“Ideal family resort”

The Palms of Destin Resort and Conference Center
Ranked #32 of 55 Specialty Lodging in Destin
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Great unit. Very large, 2 bedroom, 2 bath and full kitchen. Perfect space for a family of 4. Having the full kitchen to cook saves a lot of money and time waiting at restaurants, although we ate out a couple of nights. The surrounding area is great. The pool is amazing for kids and there is a daily kids activity. Unit very clean and loved having a washer and dryer in there. Great family vaca on the emerald coast.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Thedannfamily
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Thank you ever so kindly for promoting our resort so well and mentioning all of the amenities that we offer. However, what is most important to us is that your time here was memorable and pleasant! We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours make it all worthwhile.

I hope that we can continue to exceed all of your vacationing needs in the future. Please find us on Facebook and post some of your favorite vacation photos.

Thanks again!

Reviewed June 19, 2012

We recently stayed 4 nights for a meeting with my husband's work. We loved that we were in condos which had all the luxuries of home as well as being very nicely decorated. The pool was also very nice.

A few of the downfalls included that the resort is not on the beach, though it is a quick bus ride that's provided. I felt that the staff didn't particularly care to help. I also can't say enough about how the food wasn't up to par. I've never been so disappointed in the food. To start they set up a buffet breakfast for the group. Usually you can't go wrong, ha! The eggs smelled funny, the bacon was half cooked, and we were given cold pastries. The thing that bugged me the most was that we were drinking from disposable cups. I've been to enough of these meetings and other functions to know that our company pays more then enough and I can't figure out why we were using disposables. (I know that sounds so snobby and at home we use them, I just feel with the money put out we could get real glasses.) Besides the breakfast all of our dinners were pretty bland and most of the group agreed.

To sum it up, if you go on your own and don't plan to eat there or mind that you aren't on the beach I think it's a pretty nice place. If you are looking for eager staff to help and wonderful food, this is not the place for you.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank lporle
VisionaryDestin, General Manager at The Palms of Destin Resort and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Thank you expressing your appreciation of the resort suites and facilities; however, I am disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations while staying with us here at The Palms of Destin Resort & Conference Center.

We offer a complimentary shuttle service to the beach daily that I hope you were able to take advantage of during your stay.

Please know that your concerns regarding our restaurant and service are taken seriously and if you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me directly.

Thank you again and we look forward to hosting your annual conference again next year.

David Hess

Reviewed June 16, 2012

From the difficulty of making a reservation "nobody here on weekends to help you" to the time we checked out, 2 hour extension granted but the keys to the room stopped working, the service at this hotel was awful. The staff at the front desk were rude and uninterested.

The Hotel itself, and the accommodations, were very nice but with employees who acted as if looking after the guests were a burden I would not go back nor recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you must go request a room on a higher floor overlooking the pool. Otherwise you could be overl...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank BMCME
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

Thank you very much for your response and feedback from your recent vacation to The Palms of Destin Resort. We are glad that you all enjoyed the accommodations, the resort amenities and the gulf views.

I would also like to address your concerns regarding our Visionary Destin staff. I want to inform you that we, as of very recently, have required the entire staff to undergo an extensive training in customer service and hospitality. We are determined to increase the service levels provided up to a 5 star rating. This is a work in progress and we are already seeing tremendous results and receiving fantastic compliments.

We look forward to your return to the Emerald Coast and would love to host your family vacation again.

Allyson Dyas
Marketing Director

Reviewed April 8, 2012

What a nice and convenient place to stay! The resort is conveniently located on the strip with lots of access to restaurants, stores, and recreational activities which are all in walking or driving distant. Parking in the deck was easy as well as pleasantly accessible. The Jr. Suite rooms are fully equipped with a kitchen and washer/dryer combo that definitely came handy. Be sure to bring or purchase toiletries b/c they are not replenished if you run out. The pictures listed on the resort's website are very acurate which helps with making a final decision. The bar was lively on Thursday night with live music and a DJ. Although the fun continued through the late night, the noise wasn't a problem once you closed the patio door. Also, the restaurant offered great menu options from the kids menu to the adult entrees. The pools were fun and clean especially the heated mini pool, just wish it was much bigger since the weather was too cool for the bigger pool. The jaccuzzi was often preoccupied with teenagers and other visitors who didn't want to acknowledge your presence or even say hello... (okay, I digress). Overall, our stay was very pleasant and fun!

