chance to unwind some more. Very nice.

The fees for the treatment were within range of what you might expect from a resort spa along with a automatic fee that is attached to your bill for the services of the spa and the treatment. Don't really like that....but OK.....I would have given more money to Seth for his services, but there wasn't anyplace on the bill to add this.

We received a call about 1pm that our room was ready. Originally I had booked an "executive King Beach view" but evidently they've changed how they treat their room categories now, so while I was expecting a continental breakfast on an upper floor, they put me in the Spa tower and it was basic King Size Ocean view.

KEEP IN MIND.....IF YOU WANT THE BEST OCEAN VIEW - ASK FOR A ROOM FACING WEST!!! The sunsets in San Destin are the things people sit out on their patio's for. As an Honors member, I would have hoped the front desk would have automatically assumed this, but this is not the case. GO WEST young man - GO WEST.

Our room was fine - the bed was ok. They have a large refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker, which is helpful to the families. The suites with the bunk beds are really nice for parents wanting to have a bit of their own time together.

The Barefoot lounge served OK food. I had the fish sandwich (more bun than fish) and my wife had fish tacos - The drink wasn't that great either. They have a starbucks located on the main level, but the price for a "grande" coffee is $3.75 - Really???? That should change.

The hotel is a conference hotel as well, but most of the rooms are at the other end of the resort so they don't interfere with the family activities.

I know there's a lot of talk about the beach cost for chairs and umbrella, but you have to remember it is a resort. I'm sure this place is busy in the summer time and service is better, but we stayed by the pool and the outdoor jucuzzi and never saw a server, and there were at least 10 - 20 people around the pool - maybe Hilton could think about taking care of people over at the pool area as well - I"m sure they could pay for a server with the number of people there.

Would I make this a "destination" vacation - I think it depends. I know I wouldn't be in Panama City - the refineries really stink the place up and Destin does have some of the best beaches (other than Clearwater) you can stay at.

They do have shopping at the outlet malls - but they really aren't a bargain. They mark down about 20% on most shops - so it's really like going to your neighborhood mall during sale season.

Would I make this a place I would want to visit if I didn't have a conference there? Don't think so.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank defore4735
Reviewed October 16, 2012

My husband and i just got back from a five night stay at this resort. We were going to celebrate our anniversary so we never thought about it being "off-season". There are probably pluses and minuses to staying here during October. It was not horribly crowded but the service overall was lacking. There were too few staff to really feel pampered. At our check-in, we were greeted by LaShounda who was a true delight. She had a great, funky sense of humor and made us instantly feel welcome. She upgraded our room (we later learned that everyone was being "upgraded") but she made us feel special. The room was nice but really geared for families with bunk beds in the front of the room. Nice balcony with pretty beach view. There was a table in the room for us to eat but only one chair in the room. There should be at least two in my opinion. Room service meal was very good, quick to be delivered but pricey. Our main complaint about the room was the housekeeping (total lack of it). Dirty dishes sat on the floor outside our room for 48 hours before being picked up and removed. After the first day at the beach, we inadvertently brought sand back in our suits. The piles stayed on the carpet the entire stay - proof that there was no vacuuming done. We had to call to get room trashed dumped, new glasses and tissues. The only thing that daily room housekeeping got you was a made bed, new shampoo and folded towels. The guy at the activity desk was awful! He was supposed to make dinner reservations at Seagar's for us but never did. Thankfully, I called to get them myself. He had no idea of what to do and what was open. We got so much misinformation from him. The beach was gorgeous and well maintained. The pools were clean but way too cold to use (except for the indoor one). Hot tubs were extremely small. They actually ran out of towels twice during our stay. Barefoot grill had a great view but food was exceptionally expensive and seldom available (stopped serving at 4 p.m.!). Drinks were watery and way too costly. The breakfast buffet was very nice and that food was good. The service was good too. The food and service at Seagar's was exceptional - the bright spot in the stay. You must try the Bananas Foster prepared tableside. The steaks were some of the best we have every had. A great place for a celebration. We were disappointed by the Serenity Spa. The prices were way too high and the service just average. The massages we got were done by people who acted just like they were right out of school - not pricey professionals. Movement in the evenings was hampered by weddings and parties. If you were not part of those, you were banished to your room or the inside of the hotel. I wish I could give a 3.5 rating because that is what the stay was. Gorgeous views and property with hit or miss services.

Room Tip: Seagar's is worth the price! Try this restaurant!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank joslynlee
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

I have mixed feelings regarding my recent stay. The staff was pleasant enough; however, this hotel could use a major update. The furnishings and decor are outdated. The walls are thin and if you are a light sleeper, like me, you will hear noise from guests in the rooms next to you and in the hall. The hair dryer was barely hanging onto the wall. But....the ultimate insult was a cockroach running down our room wall. We got this room at a very good group discounted rate; otherwise, I would have given an even lower rating. Again, the staff was pleasant and friendly, but all things considered, I was disappointed in this Hilton.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Beth H
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We just returned from a four night stay at the Hilton Sandestin. First the good news: you can't find a better location. The beach is about waist deep for about 100 yards off shore with crystal clear water. It's perfect for kids! The beach is extremely clean! There are two beach volleyball courts so bring your ball!

