“Always a Lovely Escape from Home”
Review of Wright by the Sea

Wright by the Sea
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Delray Beach
A TripAdvisor Member
“Always a Lovely Escape from Home”
Reviewed October 2, 2005

My business associates and I stay at Wright By The Sea whenever we're in South Florida. Over the past 3 years we've been there about a dozen times and it has always been consistantly great. The grounds are always impeccable, and the rooms are furnished with that Old Florida charm. The staff is warm, entertaining, and always accomodating. Some days there's nobody else around and the pool is yours. Other times there are families on vacation. We love the community BBQ area - it's great for those spontaneous parties. The grill is large enough to accomodate lots of dinners and we bring our drinks down while we cook. We've met people from all over the world there - a very upscale clientele. The beach is endless for those all-day walking meditations. What feels like an acre of lawn offers plenty of space to park your lounge chair away from others and curl up with a book. There are also many private tents on the beach offering shade from the sun and wind. We'll keep returning because the staff treats us like family now.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Reviewed August 10, 2005

My wife an I are checking out of Wright by the Sea tomorrow morning after a wonderful two-week stay. As almost all other reviewers on this site have attested, this is a charming place in a fabulous location with a very, very accomodating and friendly staff. A wide expanse of beach, perfect for walking, is only steps away. Views of the ocean are offered from the shared balcony of every unit. Downtown Delary Beach is a short drive away and offers many good restaurant options, and there is a large grocery store, drug store, chain eateries, video, liquor, and small department store very nearby. In sum, we were extremely happy with our stay and will be back. Thanks to all those who wrote the reviews that led us to WBTS and thanks to Jack, Laguardia, Tammy, Patty, and all the staff for being such terrific hosts. We hope to see you again before too long a time.

Stayed August 2005
Reviewed July 2, 2005

After reading all the glowing reviews about Wright by the Sea I decided to book a 5 night stay for my family at the hotel the last week of June 2005. What a total disappointment. Our stay was not at all what I thought it would be.

We checked in on a Sunday afternoon and apparently there had been a wedding there that weekend, but we were told by the office manager that most of the people would be gone by Sunday. However the place was packed with families and kids on Sunday which appeared to look like a family reunion. We were looking for just a little quiet, relaxing get-away but instead found a hotel that was filled with people running around all over the place. It felt like a day camp instead of a hotel. If we ever had any intention of using the pool it would have been impossible as it was filled with bunches of loud kids and their foam "noodle" toys. Which by the way they loved to smack on the top of the water to see just how loud it would be. The lovely grass courtyard by the entrance to the ocean was taken up by families playing Frisbee, the basketball court was always being used by the kids shooting hoops, the shuffle board court was in play at all times with kids, and of course the running around on the "catwalk" above our heads by the kids was just an added extra. Near the ocean front there is a large Tiki Hut with a barbeque grill next to it that had 20 or so people using it on Sunday night. We could have done without the loud music playing in the Tiki Hut too. These facilities would have been all but impossible for any other guest to use as it was taken up by a large party of people. If all this activity was spread out over a large area it would have been tolerable, but the hotel is shaped in a courtyard arrangement so that all activity takes place outside your window to your room. In order to sit outside of your "apartment" or room on the chairs that are provided for you, you face all of this activity and loud noise. All of this activity gave us the feeling that we were at a "party" that we were not invited to. When you are paying for a hotel room you should not feel like you are an outsider looking in. Monday was a repeat performance of Sunday. Needless to say we cut our stay short and checked out as soon as the office opened on Tuesday morning.

The only positive thing is that the hotel grounds are quite nice with lots of green grass and palm trees. The entrance to the ocean is very pretty with a nice walkway to the beach. The grounds are well taken care of. We had a one bedroom unit that appeared to have fairly new furnishing in the living room area, but the bedroom furniture was in need of an updating. There was paint peeling off the 70s era dresser and the mirror as well as a broken drawer in the dresser. In order to change the speed of the ceiling fan in the bedroom we had to climb on a chair to pull the too short chain as it did not work properly. I did ask the management about this, but was told that is how it is supposed to work. OK....guess if they say so. The kitchen is our room (120) was extremely tiny, but it is adequate for preparing quick meals. It was well stocked with dishes and utensils.

