“Very good lunch”

Cuisines: Caribbean, Cuban, Latin, Puerto Rican
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 19, 2013

16 Feb 13: I met up with a friend in Del Ray to spend some time together. Saturday was an absolutely beautiful sunny, cool day. Perfect timing to enjoy an outdoor lunch at Cabana after some cold and rainy days.

Anytime I travel to Florida, I ways try to get a Cuban meal in. My friend and I started with the tostone rellenos, which were fried green plantains shaped into mini cups and each filled with a choice of chicken, picadillo, or ropa vieja. We both ordered the Cuban sandwich, which came with a choice of salad or shrimp bisque, along with plantain chips.

The tostones were very good and filling. Our shrimp bisque was excellent. I could taste a hint of sherry. The soup was a thick consistency with 2 or 3 shrimp. The Cuban sandwich was huge and I could only eat about a third (yeah, left overs!). The sandwich was very good but I would have liked the bread a little more toasted. I also think the pickles "make" the sandwhich. Inside were very small chopped pieces of pickle, rather than long thin slices. Overall it was very good.

We enjoyed our lunch sitting outside. Del Ray is very dog-friendly. One couple next to us had their dog next to them. The waitress brought a large bowl of water for the dog.

Our waitress provided good service.

Overall: very good place for lunch.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

The food here is spot on. The Cabana Curry is amazing. During the week they do a lunch buffet that is very affordable and out of the world good. Big selection of great food. I bet this is a great date night place also. It seems like it takes on a different persona at night. ooolala. Definitely a must try if you like spanish cuisine.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Back in April 2009, I submitted a review of my visit to Cabana el Rey in Delray Beach. Back then I thought it was, beyond a doubt, my favorite place to eat and drink -- period. Today, it remains my favorite place to eat and drink. My most favorite place! My wife, Stacy, and I, along with our son, Danny, have returned more than a dozen times since then and we have never, ever, been disappointed. The superb merge of spices and flavors of the Caribbean, South America and cajan New Orleans cannot be experienced anywhere else. The wait staff, Layla, Gena, Geo, and the rest, is superb and Mario, the manager, has only one thing on his mind and that's ensuring that his patrons enjoy their time at Cabana. Nowhere, is there a better Cuban Sandwich and I am not able to put into words an effective description of the wonder of their "wings". The Paella Valenciana is special. We've had this dish in Spain and Portugal and Cabana is every bit as good. Now, the real reason I love to go there -- the Mojitos. I did a Mojito crawl that ended at Cabana el Rey. These are the best in the world, next to mine. They are traditional Mojitos. Limes and mint leaves are muddled vigorously by hand and mixed with their house-made simple syrup. Ask for a Mount Gay Mojito and they'll know who sent you and have Julian, the bartender, make it for you. He's been there longer the other barkeeps and, I have to say, makes the best Mojito in the world.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Just came back from South America and decided to try Cabana. Definitely not disappointed. Four of us ordered different entrees and each raved that there meal was the best. The portions were quite large
Definitely a place to go

1  Thank Bethesda26
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We found Cubana while walking down Atlantic Avenue looking for a nice restaurant with outdoor seating. Located on a corner, there was plenty of outdoor seating with lots of cover to protect us from the sun. We both had the Cubana Club sandwich - with chicken breast and serrano ham - it was large and delicious. The sandwich came with fried plantain chips which we'd never had before and enjoyed. We also got an order of manduros - fried sweet plantains. The serving was generous and prepared to perfection. The service was great as well. If you like Cuban food, I would highly recommend it!