“Wow!!! Chicken Vesuvio”
Review of La Famiglia

La Famiglia
Ranked #105 of 303 Restaurants in Destin
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: HOURS OF OPERATION: MONDAY 11 AM- 10 PM TUESDAY 11 AM- 10 PM WEDNESDAY 11 AM- 10 PM THURSDAY 11 AM- 10 PM FRIDAY 11 AM- 10 PM SATURDAY 11 AM- 10 PM SUNDAY 11 AM- 10 PM
Lauderhill, Florida
“Wow!!! Chicken Vesuvio”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

The Chicken Vesuvio was absolutely fantastic; garlic and rosemary seasoned perfectly; pasta w/olive oil; great salad; unbelievable level of knowledge of wait staff. Get Tony to wait on you, even if you have to wait for him. He's like the chef and consumate waiter, all wrapped into one. We would go back here in a minute.

Nashville, Tennessee
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not good for price.”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Went to newer location. Overpriced for what you get in terms of freshness and quality. Customer service was good. Atmosphere was average.

Salad and Bread - We actually enjoyed the home-made italian dressing. It actually tasted fresh/not bottled. Bread was decent and the garlic olive oil was good.

Lasagna -

-Tasted like it was frozen out of box
-Pasta was overcooked
-Barely any meat
-Drowning in a lake of sauce that tasted like something out of a Ragu bottle.

Frutti Di Mare - I'd have a hard time believing any of this seafood was fresh. If the meal were 10.99 I wouldn't fuss, but at 26.99 this was hardly worth it.

-Mussels tasted frozen
-Fish was dry
-Scallops were rubbery
-Wine/Tomato Sauce tasted like watered down tomato Juice.
-Spaghetti noodles were soggy/overcooked

1 Thank James W
Durango, CO
“Excellent Food & Friendly Service”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

OK, now I know that we went to what some posters say is the 'bad' location of La Famigilia - on Hwy 98 rather than the one on the harbor walk. Yes, the outside of this 70's strip mall location looks plain and trashy, and the interior decor is dated but neat and homey. The service (mature Italian gent) was friendly and entertaining and the food was delicious! Our meal was more expensive than anticipated, two delicious specials - Lobster and Cioppino with two glasses of house wine came to $80. The Cioppino was better than any I've had from Rome to San Francisco. So I'd say get off of the harbor walk and away from the silly tourist traps and have a good meal at the old location.

Atlanta, GA
“Great view and delicious food!”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We especially enjoyed sitting outside for dinner. The weather was a bit cool and windy, so they put up the wind screens. The food was beautifully prepared. One of the better Italian meals that we have had in a while. We would definitely return!

Visited April 2013
Columbia, Missouri
“Beware - two nearby locations - one terrible”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Reviewers or Trip Advisor - PLEASE create a separate entry for the two La Famiglia locations! 300 Harbor Blvd is the original location. Lured by strong TA reviews and an area-native waiter at Ruth's Chris who confirmed La Famiglia really was good, we dropped in for lunch despite misgivings. The place appears to be a dump from the street, we actually missed it once, not realizing there could be a decent restaurant in that building. However, I've eaten some truly great food in some absolutely obnoxious and disgusting settings, so I kept skepticism at bay

No one was dining - were they open for lunch? Uh, sure, the young male server stammered. Guess we surprised him. Most folks don't make it through the creepy back entrance from the gravel parking lot maybe? It was like a time warp to the 1970s, which may be the last time the place had a good cleaning. Okay, strong TA reviews, I kept repeating like a mantra when I saw the 1/4-inch dust on various knick-knacks and fake plants and the truly gross ventilation grate. But when my glass of water had something floating in it and some residue food from a previous diner (who knows how long ago?) on my fork, I would have walked out without those great reviews. Food must be freakin' outstanding, I thought, to overcome these hurdles. The bread was excellent, I agree. The salad dressing was the worst I've have in ages. The food was minimally acceptable at best. How could this be? TA reviewers have never steered me this wrong!

Time to leave, time to pay. Oh, sorry, I can't take a credit card because the manager hadn't gotten there to turn on the machine. Say what?? Okay, cash. Sorry, I can't have change for that $50. We've got 2 $20s, can you handle that? Can't unlock the cash drawer. . the missing manager - uh, 75 minutes after opening? Fine, man, you'll have to make due with the 73-cent tip then, because we're not leaving you a $10.73 tip and don't have anything smaller. After a brief trip out of sight, what do you know, he managed to find change for a $20.

My guess is the great reviews of La Familiglia are based on the Harborwalk Village location near the Emerald Grande. We dropped in there the following day (trying to confirm my hypothesis) as we are seeking a place to hold a private party this fall. That location (2 Harbor Blvd, NOT 300 Harbor Blvd) has wonderful gulf/harbor views, great ambience, a lively clientele and service staff and, to judge only by sight and patrons' smiles, apparently great food.

Would someone please, please, please create two different entries here for the two different locations. Despite being only block apart, they aren't even on the same planet. And La Famiglia owners, I'd suggest closing the original location or changing its name so it doesn't damage the seemingly great service you must be offering at the Harborwalk restaurant.

• Visited March 2013