“Favorite spot”

Village Inn of Destin
Ranked #32 of 38 Hotels in Destin
Reviewed May 3, 2012 via mobile

This is by no means a fancy hotel. It is basic and dated. The beds are older along with the decor. But it is clean and the staff has always been so friendly. The pool stays open all night unless people are not behaving. I absolutely love this place. It is cheap and across the road from many great drinking and eating establishments. Mainly the boardwalk. We have stayed here at least twice a year for the past 6 years. Every time we have had a great time. The location brings us back. Walk across the street, have drinks, walk home. If you are not planning on spending much time in the hotel and just want a clean safe place to stay, this is your place. The only negative is you can't Walk to a good beach from there. But the good public beach is less than 5 minutes away.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Uco_guy

Reviewed April 30, 2012

If you are on a budget and want something cheap close to the harbor walk village, I'd say stay here. Our experience was ok. The hotel wasn't very clean. The room had a weird smell to it, only two of the outlets worked in our room, after getting out of the shower and walking around the room your feet will be black and the complementary breakfast items are just coffee, juice and little debbie treats.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Molly B
Reviewed April 30, 2012

Let me start off by saying that my husband and I love our vacations and put a lot of effort in taking them and have stayed in many vacation rentals and motels and none of them have been perfect and we have accepted the good with the bad and have never complained until now that is. The only thing good about this motel was that it was next door to a great waffle house THAT'S IT! This vacation had a dual purpose we took my husbands adult sisters to Florida for 6 nights for a Christmas present because they had never been, so we reserved 2 rooms for 6 nights. What attracted me to the motel when choosing one was location and price. Though the price was a few dollars cheaper than the other motels,I felt it still would be nice because of its location....WRONG..as soon as we opened the doors to our rooms we were blasted in the face with a stomach turning odor of sour water and mildew. The insides of the drawers smelled so bad you couldn't put your clothes in them,no clock, no coffee pot, no
iron , no blow dryer, blankets weren't provided you had to go to the office to one. In my sisters in law room when they turned on the heat the room was filled with the smell of burning urine someone had urinated in the heater. Our phone had a tremendous amount of static on it, the towels and washcloths were covered with stains and felt like sandpaper. The carpets in both rooms were so nasty they would stick to your feet when you walked on them. You could take a shower and walk across the room and then have to go and wash your feet. The electricity kicked breakers twice during the night. My husband went and bought a can of Lysol immediately and we sprayed everything down especially the beds. The toilet took seven times to flush before it finally succeeded one time. All of the windows were clouded up and you couldn't see out them clearly. We paid a lot extra money to take our pet because they said they would have to fumigate after we left because of our pet. We were worried having our pet there, they should have paid us to keep her from getting something,she was far cleaner than that place. I took her out to the back to do her business and found a homemade marijuana pipe in the parking lot that I am thoroughly convinced came from one of the employees or from one of the many many strange looking people having meetings in the parking lot at all hours of the night. It was party central all night and it took forever to lock our door leading us to believe anybody could get in it. The continental breakfast was stale little Debbie cakes and stale coffee in a commercial size thermos. There was one ice machine in the lobby which was not always open,contrary to what we were told when we registered. I went to the office once to ask the man at the counter about vending machines and he acted like I wasn't there while he yelled at a man on the phone about the amount that was charged on his credit card . The motel had a realtors sign in front,so it was being sold. This is the first time I have ever written a hotel review and swear by everything in it that it is true. Choose another hotel!

Stayed: April 2012
4  Thank Sharon P
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I was just there for a family vacation, the rooms were clean, BUT the bathrooms were molded and smelled awful, while there, we had to ask them to come and fix our toilet twice, cause it kept backing up..... When we go back, we will not be staying here again, once was enough. Also, for the free breakfast it was little Debbie cakes, juice, and coffee. I meet with others vacationing there and they also said they would not be back!

Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Dee S
Reviewed April 2, 2012

This place is a great value stay in Destin. If you're not expecting anything extravagant but are looking for a clean, comfortable place a few miles from public access beaches and close to shopping and restaurants then you will be pleasantly surprised. They have a nice pool area and a friendly staff. We wouldn't hesitate staying there again on another trip to Destin.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Michael M
Reviewed March 29, 2012

While this inn was kind of ancient we found it sparkling clean and well appointed as well as smelling nice. There were plenty of linens and personal items to use while we were there. The pool was clean and the pool area was well kept with good chairs, lounges, etc. The continental breakfast suited us fine and everyone who we came in contact with was pleasant and helpful. WiFi was provided and the TV worked well. In addition....a Waffle House was on the property. Nice. Thank you Village Inn of Destin. We will return.

Room Tip: The rooms near the pool are for smokers. Avoid that area if you can.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Billcroley
Reviewed March 5, 2012

March 5, 2012. The Village Destin Inn is my home-away-from-home! So I'm responding to the bed bug review which I can't imagine to be true. For the past ten months (since June '11) I have been traveling to Florida for a monthly health appointment, spending two nights at the Village Destin Inn. I've found the staff to be so friendly and more than accommodating and the rooms clean, tidy and bed-bug-free (as I have stayed in a variety of rooms over these past months.) Before my first visit I was simply expecting a cheap motel with a chain link fence around the pool - and I was pleasantly surprised. Lattice-work and plants shield the pool from the back lot and the pool furnishings are new, comfortable and well maintained. If you're looking for an inexpensive motel, run by friendly "family-style" management, with a well-groomed pool and delicious morning coffee, this place is for you.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business