“A gem of a hotel”

Colony Hotel and Cabana Club
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Delray Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 24, 2007

This hotel is apparently not for everyone, as evidenced by the reviews. However, I have revisited 3 times and enjoyed it a great deal. Excellent breakfast; very comfortable beds and excellent staff. Some rooms are more noisy, but staff can advise which are less likely to be noisy. I had no problems with sleep, hot water, or service. The person who complained about the lack of a pool missed the cabana club that is available with a beautiful beach and salt water pool. I like to avoid the chain hotels, and this is an enjoyable alternative.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 13, 2007

wow, this place is a must, quaint and quirky, smallish rooms but very comfortable and clean, wooden floors, great beds. A fabulous foyer and front porch ot hang out on with a bar, adequate breakfast and a wonderful beach club about 2 miles away (shuttle bus). Right in the heart of Atlantic Ave. Dogs allowed. Forget the Marriott stay here.

• Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank uklauren
Reviewed November 4, 2007

My girlfriend and I returned to the Colony in October, 2007 and loved
it as much as the first time. It is a well kept older hotel very high
on the charm factors. The colorful paint job in the halls and rooms make it look wonderful. We love the older elevator, which one of the workers let my girlfriend run, and really just enjoy the feel of the place. All of the staff were wonderful. We liked the beach club and their salt water pool, but we suspected some of the other members would have preferred that we were not there...but that was their problem! If you want modern day luxury, look elsewhere, but if you like charm and enjoy nostalgia, this one is for you!

Jp
pjaizzz@yahoo.com

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2007

This hotel was one of the more unique ones I've stayed at. The colors were bright and cheerful. The bedrooms were a good size with hardwood floors. The elevator is old and hand operated. Free internet access. Good location in Delray Beach. Hotel is within walking distance of cute shops and very good restaurants. The cabana club on the beach is almost worth the rate itself. We had a simple lunch there that was yummy. They don't sell liquor at the beach club but you can bring your own and you have acess to ice and water. It's like having your own private beach with lounges and a swimming pool. They have a shuttle back and forth between the club and hotel, but it is easier just to drive there. There is plenty of parking at both places. The main drawback, otherwise this place would be perfect, is window air units in the rooms! It was very hard to keep the room cool. The bathroom was very hot. Also they try to conserve and don't provide individual soap/shampoo; it is in a dispenser which I didn't care for. I liked the quaintness and Cabana Club of the Colony so much, I will probably go back, but only at a cooler time of year.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2007

My Mom, sometimes my Sister and I visit the Colony at least one time per year for several days for a girls' shopping and beach getaway...we love it! The art deco decor reminds of staying at my Grandma's house as a young girl...sure everything is older..it is a historic hotel...so much more interesting than the bland business hotel rooms down the street. The lobby screams South Florida...I mean if you are visiting Florida..do you want that or the bland lobby at the Marriott which looks no different than the lobby of a Marriott in any other city in the US. Despite its age, I found everything to be impeccably clean. We always book the double queen rooms (two rooms each a queen bed ...bathroom in between the rooms)...they are huge for the three of us.

There is some noise but we love the exciting downtown location (we live in the country at home so it is fun to spend a few nights by the "action" sometimes).

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed May 17, 2007

Spent 2 nights at the Colony Hotel in February - front desk staff was pleasant and offered to operate the elevator to get me to my room. After that I walked up and down the stairs which was ok w/ me but not for everyone. Hallways were brightly colored, clean w/ polished wood floors. Room was small, but adequate with traditional furniture (mis matched, but in good condition - could have been the original!) Bathroom was marble and white tile, no chips or cracks and spotless. Wireless internet access worked in my room (apparently not it all rooms as the walls are thick) Room was quiet, except when people walked down the hall - It was a bit like an old fashioned dorm building ! A/C was a window unit which worked, and tropical curtains.

Breakfast was excellent and I enjoyed taking my coffee and paper (newstand down the street) out to the front porch - the porch in fact was a highlight - great for an evening drink (small bar in the lobby) and the lobby was very comfortable as well. It's right on the Main Street (Atlantic) in Delary so was fun in the evening.

The beach access is a beach club, great location about 10 blocks away. Had my own car so i didn't use their shuttle, although i did see it arrive on time in the am. The pool is nice and they have renovated some of the bath houses - looks like they were working on the others as they were in ancient shape!

All in all it was a good stay for me - i was a single traveling w/o my family and felt very comfortable there - didn't need the staff for much (they did seem a bit preoccupied w/ their conversations, but totally attentive whenever i had a question) The rooms were clean and funky in a 1920's kind of way - you could tell it was the original style but had been maintained (or newly painted anyway).

One small complaint - the stairwell door (fire access - or so it said on the emergency info) was Locked - on the 2nd floor - I went down the stairs from the 3rd floor and realized i was trapped as you couldn't go any farther - good thing it wasn't an emergency as i had to go back up to the 3rd floor and then down the hall to the main staircase (elevator is only operated by front desk staff.) Something about damage from the last hurricane (which must have been many months (years?) ago by the time i was there. Not a smart move from a fire safety point of view.

Did it work for me? Absolutely. Would I stay there again? Maybe - Price was excellent for Feb ($120/night) but the room was only big enough for me - no good if traveling w/ family! It would appeal to any travelers who prefer atmosphere over corporate architecture and don't need hand holding up and down the elevator. And the food really was very good.

The next time I went to Delray w/ my family we stayed at the Hilton Suites Boca Raton. Which is another story indeed.

Stayed: February 2007
1  Thank ruthanne17
Reviewed May 2, 2007

I have stayed at the Colony twice in the last 2 years and I hope to have the chance to go back and find the same warm, bright hotel. I feel like I am in another country when I stay there. The service is great, the rooms are clean and the bed is really comfortable. If you are tired of the chain hotels and your are in this area, give it a try.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple