“Good location but needs tlc.”

Residence Inn by Marriott Delray Beach
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Delray Beach
new jersey
“Good location but needs tlc.”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Have read several reviews and most are accurate. The location is great, both for the beach and for the bars and restaurants on Atlantic Ave. The staff is nice, the parking is free, and the internet works. The breakfast is pretty good, if you can get near it given the piggish manners of many.

The property is tired. This is not unexpected given the heavy use. Our bed was good, but the carpet was stained, etc. Ditto the hallways. Also, there was no ac in the halls, and they were steaming. Only one elevator was working. If this happen in season, tempers will fray.

Overall, I would come back for the location. However, a new Hyatt opened in Delray (yesterday I believe). I will check that out before I decide.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank mazolia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
BOCA RATON
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We had a family reunion to celebrate my parent's 55th Anniversary and an upcoming 80th birthday. There were 13 in attendance for 4 days/3 nights. The staff were very accomodating. The breakfast buffet was wonderful and we could move the tables around to seat everyone together. The hotel even had evening snacks and beverages available for three of the nights. The front desk clerk provided information about a free transportation service which was great since my mom was still recovering from surgery.

The college age girls in the group especially liked the fact that they could walk up and down the Avenue.

The beach was within short walking distance. The pool offerred good shade for the family to gather in the late afternoon and evenings.

One of the families rented the 2-bedroom room and stated that there was plenty of room for their family of 5. Their college aged daughter raived about how nice the room was....

All-in-all I would give this hotel two thumbs up.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 11th floor (1100) which had an oceanview. The room was quiet and we were able...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed July 18, 2012

This hotel is in a great location and the rooms are clean and comfortable. However, we were stuck in a room overlooking the roof of an adjoining building that was a very long walk from the elevator. I didn't complain because I was only there for two nights, but it really annoys me that you have to complain when you are paying the top rate for a room.

The housekeeping staff were oblivious. We were trying to take a quick nap at about 4pm when the housekeeper started to continuously slam the door next door. When I asked her to stop she looked annoyed and acted like she didn't understand me. She slammed the door a couple of more times and then finally went away.

Only one elevator worked, which caused great delays. In addition, the housekeeping staff also use the guest elevator. So we were expected to travel in the elevators with large trolleys of housekeeping equipment and linens. Not a very pleasant experience. It seems there should be a utility elevator in a hotel this size.

I like Marriott, but this one was a disappointment

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank memcdBrooklyn
Stuart, Florida
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We could have stayed at the Marriott ("on the beach") or at the Residence in (one block away) but honestly- unless you're on a first date or honeymoon, you get a lot of bang for your buck at the Residence Inn. We arrived VERY early- no problem. Parking: FREE. "Studio" room had "partial ocean view-" trust me, it was plenty of ocean view for miles south. The "room" had a full kitchen (small but immaculate) with a full size fridge. Marble bath with rain shower head. Paul Mitchell amenities. Queen bed with a fresh duvet (no nasty bedspread.) Balcony overlooking the pool and ocean. Large TV and living area with desk. FREE breakfast with eggs, waffles, fresh fruit, yoghurt- all you might want if you are a breakfast person. The Marriott "on the beach" is one block away, and you have to cross A1A to get to the beach from either hotel, so for seasoned travelers- this hotel is an excellent choice.

Room Tip: We were on the 10th floor- 1006- lovely!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jennyjennyz
Ft. Lauderdale
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I chose this hotel because I was looking for someplace to have a girls' weekend with 5 of my friends, to celebrate my birthday! Residence Inn had a 2 bedroom/2 bath suite, with a king bed, 2 queen sized beds, and a pull out couch! It was perfect! We relaxed, hung out in the hot tub, by the pool, then went to dinner afterwards! We live in Fort Lauderdale, so this was a quick "staycation" for us!

I would suggest a few changes though. They didn't have a restaurant on-site to get a quick bite to eat, so we had to order take-out. They gave us a bunch of menus for that! Although, there is a minimal, hot breakfast served in the morning. Also, the hallways were so hot, as if the A/C wasn't working properly. There was only one elevator working-the other one was out of service. I think they also should make the pool towels available near the pool, instead of having to go to the front desk to get them. They need to check the temperature of the hot tub. It wasn't very warm at all, even after we asked for the temperature to be raised! For some reason, the off/on faucets in the bathtubs/shower work the opposite way-You'll need to turn the faucets clockwise for cold water and counter-clockwise for hot! It took us a few tries to figure this out!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
New Windsor, New York
Reviewed June 9, 2012

I've stayed here three times and would stay here every time I'm in Florida. Fabulous Location....great rooms....super friendly and helpful staff....pet friendly....great breakfast and reception...great rooms and views...can't say enough. The only problem from this last trip was one elevator was not working and it made for long waits sometimes. Other than that, I LOVE this place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Monroeville, NJ
Reviewed June 4, 2012

