“Pretty nice place”

Ranked #6 of 39 Hotels in Destin
Louisville, Kentucky
“Pretty nice place”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We had just stayed here the past week and had a pretty good experience. The front desk staff was very nice and helpful. The free breakfast had varieties to choose. The coffee (Douwe Egbert) served at breakfast was very good. Our room was not luxurious but not bad either. I picked this one due to the proximity to the beach (clear without seaweeds) which is across the street...about a 4-5 min. walk. The location is very close to lots of shops including a Winn-Dixie (2 min drive) and a very nice Publix (5 min drive) away. The only complaint is the older bar tender who does not seem very happy with his job and maybe he did not like the "Life is Good t-shirts" I was wearing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel more than once and keep returning. A short walk to the beach through a private entrance. The suites are a very nice size. Love the location and the staff are friendly! Complimentary breakfast is great. Great choice!!!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Jenbgrl02
Warrior, Alabama
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Hotel gave another guest keys to our room because they had checked us into one room and given us keys to another. They didn’t seem to understand why that was a big deal. If I hadn’t been in the room they would have had full access to all our belongings. There was one server for the dining room and room service. The one night we ate there it took 15 minutes to get menus and we had to ask for our drinks again once the food arrived. My husband’s steak was undercooked and my food was cold. We never got drink refills or were asked if we needed anything else. The check was dropped off without a word. The bed in room 340 is horrible. Any time you move every spring in the mattress creaks. I had to use my own baby wipes to wipe down tables in the dining area every time we went there. Breakfast is greasy. Even if you get an omelet it is cooked in lots of oil. Be prepared to get creative when it comes to hanging wet clothes and towels in the room. There are no outside balconies at this hotel and they don’t provide a towel rack to hang stuff on. I had to drape things over chairs and door handles all over the room. It is a pretty long walk to the beach so bring a beach cart to carry all your stuff with you.

Room Tip: Don’t pay the extra money for the celebration suite. The only difference is you get a chair in the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Samantha S
Jefferson City, Missouri
Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

I love this place! One step to the beach was broken...no big deal! The staff was great especially the 2 different bar tenders, the breakfast cook and the head maintenance guy. Thank you for our second year in a row stay! I would love to bring my family back.

• Stayed August 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We just returned from a two night stay at this hotel, and I would say that overall it was just fine, but not more than that.

It's important to note that all of the properties in Destin seem to have this attitude of "we have the ocean, so we can take advantage of people," and this Embassy Suites, unfortunately, seems to be in that same group.

The location is really great if you're visiting Destin for the beach. It is literally across the beach, perhaps 1/4 mile from the front door of the hotel until you're in the water. It is not specifically a private beach, but access is through a coded gate and the vast majority of people on the beach were Embassy Suites guests. A seperate company handles the beach chairs and umbrellas, which can be charged to your room. August seems to be a good time to visit Destin, since lots of schools are back in the session, and the hellish traffic that characterizes Destin is much better. Even in summer, though, the proximity of this hotel to the beach is really stellar for the Destin area. It's important for travelers with children to consider, though, that this hotel is definitely not in Destin, so if you're looking for lots of restaurants and activities for the kids, you're sort of lacking. If you're looking for the beach, though, this is great.

LOUD is the operative word in this hotel. The structure is the same as most Embassy Suites properties, so acoustics can be an issue. Since the Destin area is swarming with children, the atrium of the hotel always sounds like a school playground. The swimming pool at the hotel (which is miniscule and in the middle of the parking lot, basically) is also crawling with screaming kids.

The rooms are just fine, perhaps dated, but clean and very serviceable. From a housekeeping point, it's clear that they have calcium issues with the water. There is a definite film on the bathroom tiles, in the coffee maker, etc. Not the end of the world in the bathroom, but I couldn't bring myself to use the coffee maker. Fortunately Starbucks is two block away.

The breakfast was standard Embassy fare, just fine, particularly since it's free. The real issue with the restaurant is that it is in the atrium, with all of those accoustic issues. There was no noise in our bedroom, but in the sitting room area of our suite, the noise is very loud, starting at about 5:30 AM. (We were on the fourth floor with the curtains closed, and still had to keep turning the television higher whenever we were watching it to drown out the restaurant noise.)

During our stay, the staff was accommodating and very pleasant, but (as other reviewers have mentioned) they offer absolutely nothing unless you specifically ask. Any requests for what I would consider very regular requests and questions were met with hesitation and a standard, "well, we can try but can't really promise that."

We left the hotel planning to make another reservation later this week for a stay in November, but now I'm having questions based upon looking at my bank statement. When I initially made the reservation I used a debit card to hold the reservation, and asked very specifically if the card would be authorized in advance. I was assured it would not be. When we checked in, we had a conversation with the front desk clerk, who again assured me that the debit card would not be authorized, since we were actually checking in with a different credit card. When we left the hotel, I was again assured the card had not been authorized. When I got home and looked on line, it showed that BOTH the debit card and the credit card had been authorized.

When I called the hotel and spoke to Diana (who answered the phone), I explained the situation. The response was that all cards are pre-authorized prior to guest arrival, which is contrary to what the reservations person told me, and contrary to two other people at the front desk. At the end of the conversation, I was told, "We've already released it, so you'll need to take that up with your bank."

Just acknowledging the frustration of a hotel guest and a simple "I'm sorry for the confusion" would have kept me as a repeat guest. That's probably not going to happen now.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room on the fourth floor, and away from the restaurant! Unfortunately, those a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Timandfrank
Milledgeville, Georgia
Reviewed August 13, 2012

The title pretty much sums up our five-night stay. Everyone from the front desk, to the restaurant staff, to house cleaning was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was huge and typically held us over until dinner. The evening manager's reception was very generous - two hours of alcoholic/non-alcoholic beverages along with snacks. The location was also excellent - a couple minutes walk right across the street brought us to a private beach. On the downside, the property was old and in need of updating. The "private" beach was only to control access from the street. Once on the beach, people wander and settle pretty much wherever they please. The hotel pool was very small and the workout room was even smaller. Lastly, the hotel seems to take a beating from families traveling with children and most likely the Spring Break crowd earlier in the year. Since my wife and I traveled alone, it seemed very noisy especially on the weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for suites on the front (South side) of the building on 3rd or 4th floor for a view of the Gulf!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
New Rochelle, New York
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Well if you are staying at this location your are are comming here for the beach,and you are paying a high price for it. If you stayed at Embassy suites anywhere in the past you come to relise that all are prety much the same and are a bit more expensive then the nearby hotels,all are clean have the full cook to order breakfast and free early evening cocktails,have a nice indoor courtyard etc. Our stay here was in mid-July so i relise this is the most peak time period you can visit Destin but at $245 a night with a AAA Discount this was way over priced even for Embassy Suites. The only complaint i have about this property is they only had one bar tender during the managers reception cocktail hour when the hotel was obviously filled to capacity.
So if you come to Destin in July you are paying for the location not the quality of this hotel so god help you if you get a rainy day.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family