“Hidden Treasure”

Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Delray Beach
East TN
“Hidden Treasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2009

A blind pick from the internet resulted in a highlight of our trip to South Florida. The Sundy House was a delightful variation from the standard motel/hotel vacation quarters. The unique grounds were relaxing and enjoyable. Our room was neat,clean, spacious and private. The staff made us feel welcome as soon as we exited our vehicle and were very gracious and helpful throughout our two day stay. We enjoyed the convenience of the location which was easy walking distance to downtown Delray Beach. The dining atmosphere was great and the food was outstanding. We will always have fond memories of our visit to Sundy House. We hope to visit again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Medford, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2009

The grounds of this hotel is absolutely beautiful, and I have never really seen anything like it. It is like walking into a well manicured tropical oasis. I stayed here with much of my fiancee's family. We probably took up 6 rooms. Some rooms were extremely nice, and some rooms look like they had been decorated by kids. Service was okay. The front desk people were nice, but the restaurant and valet staff were rude and disinterested. The restaurant gave absolutely no preference to guests. The pool was very cool and beautiful, but it's difficult to swim when dozens of restaurant patrons and wedding parties were coming through. As for security, there was none. One of the rooms we booked was broken into and spray-painted with obscene pictures. It's a nice place to stay, but the management and staff definitely focus more on it's restaurant and wedding business more than the hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank mymanren
SundyHouse, Manager at Sundy House, responded to this review, March 24, 2009
Good day -

Thank you so much for your comments and for your recent visit to the Sundy House.

First please let me thank you for your business. It is truly our ambition at the Sundy House to make every guests stay as pleasurable and memorable as possible, and to create enjoyable, lasting memories.

I would like to extend my apologies for the 'grafitti' that you found in your room. I assure you that the room was certainly not broken into at any time, but admittedly our housekeeping team apparently had overlooked some 'drawings' made in lipstick behind the curtains from the previous guests, which were drawn back and gone unnoticed. Procedures have been reviewed to prevent similar issues from occurring in the future.

Service standards have also been reviewed with regards to our valet service in order that they always promote a positive, helpful and professional demeanor as the first and last contact of each and every one of our guests.

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed the beautiful gardens and Tropical Oasis at the hotel. It truly is one of a kind.

Thank you again for your patronage and we hope to welcome you back to the Sundy House again in the future.
florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2008

This was my first time staying at The Sundy House, although I live in the area and have been there before. This place is absolutly amazingly beautiful! Very romantic and great for a getaway. Although it is not cheap, the food is very good. They offered a summer special dinner which included salad, entree, dessert and a glass of wine for around 40.00 per person. Believe me, the atmosphere is well worth it. The gardens are filled with winding pathways, tall trees, bridges, ponds with huge fish and turtles around every turn, waterfalls, streams, flowers, huge bamboo plants, numerous gazeboes, a big pool surrounded by rocks with a waterfall and fish that swim with you. They are fish of about 3 different sizes. they come up to you to check you out but thats all. I couldnt think of anywhere prettier to have a wedding. The rooms are very cute and decorated very nice, each unique and different. The honeymoon cottage was so awesome! We had a 1 bedroom townhouse type room. Suite #2. It was very key west style. It had a full kitchen and dining room. The bed was suspended from the ceiling. The sheets and comforter was very comfortable. Every attention to detail was thought of, including clouds painted on the ceiling of the bathroom and bedroom. Beautiful hand painted wood floors. There was a wedding going on one night we were there so we hung out in the gardens, away from the wedding and listened to the music. I posted lots of pictures that probably dont do it justice, but I am in love with this place. If you like nature, plants, tropical setting, winding pathways with water ponds around every turn, this is the place for you. The walls of the restaurant open up so almost every table feels like you are in the garden. They also have a few tables out in the garden which is really secluded from the main section. We requested a special table which they agreed to give us only after my fiance told them he had brought me there to propose to me, which he did. I guess they usually dont take table requests. The hotel did an awesome job of setting the room up with roses and rose pedals my fiance brought them the day before to decorate the room with. We met with the wedding planner and she was very nice and spent time answering our questions. This is one of those place you dont see often, very unique, very romantic, very rare. I always tell people about this place, you have to see it to believe it.

• Liked — gardens
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Somewhere
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2008

My daughter and I went on Spring Break this year and for the first time really were able to get away from it all. It was a fantasy come true. The Sundy House is like staying at a tropical jungle resort with a first class restaurant and service. It is small and quaint with just 11 rooms, so it doesn't feel like a typical "hotel" stay. More like an intimate Inn atmosphere. The room we had was high design, with fabulous art and custom wall and floor paintings. Very different and classy! The pools, stream and water falls added to the ambience, and were pleasant to hear during the evenings. It was only a few blocks away to the pristine Delray Beach where we took in some sun and alot of walking, and it was fun driving up the coast looking at the mansions along the road. We were 15 minutes away from the Boca Raton Museum and were able to see the Dega and Tiffany exhibits. There is so much to do and see in the area! Downtown Delray was full of stores, galleries and museums to visit as well. There is not one negative thing I can say about this stay. I think the Sundy House is one of the best kept secrets in South Florida!

• Liked — High design and comfortable bed and furniture-
  • Disliked — Not a thing!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2008

I contacted Sundy House after a really bad 1 night stay at the Marriott Delray Beach. The receptionist was gracious and even offered a discount for choosing their property...GREAT START.
We arrived and were escorted through the fantastically lush gardens with tropical birds ala cage and streams and bridges...cool way to introduce overnight guests to this friendly comfortable property.
Our room was large, kitschy and comfortable...would be great for an extended stay as it featured, living, dining, bedroom and bath...the balcony overlooked a pool and the restaurant. We didn't get a chance to dine there but we hear the food was fab....as it was difficult to get a dining reservation...plus what drifted up to our place smelled yum.
My only critique...this place is rife with special events, i.e. weddings...we came home late one evenng to find one in full swing, band...d.j. and all outside our room. It ended promptly at 10pm but was a cacophony until then. If booking you might want to ask if any weddings are going on during your stay.
Otherwise high marks for overall beauty, hospitality and comfort.
I recommend and will return.

• Liked — Location, Comfort, Beauty
  • Disliked — Group Bookings like Weddings can disrupt peace and beauty.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank InTheBizMyself
Miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2008

Had the opportunity to take my husband as a surprise for our 21st wedding anniversary.
What a wonderful experience, the minute you step in the meticulously kept gardens you can feel the charm and enjoy the beauty of this little piece of heaven.
The staff was wonderful, on reception, at the bar, and in the restaurant, where the food was exquisite, as well as the service.
The room tastefully decorated with lovely details, clean and comfortable.
In summary, can't wait to go back in summer, to enjoy all that the Sundy House has to offer

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ratas
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2007

I had the pleasure of staying at the Sundy House in Delray Beach, Fl for a few days over the 4th of July Holiday. The place is absolutely gorgeous and the staff and managers were nothing but pleasant and accommodating. I met with the Food and Beverage Manager and he was such a delight to talk to (he is from Rome Italy). The rest of the staff, from Front Desk to Restaurant were wonderful, We also met Har, he takes care of the garden and pool and he was a wealth of knowledge, The pool has fish and fresh water and it was different but cool. This is a perfect get away weekend and I would recommend this place to anyone, Oh and by the way, they have accommodations for weddings and I will consider the Sundy House for my wedding in 2009. We stayed in room # 1 and it is a 2 bedroom, 2 bath and 2 story town house with a full kitchen, dining, living room and washer and dryer. It is pefect for a family of 5-7 people. I look forward to going back to the Sundy House next year.

Stayed July 2007