Room Tip: Higher floors have a great view of the gulf coast
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank blondie041
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Beware of the check-in time and check out time!! We traveled from Indiana by car and got to the hotel at 10:30am. I had checked earlier in the week about an earlier check in since we had only 3 full days in Florida for a quick spring break trip. The young black good-looking guy with blue contacts at the front desk was totally worthless and was there just to hold up the counter. He made no effort to get us into our room early. We waited for several hours to finally get in at the check in time of 4pm.I was told that we could possibly get in our room at noon. Just be aware check in is 4pm and check out is 10am and the cleaning lady knocked on our door promptly at 10am to get us out to clean the room. I asked the above mentioned guy about recommending a restaurant nearby....He looked at me and said "I have no idea". I asked if anyone else was available to ask and he said "no". The next day he was there and I asked about taking a taxi from Fort Walton to Destin for my 17 year old son and approximate cost. He said "I have no idea". When I asked him if he could get ahold of someone who might be able to help and give me some idea of what I should expect to pay he just said...."There is no one else here". It is one thing to not know the answer but it is another to be just plain lazy and not helpful and not even offer to find out and make an effort. He just sat on the stool behind the counter slouched position in his pretty button-up shirt. Flat affect.....just a shell. I agree with the other writers...this guy sucked and was of no help. He, unfortunately, gives The Palms of Destin a bad first impression. To the defense of the young brunette gal and the older lady (she was the best) they were very helpful when they were there (too bad we didnt see them enough)....Now onto the condos. The plus was that the condo was nice and clean and spacious enough with a full kitchen. This was convenient as we cooked breakfast and a dinner or two at the condo. The entire property was beautiful and well kept and as the pictures show on their website. The pool was very nice and for spring break, not crowded at all. The view was nice but......There was no mention of location in proximity of the beach and the pictures posted by the Palms of Destin did not indicate either way except for the fact that there is a professional picture posted of the beach with their chairs and umbrellas which leads one to believe the beach is very close. I did read that you can walk to the beach. My kids, 11 and 17 enjoyed sprinting across the 4 lane freeway dodging traffic to get to the beach. Call me spoiled, I'd rather walk through the lobby right onto the sandy beach. The beach was very nice with white sand and clean. We enjoyed playing in the waves and going out onto a sandbar about 100 ft into the ocean. Lots of fun closer to high tides and riding the bigger waves. Destin is a nice little town with all the usual stores you would find in a moderate to larger town in Florida. Walmart, Publix both nearby. Ruths' Chris steakhouse across the highway. My husband loved it. The property had a super workout facility. This was the best I have ever seen. The treadmills have built-in TVs and there are plenty of them and the place was never crowded. Also the property has a nice parking garage and we saw a security guard on duty around the clock. Aside from the proximity to the beach, check-in time, and the lame guy at the desk, I would recommend this place to stay. We all had a great time!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Snooozzzze
Reviewed March 26, 2012

When searching for hotels we found this property which was within our budget and had all of the amentities we were looking for...Out of our group of four couples three of my buddies and I are currently serving in the army in afghanistan and were looking to take our girl friends out for a nicer vacation after a long time away...When calling the hotel they told us we were not able to rent a room because we are under the age of 25...I offered whatever kind of security deposit in cash that they wanted and they still declined us even after talking to a rental manager...I just like the fact my fellow soldiers and I are mature enough to get shot at and blown up for the management of this hotel but not mature enough to relax in their hotel with our girlfriends who have been waiting a year to see us...awesome

Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
14  Thank Jonathan P
Reviewed March 23, 2012

My stay here was absolutely wonderful! The staff was very friendly and helpful and the room was beautiful! We had a two room jr. suite and it was plenty of room for the four of us. The view from the room on the balcony was great! We could see the beach right across the highway and could look down at the beautiful pool area. The room was clean and the whole place looked to be well maintained. They have a shuttle to take you right across to the beach and they also give you beach chairs and beach towels. Everything we wanted to do was just down the highway. There is a walmart in walking distance as well as places to eat. The silver sands outlet mall is right down the highway as well as the harbor docks where most of the parasailing and dolphin cruises are located. I suggest you check out fudpuckers and AJ's oyster bar as well as AJ's seablaster dolphin cruise.

Keep in mind that this is not a full service hotel so there will be no maid service, which I was more than fine with. There is a complete kitchen and a washer and dryer so that you can wash your own towels and clothes. The parking is free and there was no charge for a resort fee or maid service fee.

Room Tip: We stayed in the second tower on the 12th floor which had a great view of the beach from the balcony...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank lsc38127
Also consider these accommodations in or near Destin
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Destin
Ariel Dunes at Seascape Resort
El Matador
El Matador
#6 of 15 in Fort Walton Beach

Been to The Palms of Destin Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!