“Good not Great Stay”

Ranked #15 of 39 Hotels in Destin
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
“Good not Great Stay”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We had a non smoking two queen room. The room was clean, but was a bit smaller than other Country Inns we have been in. It seemed a bit more dated as far as the furnishings went. The service was very good. The breakfast was not good our first morning, but improved somewhat the next morning. The location is convenient. Overall, it was a good stay, but not quite up to the standards of others we have visited elsewhere. The fact that it is in a seasonal resort beach area may have contributed to this.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We stayed here ONE painful night, and had I not used points and prepaid I would of gone somewhere else. We were close to room 326 and whoever stayed in that room that said it was wonderful in an earlier review, they must not be able to smell----AT ALL!!! The mold and mildew stench slaps you upside the head when you walk in. My two year old who is asthmatic (but has not had a problem in months)started having trouble wheezing the next morning and we were doing breathing treatments--so we left as soon as we could --to get her away from that. The room is so old.... Wall paper border around top, green carpet that is so worn, turned my toddlers feet black after 5 minutes, I made her wear shoes all the way up until bed. The furniture, oh the furniture! Grandpas chair, sinking sofa, little table and rickety chairs. We also used the stairs and were greeted by a welcoming cockroach family! Greatness huh? Oh we'll, it makes funny family memories and stories.
We have stayed at MANY other country inn and suites, and none of them have been terrible--ever. Which is why I hate writing this review---but there are so many other nice places around.
I honestly should of known something was up upon check in when the staff was not friendly and I could see how unkept the front office was.
Just go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ELAmommy
CISDESTIN, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Sugar Sands Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room. We will review the condition of your room to ensure it is up to Country Inns and Suites by Carlson standards. We will take what ever actions are necessary to remedy any isses we may discover. Again, We apologize for your stay being unsatisfactory
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We experienced the same horrible musty/mildew smell in our first floor room that previous reviewers have written about. The smell is so pervasive it hits you in the face as soon as you open the door. We hoped that turning our air conditioner on would help, but it did not! We stayed here for one night after staying a week in a beach house right on the beach and have also stayed in beach hotels in Mexico, the Dominican, Aruba and New England. We have never encountered a room this bad. Not only was the smell horrible, the room was shabby. There was a hole in the wall from a chair, the carpet was worn and tattered going into the bathroom, there was no counter space at all in the bathroom (room # 108). We did not feel that the front desk people were at all friendly or accommodating. We paid over $200 for our 12 hour stay at this hotel and based on the fact that a hotel guest would be given a room with these issues, we will never consider a Country Inn & Suites in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelma
CISDESTIN, Manager at BEST WESTERN Sugar Sands Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. I have addressed these issues with our team, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.

georgia
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I hated this hotel, I did read the reviews and most were good, cant imagine why. Guess they are not picky , or something. First off I will say that the "ladies" at the front desk were very nice, Breakfast was good enough, the pool was a good size (unlike some pools that are tiny, this was just right), now for the bad. We arrived and was put in a room on 1st floor, got to it and there was some type of humidifier sitting in the middle of the floor, I went to the front desk and told the lady, she moved us to another room, we went to it , opened the door and it smelled horrible, a very strong musty damp smell, so I went back to the front desk again, she said something about recent flooding?? I have no idea what that is about...because I did see a review that was back in 2012 where someone mentioned a musty smell...anyways, .so she moved us again, this was our 3rd room, we got to that room and put all our stuff in it and got ready real quick for the beach, we left and when we came back we could hear a man talking very loudly, sounded like he was in the room with us, well that room had a door connected to another room (adjoining rooms) so that is why we could hear everything, so I go back to the front desk again and they move us to a room at the end of the hall on the 2nd floor, so we went to it, okay so ALL rooms have a musty smell, the last room did as well, it was not near as strong as the 2nd room but you could still smell it, I am very sensitive to smell , you can smell this same smell when you walk in the front door to the hotel. I think they whole hotel smells like this, I did not go on 3rd floor so I have no idea about it. We stayed in a suite, they are very small, it would be okay for just a few people, we were 4 people and it was just to cramped for us.And like someone else said, it doesnt feel clean , the room feels dirty and yukky , and furniture is old, dirty carpet, dim lighting, etc.. I say the entire hotel needs to be ripped apart and redone entirely.
I dont use a gym but if you do, you might as well say there is no gym here, what they have is only 3 things that are old and worn out and the room is very tiny. The beach is a few blocks away, you have to drive there. There are restaurants close, we ate at a pizza place and TGIF, but there are other places not to far, a publix as well. I read the reviews and based my opinion on those reviews, makes me wonder why there were so many good reviews, its just not true, take my word.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank vicki02
CISDESTIN, Manager at BEST WESTERN Sugar Sands Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future.
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed in this hotel with our two kids five and two years old. The room was clean but could use a little sprucing up. Shower also needs a little more power. The staff was super helpful and friendly. Located minutes from all the best places! Breakfast was super! We will definitely stay here again. Had a sofa bed but it was not comfortable to sleep on.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank AtariusH
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I booked this hotel online at the last minute on our way to Destin. We only stayed for one night, thank goodness. When booking, I put in that a search for 6 people and the two bed room came up. It didn't really have much of a description but I thought since I put in 6 people, it would have a sofa bed. Nope. We were stuck requesting a roll away bed and having our 6 year old sleep with us. The room was also musty smelling and the carpet felt damp. Other than that, the property was clean and staff was courteous.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Jennydc76
Sautee, Georgia, United States
Reviewed June 24, 2013

i work for the country inn and suites in helen ga, and we went to destin for our family vacation. it was so awesome..felt like being at home. the staff was very nice and the hotel was clean.. i loved seeing how the country inn and suites i work for was just a little different from the destin hotel.. we had no issues at all and house keeping was great and loved the breakfast..we will soon be back to destin and we altready have planned to stay with country inn and suites again at the end of the year...

Room Tip: we where in 326 and the location was just awesome. close to many stores and places to eat and awesom...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family