“Warning HHonors Members treated as second class”

Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Destin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 15, 2012

The check-in process was extremely slow for HHonors members. They gave us a handicap room with 2 "double beds" we had requested a King size bed. Dinner was not a very good experiience. The restaurant was under staffed and they totally forgot to bring us our salads. The manager offered a free glass of wine or she could still bring out the salads after dinner and said 'we should save it for next days lunch" We ofcourse refused. Overall not a very good value considering the high cost for food, drinks and lodging. Lastly, the whole place needs a makeover. We will not return!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank tophatafc
Write a ReviewReviews (2,708)

Reviewed June 15, 2012

Made our reservations early and anticipated a great beach experience. We were disappointed from check-in to check-out. What a shame, the place has such incredible potential. Little things like friendly smiles,competent information, providing ice water or tea for those forced to stand in the lobby for delayed check-in. Speaking of standing, bringing in some additional seating would have been nice. The service staff suggested my grandkids go to the beach while we waited for the room and, when they finished swimming, the outside staff would not give them towels because they didn't have a room (!!!?) Friends and family stayed at other hotels within the resort and said they received excellent service. My husband and I have always agreed that it is not the facility that makes the stay special, it is the customer service. Shame on you Hilton Sandestin Beach and Golf resort, you fell way short of the name you carry.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank RuthR53
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

Dear RuthR53,

I am disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations while staying with us here at the Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa. The examples you provided do not reflect the high standards that we have strived to achieve over the past 26 years of service in the hospitality industry.

If you would like to discuss this matter further please feel free to contact me.

Reviewed June 11, 2012 via mobile

The Hilton in sandestin exhibited many great and not so great perks. They exhibited their cleanness, service, and dining. The rooms were very clean ( stayed in a junior suite ). The downside is that the balcony was filthy. The front desk and bellman were helpful and very friendly. The dining was also okay. The only reason for a negative perk, was that the food was extremely too expensive. Although this was a resort with resort fees, the meals from all restaurants were overly expensive. On the flip side, the food was exceptional in taste. My only concern for the sandestin itself, is the amount of time spent waiting for the tram. The wait for me was almost 30 minutes. The tram was not reliable.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank jhartley314
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Hotel very good location,but rooms feel dirty, housekeeping look scary, housekeeping also very slow and lousy cleaning job, bring your own beach chair from wal mart cause they want to charge you $40. A day. Who thought of that!!! Plus they keep tabs on you when u get pool towel ,so you better return it!! After I drop 4k for 4 days, they are worrying about a $1 beach towel made in china. Food was good just the place needs a makeover. Bad , felt like 80's hotel. They also charge $10.70 for self park. Dang what's. Next water charge, beach access charge, electric charge !! Call months in advance for spa massage. It was hard trying to get the time u want! Please somebody else build a 5 star hotel in destin.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Flyboy47
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We stay here each year and usually have no problems but this time I am totally I'll at their staff. My wife and I were at the outside pool until they closed and this male worker came to us and asked rudely if we were staying there and made us show him our card and then told us in the most gosh awful voice that the pool was closed. Like we were idiots or something. Totally pissed for lack of a better word especially for the money we spend there!

• Stayed: June 2012
4  Thank Cnsfan
HSBGeneralManager, General Manager at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2012

Dear “III”,

The Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa does have security that patrols the property 24 /7. Our security guards are trained to ask for the Hilton card you mentioned to insure the property is for the sole use of our patrons and for their safety. However, when asking they should do so in a courteous and professional manner. I sincerely apologies they did not do so in your case.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

My sister and I take a trip each year and leave the boys at home (trust me - they like it!)

We chose the Hilton Sandestin after looking at Hilton properties in the Dominican Republic, Costa Rica and the Bahamas. None of which had exactly what we were looking for - nice hotel, awesome beach and safety!

The Hilton Sandestin was perfect! Our room was on the 12th floor with both pool and ocean view. We were near the elevators (which we never heard) that took us directly to the pool/ocean area.

We self parked ($10/day and very near the hotl entrance). Hotel staff was very friendly and met all our expectations.

What we were really looking for was sun and relaxation which we definitely received. The beach is gorgeous with blue water and white powdery sand! 2 beach chairs and an umbrella is a bit pricey at $42/day but hey, it's vacation! They also have a food/drink server on the beach but I would suggest you stock up at the liquor store and bring your own ice chest to the beach!

If you drive into Seaside/Watercolor (def worth the 15 min trip) you have to have lunch at the Great southern Comfort). Fresh fish, salads and amazing cheese grits (at least that's what my sister said :).

Regarding restaurants in Destin, we were pretty disappointed but I think that was our bad because we didn't do our homework beforehand. I would give a shout out to Stinky's in Destin. Pretty good food but a long wait and valet is a must even though you're sort of I the middle of nowhere. If you don't valet, they won't let you on the wait list (they take your ticket when they give you your pager!). Don't waste your time at KEnny D's (kinda creepy in a way too redneck kind of way!). Heard the Crab Trap was god but get there early - we didn't want to wait the 90 minutes so can't comment.

We did plan to go offshore fishing and went to the nearby marina to inquire about the various boats, times , etc. when we got there the Captains were already gone so we tried to get some information from the mates who were still cleaning fish, rinsing the boats , etc. they were not interested in talking to us - at all! It was unfortunate because that was going to be our big blow-out -plus we're pretty good tippers!

Instead we went to the factory stores. Ladies, they have a Michael Kors store which is awesome.

We're planning for next year and although we like to vacation in new areas we loved the Hilton Sandestin so much that I think there's a really good possibility we'll be back in 2013!!

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Julie B
Reviewed May 31, 2012

It has taken me several months before I have simmered down enough to write a review. We went the last week in March. We were very excited to go for a relaxing time at the beach. My husband wanted to rent a condo, but i said i wanted to be spoiled by someone making the beds on a daily basis. What a joke. Housekeeping typically did not come until late in the day, usually around the time we would come back from the beach/pool. One day, we waited outside our room for over 2 hours, because the cart was by our door. The best part was i had to walk up the 13 flights of stairs, several times to check because the elevators were out. Complained at the front desk only to be given a lame excuse. Finally the head lady came up to make sure it was completed. Sadly, the beds were not made and garbage not disposed. She said unacceptable, but she indicated the beds were not made becasue my son's blanket was on the bed. I was told to remove the blanket. So i did, to my horror, my son's blanket was taken by housekeeping the following day. The manager was too busy hitting on the young women in bathing suits to be troubled. It was not until I called the corporate office that anything was acomplished. Then, the blanket was found and mailed back to us, in a black garbage bag. Needless to say, I have not dropped the issue and have continued to advocate about the terrible experience. The worst part was the dismissiveness from the manager. He obviously did not feel the need to live up to the Hilton name. After reading several reviews from the time period i was there, I am hopeful that the hilton will look into the complaints, becasue truthfully it is a gorgeous property with a great location on the beach. But managment at so many levels of the establishment ruined our vacation.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Melissa4488
HSBGeneralManager, General Manager at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2012

Dear Melissa,

We appreciate you finally taking the opportunity to write your review regarding your poor experience, back in March at the Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa. your review is the first I have heard of your grievance but I would like to discuss the matter further with you. please feel free to contact me to discuss further.

850-267-9500