“Charming hotel, perfect location near beach”

Colony Hotel and Cabana Club
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Delray Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Larchmont, N.Y.
“Charming hotel, perfect location near beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

In March 2014, we spent a day with a college friend who was staying at the Colony Hotel. We had drinks on the veranda and a relaxed day at the pool.
A wonderful location, near the beach, quiet, very private, with shuttles from hotel to beach. We would go again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank tymichna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
raleigh, nc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

We stayed at Colony Hotel for a full week while visiting family. Overall we had a great stay, only a couple of things "marred" our experience and that is why I gave a "very good" rating compared to an "excellent" rating.

I'll start with the bad, so I can end on all the good notes!

Small rooms. We had a 2 bedroom room for the 4 of us (2 adults, 2 kids). It was great that the kids had a separate room, but if you are the type of person that is looking back to go back to your room and relax, this is not the place. You have the bed, tv, desk, dresser and 2 teeny tiny nightstands.

Somewhat loud. Hardwood floors and high heels aren't a good mix. On the weekends, the halls are slightly noisy. We were on the back side of the hotel, so we did not have any Atlantic Ave. noise at least.

Check In/Check Out Experience: Checking In was slightly confusing as no one directed us where to go. The front of the hotel is on a busy street, so I don't even think you can park in front of the hotel. We drove around the back of the hotel and went in through the ballroom (one of the yoga rooms). During our check out, one of the parking attendants seemed more interested in getting $5 for parking for yoga customers than helping out the actual hotel guests, which was unfortunate that our last experience at the hotel had to leave a sour taste in our mouth.

Now on to the Good Stuff-

Clean! Upon arriving in our room, I was immediately impressed with the cleanliness of it. The bedroom and bathroom were spotless!

Location! The Colony is close to everything! Countless restaurants and shops outside your door.

Beach Club! Loved the beach club. The pool is beautiful. The beach had "tents", umbrellas and chairs to use. Truly enjoyed not having to drag all that kind of stuff for a day at the beach. Ate lunch at the club several times. Our waiter (didn't get his name) was so friendly and gave us great service. The food is a bit pricey for lunch (with tip usually cost us between $62-$72), but it is very fresh and tasty. I particularly enjoyed the fish tacos. The people who work at the beach club are so friendly.

Front Patio-I loved the front patio and eating breakfast here in the morning. Breakfast was adequate and I appreciate very much that it is included in the cost.

Ipod dock-Rooms have an ipod/iphone dock. Since the hallway was a bit noisy for my taste, the next night I used a sound machine app and plugged into the dock. Voila! Slept much better!

All in all, a great stay. Would not hesitate to stay here again. It is a lovely hotel and has a lot to offer!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank ncdeb73
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

My 20+ daughter and I came over for a one night stay in Delray after being in Palm Beach all week. The Colony was just what we expected. It is definitely historic. We pulled in and parked directly behind the hotel - free, easy parking! I LOVED the hotel bar and being able to sit on the front porch watching everbody go up and down Atlantic Ave.! The man at the hotel desk was kind enough to take us and show us our room before we even committed to stay. He rode us up on the authentically old elevator. The room was lovely - very historic, with a beautiful antique bed and other antique furnishings. It did have a window unit, but I guess that goes with the age of the hotel. I am a light sleeper, so the noise of the window unit and the street kept me from sleeping at my absolute best.I think I would take a sleep machine next time. The hallways are very bright teal and lime - this was my least favorite thing, because it did not fit with the historic feel of the hotel. I think that this part of the decor was to look like Cuba, and it did help brighten up the hallways. You had to step up to the bathroom but it was small and precious with it's white tile. The room and bathroom were emaculate. The breakfast in the lobby was good, but I think I would lay it out a little differently. It has a dark/enclosed seeming area where they set it up even though there is a sky light, and they have 2 different areas, so it is sort of complicated. The food was good - not great. I took my breakfast and coffee back out to the front porch and read my book. It was a lovely morning and I loved seeing all of the action and the other hotel guests. Atlantic Avenue is a VERY busy street, so don't think you will be off in some picturesque porch with a calm setting. We love activity and people, so it was perfect for us! Most of the guests that I saw were in their 60s/70s. It was sooo easy to walk down Atlantic Avenue and shop and go to dinner. We felt right in the middle of it all. It is perfect if you want to just walk up and down the street and dine (a lot of wonderful open air restaurants) and shop (tons of amazing boutiques). The next day we even walked across the street to get macaroons from a precious French bakery before shopping again. We drove to the beach club which was VERY nice. There was hardly anybody there and they had a lovely pool and a spacious area of beach with cabanas. The men at the check-in were very friendly and happy. We just wish we could have spent more time there! We will definitely return to Delray Beach and stay at The Colony Hotel!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

This hotel is so nice the swing music in the lobby makes t seem like you have gone back in time. The rooms are comfy, the bathroom is large with room to move.There are beautiful colors in the hallways and common spaces,mango, papaya, turquoise and green.I loved the fiesta ware at breakfast!
The beach club is 2 miles away and worth the trip, make sure you have lunch there!
This hotel is in a great location, there are a lot of shops, restaurants and fun things to do close by.
If you have a car parking is simple in the hotel parking lot

Room Tip: The corner queen was nice, you can open 2 windows if you don't want to use the A/C.Nice size bat...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

A hotel is defined by more than just the amenities it offers; it's the people who make the difference. John at the front desk, Wesley at the bar, and Charles at the beach club all went out of their way to make us feel welcome. We have stayed at the Colony through the years, and the service is always exceptional. The Colony is our first choice when we are in S Fl.

Room Tip: Historic King Room # 234 is the best in the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank thechief2
Portland, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

We decided to rent a car from Fort Lauderdale Airport and stay here before our cruise out of Port Everglades. We liked the history of the hotel and the overall decor. Our room was small, but was fine for the short stay. The breakfast choices were good, including eggs, bacon, sausage, cereal, breads, juice, coffee. We really enjoyed taking the shuttle over to the beach/pool, and ate lunch at the restaurant there as well. We also liked East Atlantic Ave, with the shops and restaurants. As this was our first time at the hotel I would have appreciated a welcome package of some sort with perhaps shuttle details, along with breakfast information. When I asked I was given the breakfast hours and told to look on the bulletin board for the shuttle information. The customer service was just a little lacking in my opinion. If you like historical locations and like a very low key atmosphere I think you will enjoy this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask ahead for size and view if that is important to you
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

Hotel,Brekfast,service, setting, lovely quaint yet lively setting in and outside the hotel. Rooms wonderful, beach, pool cabana club perfect. already booked next year. two sisters late 60's loved it..

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends