“Seafood, Sushi, and More” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of City Oyster

City Oyster
Reserve with OpenTable
City Oyster is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 405 Restaurants in Delray Beach
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Sushi
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Drinks, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 2nd St
Transit: Free shuttle buses
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Seafood, Sushi, and More”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

Believe it or not, South Florida does not have many places one can rely on for good seafood.
City Oyster not only has the best seafood around and an excellent wine list, but they have added a new sushi bar. We ordered a bottle of Conundrum, an assortment of oysters on the half shell, the Rocco Roll, the Tuna Love Roll, and the Iron Chef Roll. I felt the need to write a review because, as always, I had excellent food and great service.

• Visited February 2013

• Greek first
West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
“Looking for a great seafood restraurant and this one was recommended.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

We ordered the mussels in white wine, very flavorful,and served with good bread. The sushi rolls where fresh and made to order. The fish entrees are good, salmon, scallops all approx. market price.The outside seating is always desirable but be careful you don't end up on the vertical slant. You will find yourself adjusting the table all night. I feel the inside interior could use an update so I have always requested outside seating. I enjoy their sushi,so I usually go back.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Boca Raton, Florida
“Good food, limited menu”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

First let me say I don't get paid to review or even tell the place I am reviewing. I am a top reviewer for Tripadvisor but get no perks from this. I enjoy being honest and understand this is MY opinion.
That being said, I went with my family this past weekend. They seemed to be WAY understaffed and the hostess was running around like achicken without a head. There were many tables with dirty dishes on them and everyone looked rushed and uninviting. Delray has events all the time, why not be prepared with proper staffing? My daughter is vegan and there was litterally nothing on the menu for her or very little. My son is picky but was very happy to hear they had chicken fingers although it is not on the menu. My husband and I both eat everything but were looking forward to some good sushi. The menu was so limited that I wound up ordering the fish and chips, which was very good but not what we came there for "sushi". How about a tuna roll, or tuna tar tar...when advertising your establishment as a sushi bar, the menu should include all the favorites of most sushi bars, right? They made my daughter a cucumber roll that consisted of 4 slices of cucumber on a big plate with nothing else...about 10 calories. She was staving after eating the dish. We had to ask for rice just for her to feel that she ate something. My husband said his meal was good but can't remember what it was. So, there you have it...it's good. I was hoping for something more but it served the purpose and was average to good.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Loveagoodmeal
Palm Beach
“What a Disappointment!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

My family has been going to City Oyster for years, hosting out of town guests and even holding our company holiday parties there as well as it being one of our regular go to dinner spots. Last night we went for my birthday dinner at my request and it was disappointing from the start. We waited for close to ten minutes for one of the servers that walked past us several times to get our drink order. So long in fact that my husband asked if I wanted to leave! The waiter appeared just in time, brought our drinks then had to leave again to "get the specials" which he mumbled to us and in this particular restaurant is was impossible to hear because the noise level is just LOUD. After ordering we waited 15 minutes or more for a bowl of soup and a salad, Then the dishes were left in front of us LONG after we were done while we waited for our dinners and watched servers and bus boys all around us. Finally, about 40 minutes into this, our meal arrives. I had the 10oz. steak and asked for it Medium Well. It arrived extremely Well Done, almost to the point of charred but I did not complain because I was making every effort to enjoy this BIRTHDAY MEAL. It was edible and I was happy to have food. After we had finished, the waiter, who had just picked up dirty plates from the table next to us, came over and picked up the dirty plates from our table at the same time. I told him I wanted to take my food home and he proceeded to PICK UP MY PLATE OF FOOD AND SET IT DIRECTLY ON TOP OF THE DIRTY DISHES!!! When he brought the take out container over I told him that I no longer wanted it and why. He stated that "it hadn't touched any of the other food so it was fine"!!! I disagreed and he asked if we wanted to see a manager - of course! So ten minutes later the "manager" came over, we explained the problem and he said oh, sorry, do you want dessert? ?? Really? No I wanted my half of the dinner that I didn't eat! Well that will take at least an hour to prepare - Really? I then told the manager that we were trying really hard to have a nice dinner because it was my birthday and I was very disappointed about just about everything at this point. So he offered to PUT A CANDLE on a dessert in honor of my birthday !! Really? A candle is going to make up for the $35 dinner that was over cooked and I only got to eat half of?? My husband handed him the credit card and told him we would not be back. The manager returned the bill and stated that he had taken HALF the cost of my meal off the bill. Now I have to wonder, was it worth it to charge us the additional $17 to prove a point and yet loose the hundreds of dollars that we typically spend in a year at their restaurant? Not to mention all the people that won't go there based on my experience? I was not looking for a free meal when I went out - I choose that restaurant based on the food but I won't choose it again because of the service and lack of concern by the management to not only ensure that their customers food is good but the experience as well.

• Visited January 2013
Atlanta
“They've slipped into apathy and are falling fast”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

This review is coming from a frequent diner of fine restaurants all over Florida, NYC, Chicago, Atlanta, you get the picture. We constantly try to become part of the atmosphere and get to know the owners of all of our favorite establishments. We are NOT those obnoxious, demanding, rude patrons who are entitled to everything. We believe that if we are having fun along with the employees/staff of an establishment, we all win with a better experience. We ALWAYS call all those we come I contact with by name, ALWAYS. THESE GUYS At City Oyster DON'T GET IT, PERIOD. It started when the hostess told me "I can't ask people to getup and leave just because YOU want an outside table". This is after I was very clear with a calm "if at all possible". She then proceeded to save a table especially for my wife and I. A table that put a brick pillar between us, at a 10 degree downhill slant so even the glasses were precariously perched, in the entrance walkway where people had to bump into me to enter the restaurant. So the game was to see how much we would put up with. Unfortunately, a long time patron and frequent diner, we hold many business gatherings and dinners in Delray restaurants. So we verywellknew our. Options and went elsewhere immediately. When I tried to explain to Todd the manager, the four or five misses that his staff executed, instead of asking questions or hearing me, trying to solve the root cause and terrible culture problems evident from the waiter to the hostess to the asst mgr, here is what he kept repeating...... "So how can I make this right?" He had no interest in understanding the real problem. Todd, here is your answer..... Culture usually reflects that at the top. Change yours, or find another line of work. The damage your people are doing to patrons is not repairable, not in my case anyway. Not when we can get blown away with friendly service at several restaurants within a stone's throw of your staff's obviously unhappy existence.

• Visited January 2013