Just be warned that apparently there are many times when this hotel is filled to the brim with families having a reunion, party or some sort of get-together. I would suggest checking with the management before reserving a room if you are looking for a quite place. Although in our case I did check with management before we checked-in and they said that most of the wedding party was leaving. Well, guess they decided to stay over. So much for asking before you check-in, guess that is not fool-proof.

This was not the type of hotel stay that I had envisioned for my family consisting of two adults and one teenager. If you are looking for a relaxing, peaceful hotel, this may not be the one you are looking for. If I had been told ahead of time that the hotel was going to be filled with all this activity, I would have most certainly chosen to stay at an alternate location and not at Wright by the Sea. And you may want to also.

Stayed June 2005
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 19, 2005

Just returned from 3 days at Wright by the Sea. My wife and I loved this place. It is very nice and beautiful; just the perfect place to relax. This was our first time there and we are coming back in August. We have a four-month-old baby and he enjoyed his first time in the beach. The pool was gorgeous and warm. The room was so clean with a full kitchen and new appliances. What an extraordinary experience! I highly recommend this place - go and experience for yourself! Thanks to Wright's personnel for making our staying there very enjoyable!

• Stayed June 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 2, 2005

I've been working recently in southeast Florida & actually found this hotel on my company webtravel page. Couldn't believe it after staying there a week that it was actually authorized by my company. Excellent and very friendly staff. Rooms are very spacious with a seperate living room and bedroom and a full kitchen with dishwasher, full fridge and stove. The next to best thing is a lot of my work is done on my laptop gathering customer data for installs and then getting it out to the techs. You can't get any better than sitting outside your room watching and listening to the ocean and getting your work done by wireless connection. Even my boss made a comment after several weeks that I was looking so much more relaxed. Thing is my overtime hours hadn't been cut, just the environment had changed. And believe me to an extremely beautiful one. There's a grill area out back if you want to have friends over and grill outside, beautiful kept grounds. I've been traveling out of town every week for work for the last year and 1/2 and this tops all the hotels I've stayed at. And being a female, I try not to stay at dumps. Private beach for late night walks, sea air. If your traveling for business or pleasure you definitely need to check out wright by the sea. I'll be back after my schedule calms down for vacation, I know my mom would love it. Oh, and being as I travel so much I usually carry my own pillow, you know how some hotel beds and pillows can be. Wright by the Sea has the most comfortable beds and pillows. After the first week I quit carrying my pillow. I have never slept so good. And the rooms are very soundproof so if someone has a group or tv turned up next door you don't hear it. Very beautiful and relaxing accomodations.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
Boynton Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 30, 2005

We just returned from nearly two weeks at this lovely place. Wright is on the beach on the ocean side of A1A (most hotels are across the busy street, requiring you walk across to have beach access). It is also set back behind a circular driveway, and the apartments are well-soundproofed, so you have peace and quiet all the time. Units are spotlessly clean and bright, with sleeping room, living/dining room, and fully-equipped kitchenette. Patios have lovely views of the grounds and ocean. We were amazed at the grounds, which would put to shame many so called
"resorts." There are grass areas, pool, bbq area, tiki hut, view deck, and a number of shady areas. The staff are very helpful and make us feel like were in a home away from home. What a delightful place. We will return.

• Stayed May 2005
8 Thank xkenx
Reviewed May 29, 2005

Beautiful palm trees, a lovely staff and a clean and adorable location - what more could you ask for? We found this to be a family place where kids were running around having fun, families were gathered for barbeque and fun and lots of laughter all around. We loved the kitchen in the room, the covered chairs on the beach and the truly lovely staff. Check it out for a fun beach getaway. You can't go wrong!

• Stayed May 2005
Delray Sands Resort on Highland Beach
Colony Hotel and Cabana Club
Colony Hotel and Cabana Club
#2 of 15 in Delray Beach

Been to Wright by the Sea? Share your experiences!