“Noisy rooms, leaky vent in bathroom”

Candlewood Suites Destin-Sandestin
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Destin
Reviewed May 13, 2010

The rooms were very noisy and kept me up all night. There was also a vent that was leaking water and soaked the towels. The manager was also not very nice when checking out.

3  Thank tripseeker500
bharrison99, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Destin-Sandestin, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2010

I apologize for the quality of your most recent stay. As the new General Manager here, Boyd Harrison, I am always eager to learn about both our excellence and our shortcomings.

Upon reading your comments, I have begun working with my maintenance engineer to determine what these issues were and how they can be mediated. Most importantly, I want you to know that your concerns have not fallen on deaf ears, and I ask you to come visit us again in the future to show you what REAL Candlewood Value is all about!

Best Regards,
Boyd Harrison

Reviewed May 6, 2010

When we first arrived, we notified one of the Candlewood employees (4 days in advance) that we wanted to check out a day early. We had to return home a day early for work-related reasons. The employee at the front desk stated that there would be no problem. However, at checkout, the manager (David) stated that he would not honor the early check out and said we had an advanced purchase, even though we booked a flexible rate. After we mentioned that we booked a flexible rate, he said he couldn't do anything with a smirk on his face. During the 20 minute discussion, he was rude, unprofessional, and inflexible. When he mentioned he was sorry, he had a smirk on his face and said that no one was stopping us from leaving the hotel despite being penalized the extra day cost. He was unwilling to compromise, at any level, even when we stated we would report him to the Better Business Bureau and leave negative feedback on travel websites.

During our stay, David was also rude when we went to exchange towels. David defensively asked how many people were in the room, like we were trying to hide people and not pay the extra person tax. When I asked for an additional towel, he gave me a blank stare for several seconds before finally giving me an additional towel. One of the towels also had a pubic hair on it, which makes me wonder how clean the hotel is. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and it is not worth your time and effort especially if you feel that your plans may change.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
9  Thank bwill90
CWSGM, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Destin-Sandestin, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2010

Okay, where to start? Please remember that we are in the hospitality business. We have not been able to maintain such high rankings on this website out of pure luck. Most of our guests enjoy their stay and have returned with friends and family since we opened two years ago.

This reservation was an advance or prepay through Expedia. Expedia reservations are non-refundable with many restrictions, including checking out early. We could not verify that a request to depart early was ever made and the departure date was never changed. All of our desk clerks understand that this is not customary and to ask a manager for approval. The guests had four days to ask a manager about the possibility of leaving early, and they chose not to.

Next, I would like to address the "rude and towel" comments. I was never rude during our conversation. As a General Manager of 11 years, being rude is something that is not tolerated or acceptable. As a matter of fact, there were two other guests standing off to the side near our business center who heard the entire conversation. When you decided to leave and told me to "blank off!," they were shocked at your tone of language. There is a big difference between having a professional disagreement and blantant rudeness. I never raised my voice and always maintained professionalism. I could see the guests off to the side, when you could not.

When I was exchanging your towels, you only had two sets. Most people, including couples, exchange more than two sets, because our rooms have 3-4 sets of towels. I asked how many people were in the room, because I wanted to ensure you had enough towels for everyone. The thought of charging extra for more people was never a thought, mainly because it's not something we typically do.

I believe in free speech.....as long as the truth is being told.

Reviewed April 29, 2010

CS is located less than a mile from the Silver Sands Outlet Mall in Miramar Beach. It's about a minute or two from the Destin city limits and maybe 10 minutes from Fort Walton Beach. The hotel is on the north side of Hwy. 98 which means you can't view the ocean, but you can see glimpses of a nice bay in the back of the hotel if you're on the 3rd or 4th floor. The hotel shares the same entrance with a mattress store and a fondue restaurant called The Melting Pot.

The Mrs. checked in as I parked the car, but said the check-in was a pleasant experience. I think the evening front desk clerk's name was Chrystal and she was very friendly throughout our stay.

The parking lot is clean and seemed safe, even at night. When we got upstairs, the hallway was a bit hot as if the A/C was off. It concerned me at first, but it was never another issue with it during our stay. Once we got to the room, it was nice and cool inside.

The room (#403) was very clean. When you walk in onto the hardwood flooring, there is a kitchenette on the right with a full-sized refrigerator (that produces ice), microwave, stove, and cabinets with plates and cutlery. There is a bar/seating area where you can have all of your meals or hook up your laptop and surf comfortably in this wonderful office chair they had.

Now, I do have a problem with their representation of the wireless internet. It is free, but only for a certain download speed (less than 2 GB, I think). If you want super high-speeds, it's going to cost you any where from $5-$10 a night (don't quote me). I stuck with the free wireless internet at the limited speed which was good enough for basic surfing, checking e-mails, etc. I don't think it's good enough for Netflix streaming or a lot of YouTube though.

You also have a 32" LG HDTV with access to connections for HDMI, DVI, Component Inputs, S-Video, and Composite Inputs. Despite the TV being in HD, the Cox Cable was not which was disappointing. They did have a DVD player in the room, I was still able to hook up my Xbox 360 for gaming and watching a Netflix DVD that I brought with me. The quality of my HDMI input looked great on their TV. I also had the option of borrow a movie from the hotel DVD library which ranged from "Ocean's Thirteen" to "Sleepless in Seattle". I think they offered more than 50 movies to borrow and a lot of them were recent.