Now the not so good: first of all, if you desire any amount of staff attention at all, this is NOT the place for you. To be specific, if you aren't getting married, no one who works there will even notice you...ever. While we were there, we saw no less than 10 weddings in 4 days. Each time there was a wedding, they shut down a major part of the pool / sunset deck for the reception. There were frequently multiple competing wedding receptions at once!!! Those of us peons who just came for a lowly, normal family vacation didn't matter. We were kicked out of the pool deck / veranda / etc. Very disappointing.

On that note, if you are looking for a "Special" beach wedding, this isn't it. They were so "canned". Sorry if you got married there this week and I'm offending you, but they cranked them out like a wedding factory.

Next, if you want a chair and umbrella on the beach, it will cost you $42. No, that's not a typo. That is the cost to rent an umbrella and two chairs for ONE day. And that umbrella is set up about 4 inches (between each extended umbrella) from those on either side of yours. I suggest that if you are driving, buy and pack your own. They leave some room up a little higher on the beach for people who bring their own. The cost is absolutely absurd!

As for the facilities, they were fine. The rooms are just fine. Nothing special. You won't feel like you were cheated in any way, but leaking showers, warm minifridges, etc. were a little frustrating. But we just let it go, we didn't even complain. The resort was so crowded, we knew trying to correct the situation would be such an ordeal it wasn't worth it.

My biggest complaint is this: the outdoor pools were so cold, you couldn't swim in them! The only people we ever saw in the pools were kids with blue lips. Our kids wanted a break from the beach occasionally, but they couldn't handle how cold the outdoor pools were. They apparently don't heat them so they are unusable from October to probably April (to be fair, I'm just guessing here). So if you are planning a fall / winter / spring trip, I doubt you will be able to use the pool. It was in the low 80's and gorgeous this week and many people we talked to wanted to use both the pool and beach and were extremely frustrated. If you are traveling with kids, you know how on-guard you have to be on the beach. We would have liked to move up to the pool on occasion to get a little break from the beach. But my kids couldn't handle how cold the pool was.

Overall, it was fine and functional. I felt like an invisible number because we were on a family vacation and not getting married. Those seemed to be the only people that anyone on the resort paid attention to. We are booking our trip for spring break soon. I'm not sure we will choose this same resort. If we are going to be on our own like that, we may as well go with VRBO that is bigger with a kitchen so you can eat in occasionally and not have to spend $15 for really bad nachos.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank BetsyC-N
HSBGeneralManager, General Manager at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Dear BetsyC-N,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your previous stay with us at the Hilton Sandestin Beach. I would like to take the opportunity to address your compliments and grievances.

Though I’m pleased you enjoyed our beautiful beaches that we are known for here on the Emerald Coast. I apologize you felt “lost in the crowd” during your stay. I would be appreciative of hearing what your service expectations you may require and how we fell short.

October weekends are a very popular wedding month on the Emerald Coast and we are pleased that we meet the high expectations of our wedding guests. We take special care to insure each wedding has the space and time required for a life to experience.

The beach chair and umbrellas are priced competitively for the local area. If you are price conscientious we do offer any area on our private beach to set up their own beach chairs.

I do apologize you experienced some engineering issues with your Junior Suite Guest Room. However, I do wish you would have given us the opportunity to correct our shortcomings instead of assuming they would not be corrected.

Finally, we heat our indoor and outdoor pools to a standard of 85 degrees beginning in October as the evening tend to be cooler. However, on the occasions a guest request a higher temperature we gladly accommodate their request.

GARY BRIELMAYER I General Manager

HILTON SANDESTIN BEACH GOLF RESORT & SPA

Reviewed October 14, 2012

My wife and I decided to take a Weekend trip to the gulf to enjoy some seafood and sun. We usually stay in a condo, but decided to give the Hilton a try on this trip. What a great choice. We arrived mid-day and were greated by Trisha at the check-in desk. She not only gave us an early check-in but also a room upgrade with a wonderful view of the beach. The room was well-appointed and clean. The entire staff was friendly and willing to help when asked. The services offered were too many to list - two pools, hot tub, baby pool, outdoor bar and restaurant, beach services, plenty of apace for guests to lounge near the pool or at the beach, etc... We were very happy with our stay there.

Room Tip: Make sure to understand the view from your room when reserving. The two building complex has a lot...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
HSBGeneralManager, General Manager at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Dear BruceR_2832,

The entire staff and I are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us here at the Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa. You picked one of the best times of year to visit our beautiful beaches and charming Gulf Coast communities we call home. I will be sure to share your positive comments with our staff which will only reinforce our commitment to providing the great southern hospitality we have been known for over the past 26 years.

Once again, thank you and we hope to see you and your family return in the near future.

GARY BRIELMAYER I General Manager