My husband and I just got back from a weeklong stay in Florida. Our original stay was to be at the Residence Inn in Pompano Beach. However, after just one night in that hotel, we rebooked the rest of the week at the Residence Inn in Delray Beach. That was the best decision of our vacation that we made! Upon our arrival we were greeted by a courteous, smiling front desk clerk. We explained to her that we had originally planned on spending our vacation at the Residence Inn in Pompano Beach, but had decided to come to Delray Beach because of the problems we had in Pompano. At the time of our arrival in Delray there were no rooms available on the high floors (we requested an oceanfront suite), so after parking our car in the covered parking area (yes, covered parking and no valet charges here!) we decided to walk the streets and get a bite to eat. As we walked out past the front the hotel, the front desk clerk came running out of the door telling us that our room was ready. I really appreciate the fact that she hunted us down to let us know instead of waiting for us to come back later. We took the elevator to the 7th floor and walked into a wonderful smell......it was a clean, fresh room (unlike Pompano). There was a small kitchen area immediately as you come in and then the living room and finally a beautiful, spacious balcony with a table and 2 chairs. Off of the living room was the spacious bedroom with a king size bed and bathroom and yet another balcony with 2 adirondack chairs. Yes, this suite had 2 balconies and a beautiful 180 degree view of the beautiful turquoise ocean. It was breathtaking! Below us was the pool (which was totally empty) and a wonderful hot tub. The street is lined with small boutiques, cafes, pizza and ice cream shops. At night it is so pretty with all the palm trees lining the street adorned with white lights. There are numerous shops and dining along the entire street, from the beach to past the intercoastal waterway. The beach is only a 2 1/2 block walk, and the sand is soft and fluffy on your feet. I think what surprised me most about this beach is the fact that the water was crystal clear, to the point where you could see to the bottom of the ocean floor. There were no shells, just a little bit of seaweed and clear, calm, blue water. Once you swam out past the breakers, it was like swimming in a lake. I was sorry I had not packed some sort of blowup flotation device so I could just float in the water for hours. I would highly recommend you pack something if you like to just float around. There are lounge chairs and umbrellas on the beach that you can rent for $30 a day. We were lucky enough to inquire at the front desk about locations to purchase chairs instead of renting them daily. Another couple had just checked out that morning and had purchased 2 beach chairs and gave them to the front desk to give to someone else to use. The clerk gave them to us and just asked that we return them to her at the end of our stay. We ended up using those chairs every day we went to the beach, so a big THANK YOU goes out to whoever purchased those chairs. On our last day there we handed the chairs over to the front desk and saw another couple getting ready to go to the beach. We told them the story about someone else purchasing the chairs and us using them while we were here and let them know that they were available for their use now. They were so grateful to us even though we were not the original purchasers. So again, thank you, kind strangers for your thoughtful generosity! My husband and I have stayed at numerous Marriott hotels and we love the fact that Residence Inn provides a full breakfast. Usually they are the same choices every day, however this one provided us with something different most days. There were always scrambled eggs, but some days there was also french toast, or potato pancakes, or some other hot choice. There was also a selection of yogurts, cereals, waffle making, bagels, pastries, juices, etc. I was really impressed with the fact that there was a small refrigerator with cartons of milk, chocolate milk and V8 juice. The only thing that I wish they could have provided was more fresh fruit. Other than that, it was a feast! In our weeks' stay, there were 2 social hours in the evenings. The first one provided soup, caesar salad, breadsticks, brownies and cold cans of soda or iced tea. The second one was a BBQ with hamburgers, hot dogs, chips, chocolate chip cookies and soda and iced tea. So along with a great breakfast, we were able to have a dinner provided for us a couple of times also. As far as things to do in the area, we took the yacht tour, which is walking distance from the hotel, right across the bridge. It was a 2 hour tour of the Intercoastal Waterway. You will see magnificent houses on this tour and spending an afternoon on a yacht was fun too! We also went to Butterfly World, which the kids will certainly like. The butterflies fly all around you, sometimes even landing on you. It's really beautiful to see all of their colors flying so close to you. There's also the Everglades airboat tours, which were really fun, but the loudness might scare some small children (even with wearing earplugs that they give you before boarding). And for any shopping that's a little different from the typical mall, there's the Festival Flea Market on Sample Road. It's a huge, indoor market with all kinds of clothing, jewelry, shoes, handbags, food, etc. This is a good place to go on a rainy day. Be sure to check out all of the coupons and brochures that are available near the front desk for any of these tours. All in all, my husband and I had a wonderful stay at this hotel and are already planning a return visit. If it's in your budget, try to get an oceanfront room and one that is at least on the 6th floor. Anything below that will not give you much of a view. Hope your stay will be as good as ours!

Room Tip: Try to book oceanfront if you can and ask for a high floor. End suites offer a view of the streets...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
#6 of 15 in Delray Beach
Crane’s Beach House Boutique Hotel & Luxury Villas
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Delray Beach I-95
Delray Sands Resort on Highland Beach

Been to Residence Inn by Marriott Delray Beach? Share your experiences!