You go into the entrance to the bedroom and you're greeted with another 32" LG HDTV and a king size bed. To the side is a desk (or makeup area) and a nightstand on the opposite side with an alarm clock. The bed was very comfortable to me, but I also found myself dozing off in the recliner in the other room.

The bathroom was a nice size and the only thing I didn't like was the bathtub. It was very sloped and I actually slipped (but didn't fall) once as did my wife. It's not very wide and is very steep which means you have to be careful in it. There's a hand rail, but it's on the outside of the shower which only helps you getting in.

The front desk clerks offered great service. Chrystal was very friendly and Keone, the day clerk, was also great and gave great recommendations on places to eat. If you're in the area, you have to try Jordano's Pizza, Callahan's (home cooking with lunch specials), and Jim & Nicks BBQ for their cheese biscuits, beef briskets, and lemon pie.

You're only minutes away from the beach, but I wouldn't advise trying to walk. The highway can get pretty busy.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay and I would stay again if given the opportunity.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
CWSGM, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Destin-Sandestin, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2010

Thank you so much for your detailed description. You really took note of the many great features our hotel offers. Please come back soon!

Reviewed April 20, 2010

This has got to be the noisiest hotel I've ever stayed in. We had a room facing hwy. 98 and we could hear all the traffic going by. What's even worse was we heard noise from our neighbors above, belowc and next to us. We heard every door closing, people walking through the halls, and all kinds of knocking and bumping throughout the night. Needless to say, we didn't get much sleep. Stay away!

2  Thank atlantic2580
CWSGM, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Destin-Sandestin, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2010

Thank you for your candid comments. We take pride in attempting to provide excellent service and a comfortable environment for all of our guests. I was not aware that you were bothered by noise. Did you by chance say anything to the front desk? If a complaint is made, the desk is instructed to locate the room causing the noise and politely inform them a complaint has been made. I personally apologize and do hope that you will give us another try at ensuring your needs are met. Thank you again for your comments so we can continue to improve our quality of comfort.

Reviewed April 7, 2010

I booked this Hotel based on tripadvisor's ratings. While it is very new, it sits right next to the highway, and is more than a mile from the beach. I thought a 4 star rating meant something. I think there is something fishy about all of these ratings! This is a new mediocre lodging. They gym sits in a tiny little room, no breakfast, laundry soap was $1.50 for a little box. The cleaning staff was very nice, but the check in staff was very impersonal. I would not recommend this place. I checked out immediately the next day, and found a great place right on the beach for $10.00 more.

Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank litebox
CWSGM, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Destin-Sandestin, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2010

Thank you very much for your input. The Candlewood Suites has been no lower than a ranking of 4 over the last 2 years. We take pride in our work. We are just a half mile or so to the closest beach access. Most of our guests drive a little bit further to a larger parking lot near Pompano Joes. Candlewood Suites offer free coffee and multiple items to purchase in the cupboard. We offer breakfast sandwiches, bagels, muffins, fruit, yogurt, and several types of juice. Yes, there is a small charge for cupboard items, but our room rates are typically much lower than comparable hotels that provide breakfast. We also offer full kitchens in every one of our suites. Yes, we do charge for our soap, which is enough to do 1-2 loads, but using the washer and dryer are free! I'm sorry that you decided to stay elsewhere. We do appreciate your feedback and hope that you will consider a Candlewood in the future.

Reviewed April 6, 2010

My wife and I stayed two nights at Candlewood while we were looking for real estate and we were very pleased. The hotel is conveniently situated between most of the area's shopping and businesses. The en suite kitchen had everything one would need for a short stay and the beds and bathrooms were comfortable and clean. The staff was friendly and eager to share area information. As with any hotel, I would advise booking a top floor if possible because of the the floor noise. The business center is located in the lobby and is easy to use. Overall, a good stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
CWSGM, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Destin-Sandestin, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2010

I am so glad the two of you enjoyed your stay. In addition, you taking the time to compliment us means so much. Working at a hotel can be very demanding and times and we always appreciate folks who take a few moments to compliment us. I hope your real estate hunting went well. I have resided in Destin for 15 years and this IS the time to buy. If you don't do it now you will be kick'in yourself 5 years from now. Thanks again and please come back when you close on that real estate purchase! :)

Reviewed March 29, 2010

Made reservations using Priority Club points (Platinum member). Upgraded for $10.00 per night to get a two bed room. Stayed for seven nights. At check-out the amount due was only $20.00 rather than the $70.00 I expected. Reason was I got a free upgrade for the nights that a room was available of the same type I was renting. In addition, the entire staff was friendly and attentive. Enjoyed the stay immensely. Highly recommend this hotel. Close to the beach and a short drive to many very good restaurants and outlet malls.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
CWSGM, GENERAL MANAGER at Candlewood Suites Destin-Sandestin, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2010

So glad you enjoyed your stay! Thank you very much for taking a few moments to compliment the Candlewood Team. We also appreciate you being a Priority Club member! See, the membership does have its benefits! Your Platnium status is earned and you deserve an upgrade. We thank you so much for your IHG loyalty and letting us know how pleased you were.