“Awesome Experience”
Review of Sweet Jody Fishing

Sweet Jody Fishing
More attraction details
Owner description: Family Owned & Operated Deep Sea Fishing fun for the family with Capt Cliff Cox, the most experienced headboat Capt in Destin. DEEP SEA FISHING in Destin Florida, the World's Luckiest Fishing Village! Sweet Jody is 56 feet and can carry up to 40 people fishing. About Captain Cliff Cox: Cliff Cox, Sr. was born and raised in Destin. As a young boy, he was fascinated with fishing and the work down on the docks. At age 8, he began helping local mates with boat and fish cleaning. By age 12, he was working on various fishing boats and apprenticed under some of Destin’s greatest fishing legends. At age 20, he obtained his Captain's license. Capt Cliff ran several boats in Destin and in Louisiana before buying the Sweet Jody business in the 1980’s. He has been the Captain of the Sweet Jody for 32 years, and has a loyal following of avid fisherman. His excellence in this field has won him the title of Captain of the Year for many years. “My favorite part of being a Captain of Sweet Jody is seeing the smiles of my customers, especially when they catch their first fish or a BIG fish!” –Capt Cliff
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Mossy Head
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Awesome Experience”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I made the mistake of reading the bad reviews before going on this trip and was very apprehensive. I shouldn't have been. This trip was awesome. First time I had ever been deep sea fishing. The crew work their butts off. I read the complaints about them wanting tips, well, when you see what they do on the boat, you will realize they deserve tips. They stock up the bait buckets, run through a "how to" list and safety list. As soon as you have a "fish on" they get to you to take the fish off for you, then your fish are stringed with a number and at the end of the trip they give you the option of taking your fish home or they'll skin them right there for you. YES, they deserve tips!! There were plenty of opportunities to catch fish, I think everyone fishing caught at least a couple of fish, most had a huge string full. I read complaints of rudeness and belittling. I didn't see any of this, safety is extremely important on these trips, so you have to listen to the crew and if you need help, ask them. So glad I didn't cancel because of the few bad reviews. Had a really great time and the amount of fish we caught would have cost us a lot more than the cost of the trip if bought in a store or triple in a restaurant. Try it, you will love it!!! Thank You Sweet Jody Fishing.

5 Thank AJinFL

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Good But Not Geared Toward Fishing Its A Volume Of Customer Buisnesss a”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Me and 4 others went on this trip when we booked it 2 months prior it was to be a 8 hr trip we arrived and suprise its 5 hrs now. Now that would have been great if someone would have called and told us so we could have made other arrangments we did catch fish 7 keepers in all. The crew was great there poles were in good working order and they gave us plenty of bait. I know they tried to put us on the fish cause we traveled further than other boats i know they dont want tojust waste fuel so that was a good sign on a 5 hr trip be advised you might have your line in the water for about 1 hr which does suck they do the 5 hr trips so they can run twice and make more money /push more people through the door i probally will not go on the sweet jody again unless it was 8 hr trip.

3 Thank traveler32fromalabama
U.S.
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Great day of fishing even though choppy waters!”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We had originally booked with Swoop and they got us out to sea then their boat bit the dust and black smoke came out of the engine! They said they could get us rebooked and they could not. We ended up calling Sweet Jody and glad we did. They got our party of 8 in two days later. I felt like compared to Swoops boat it is much new and nicer. Obviously the engine is new too! We had choppy waters and heading out it was kind of rough but once we started fishing it wasn't to bad. We caught more fish this year I think than last. I ended up taking my Nephew up to talk to the Captain (and the owner) of the boat, his name was Cliff. Very nice guy. Owned the company since 89 I believe. I would recommend this boat now over the Swoop after doing both. On the way home from the fishing trip my kids were talking about how the boat was nicer but they did miss one thing that the other boat did. With Swoop when we pulled into the harbor in the evening the crew had all the kids that wanted to hold up some of the biggest catches on the boat. They had the entire boat cheer then everyone in the marina at all the places to eat started cheering. It was fun and the kids felt like celebrities. Thats the only thing they thought was neat about Swoop that Sweet Jody didn't do.

1 Thank playachick
Lookout Mountain, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fantastic Trip!”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I went to Destin Oct 2012 and went out 2 days on Sweet Jody! The crew and other patrons were fantastic and made my trip one of the best I had ever had! We caught alot of fish and had an awesome time! It was suppose to be me and my daughter and she wasn't able to go so I ended up alone, they all made me feel welcome and went above and beyond to see that I had a great time! I will always go out on Sweet Jody from now on! Looking forward to this October!!
Thanks Sweet Jody!!!

26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Caughts lots of fish!”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I have been fishing on party boats for a number of years in different parts of Florida. So, when my family decided to vacation in Destin, I immediately began looking for some good charter fishing for the three of us (dad, brother, self). After doing a Google search, I came to TripAdvisor to see what people were saying about the various charters. This charter was not one that had come-up in the Google search, which I thought was interesting. The more I reflected, though, the more I thought we'd have better luck with an outfit that was not one that everyone was finding. I was right! We walked past long lines at the pier on our way to Sweety Jody! We fished on a Wednesday and our boat was about 2/3 full.

The Sweety Jody is a smaller, slower boat. It took us a good 1.5 hours to get out to the fishing area, but that was to be expected (6 hour trip = 1.5 hours out, 1.5 hours back, 3 hours fishing). When we did get out to the fishing areas, the captain signaled and we dropped out lines in the water. At our first stop, fishing was slow, although my brother did land a trigger fish. We quickly moved to our next stop and it did not take long until we started reeling in fish. Mainly Vermillion snapper, "white" snapper and the likes. Several other fisherman pulled in a couple of grouper, although these were not common. When fishing was slow, the captain would have us pull up our lines and we would move -- we did not stay in any one place more than about a 1/2 hour. The captain was very good at keeping us over the fish and keeping the boat in place (to avoid tangled lines which often plague these types of outfits). At the end of our fishing, we had caught 24 fish with 23 keepers! This was by far the best fishing success we'd ever had.

The mates were quick to come around and remove our fish. They have a great system whereby you get a laundry basket and drop your fish into the baskets at each stop. When the boat moves, you take your basket back to the ice chests and they string them up. This saved lots of time since we were literally pulling in fish quickly (we caught nine at one stop alone). On a 6 hour trip, be sure and budget at least $10 per person for tips for the mates. Our fish were promptly cleaned (filleted) when we got back to the dock, which was "included" in the tip (they mentioned that other outfits charge by the pound, which I cannot verify).

I have but a couple of critiques. There were no paid guests fishing off of the back of the boat. It appeared that several other mates (who may have worked on the boat on other days?) were fishing off the back (which is generally considered one of the better parts of the boat to fish from). Granted, they were using different bait and polls so they were not catching things that we were, but still, that was a little tacky. My other critique was the smoking. Numerous guests and the mates were smoking for the better part of the trip, and the second-hand smoke was bothersome. I don't ever remember a mate on any of the other trips we've been on not smoking, so perhaps this is just a part of "fishing culture" that I need to get over. On the other hand, there was a top deck on this boat which very easily could have been a designated smoking area. Nothing that ruined our trip.

You will want to bring a cooler with food and drinks as they do not offer anything for purchase on board.

Overall, I would go back to this charter in a heartbeat! I've included a picture of our catch.

Visited May 2013