“Holiday Inn in Disguise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Village Inn of Destin

Village Inn of Destin
Ranked #28 of 39 Hotels in Destin
McKinney, Texas
“Holiday Inn in Disguise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I have been coming down here to unwind in December for the past few years and I have always stayed at the Village Inn Destin. I stay in hotels every day of each year for my job, so I am picky to an extent about where I am going to lay my head at night. Not only are they pet friendly, the location cannot be beat. This hotel sits right across the street from the Harbor Walk and the fishing marina. We stayed here before, and it was dated, but still comfortable. Now we are staying in the room that we stayed in last year, and it is completely different. The beds are new, carpet is new, sink is new, the bathroom is redone, pretty much everything in the room is brand new. I was surprised when I walked in a few weeks ago and saw what they had done with the place. In the times of not getting what you pay for, this place is as comfortable as Holiday Inns and Hampton Inns. The rooms are very big too. It's not the Ritz, but they are not wanting that. This is a comfortable hotel, safe, with a staff that really cares about the changes they are making.

Room Tip: The king room is huge with a nice new sofa
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Admin VIllage I... ., Manager at Village Inn of Destin, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Thank you for your positive review and kind words. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your praise of our staff and our newly renovated rooms. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Ft Riley, KS
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

At check in the guy was a completely rude. We walked into our room and there were screws sticking out of the walls and ceiling. I went to use the bathroom and the whole toilet almost fell over! The walls are paper thin. I was awoken by a motorcycle group revving their engines up at 1am in the morning. Right after that our neighbors started pouring in, we could hear exactly what was going on in the rooms next to us and under us. Let me just say NOT family friendly activities. As soon as they started to quite down we thought finally we might get some sleep but no the garbage man tromped around for what seemed like forever around 4am. Not to mention the bugs in our beds. Overall, if you don't plan on actually sleeping here or being clean be my guest. I will never stay again.

Room Tip: "Don't stay here"
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jean W
Lakewood, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We arrived a day early in Florida after driving with 4 kids from IL we were tired and were looking forward to crashing, When we arrived they said they didn't have a reservation for us, luckily we had our confirmation via our iPad and calling booking.com agent they were trying to scam us in to paying twice, then miraculously he found our resrvation 30 min later we were in our room, which we had to have them unlock for us. Upon opening the door I immediately wanted to leave the room stunk like urine and moth balls it also looked nothing like the photos displayed. Blankets on bed looked like they were from 1960 and you could just see the dip in the bed from looking at it. There were gnats flying around bathroom was filthy and sink was clogged, my in laws room had black mold on the ceiling. I went to front, where man was outside smoking and ignoring my presence I said excuse me can you tell me where this room is I showed him the nice picture of the room I thought we were getting he laughed to the other guy he was smoking with then said well its the room you are in it was just upgraded 2 months ago.......I thought I was going to snap. I called bookings.com and complained.IT took 2 weeks for this place to give us our money back and that was only because we called EVERYDAY to followup. I honestly believe any reviews that say this place is great a written from the staff trying to lure unsuspecting people in then try to screw you on double paying fir your room. I read several reviews on here with similar issues like we had. DO NOT BOOK A ROOM HERE especially if you have children. I am pretty sure this is a drug dealing spot. Our room had a safe on the garbage can........but no hairdryer or coffee maker.....interesting isn't it? Seems to me a safe is more expensive......and if you are staying here you don't have anything valueable to lock up except your crack and meth supply. Run far away

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Diane W
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

At first I was sceptical about booking because of previous reviews but me my husband and our children enjoyed our stay the room was clean and we stayed close to the pool.the location was awesome we were in the center of everything. My favorite part was the pool never closed so me and my husband took a late night dip overall it was a nice stay

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank freemajr
New Orleans, LA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I stayed here with a friend for the weekend. Our plan was to be in walking distance of Club Bimini (AJ's Seafood Restaurant after hours), which is right across the street. We are both born and raised New Orleanians so we understand party accommodations very well. Yes, the place is a rat hole. Yes, we slept on top of beach towels because the comforter was too dingy. Yes, the room was musty. Yes, we were awakened by a biker group preparing their motorcycles for travel in the early a.m. Yes, we wore shower shoes. YES, we only needed to store our belongings and shower during a fun weekend of partying and could care less about our accommodations. BTW, there's a Waffle House next door, which makes it an even better party location.

If you a planning to stay here as a couple or with your kids, you are insane and will definitely be disappointed. I recommend the WIngate or Motel 6 for an inexpensive deal. Residence Inn Sandestin is a nice treat with great shuttle service to popular spots. If you have a little cash to spend just go the Palms of Destin....my favorite spot in Destin (when I'm with the family).

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We came to Destin a day early and needed 2 rooms for the night. We booked the room thru booking.com that afternoon. When my family arrived the hotel said they didn't have my reservation. They said that it should have come in by fax and they didn't have it. I called booking.com and the woman said she has a copy of the fax transmission that showed confirmed pages sent and received. I told the from desk this and with in a few mins he produced them. Now that mess was done, my wife and I looked at the room, what a dump. Sink was cloged. Key didnt work on the door either. It took 15 mins just to have maint guy reset the door. We decided not to stay there. Now I am still waiting on the return of my $. It's been almost 2 weeks. I just spoke to a woman that said she would search for the other room. They seem to have only returned the one room $ and not the other. Ugh. If you choose to stay here your rolling the dice.

Room Tip: Rooms they gave us were at the very back of whole place.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

stayed for a week in late may/june with a friend, had to wait for the rooms, which isn't a problem, but it looked like they completely skipped over the bathroom. or maybe they're just naturally that dirty. my friend booked the rooms, and while making small talk with the front desk the lady at the front desk seemed to feel it was necessary to claim that the "bad reviews were from other hotels in the area." seems legit. the towels were really small and rough, they had definetely seen better days. it made me wonder how many other [--] they had wiped. only positives were the location, the a/c, and the housekeeping lady was friendly, although she did not speak much english (russian maybe?) bottom line, it was a place to come back to after a day at the beach in that essence it served its purpose it's not some fancy suite and it doesn't pretend to be. but next time, i will probably spend a few bucks more for a cleaner room.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family