“Absolute perfection! Will come again for special occasions!!”
Review of Sundy House

Sundy House
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Delray Beach
Miami, FL
“Absolute perfection! Will come again for special occasions!!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This review is for the brunch. I did see the rooms for future reference, but have yet to stay.
I went to Sundy House this past Sunday for brunch with my fiancé and his mom. It was THE best brunch I have ever gone to. Absolutely everything was amazing, from the service, to the atmosphere, to the food and drinks. I just can't say enough good things about it, and have told all my family and friends.
The buffet, I'm told, changes weekly. I was a huge fan of the seafood table which had giant crab legs (split 'easy-man's' way), shrimp cocktail, and smoked salmon. It was more like a smoked salmon bar w/ sauces, capers, red onions, fresh tomato... I went to the buffet 5 times during brunch and got the salmon 4 times. It was amazing!!
There was a cute make-your-own Bloody Mary table. I'm not a fan, but I loved the concept :) We were served bottomless mimosas and champagne at the table. Every time I came back to the table, my napkin was folded, and mimosa topped off.
Back to the buffet... There was French toast, which I didn't have, and Belgain waffles which were good. Could have been a little more crispy for my taste. Other hot dishes included chicken, mahi, breakfast potatoes, an omelette station, eggs benedict (which I had- it was good, but could have used a sauce - it could have been there and I missed it??? It's quite possible that I did as I was having buffet ADD- so many yummy things to look at and consider).
There was a salad table, which looked amazing, but I had other priorities. I don't know why the bagels were there. I saw a few people taking them SMH Buffet Rookies!! lol
The dessert table was amazing too (plate #5) I had chocolate covered strawberries, bread pudding, fresh whipped cream with berries, and a little square of carrot cake (which was the only dessert that was just ok. Was a little dry).
The brunch was about $60/pp Which I think is reasonable for what you get!!
After brunch, we were shown around the garden. There were beautiful pools with fish and turtles, and a cute gazebo. We also saw 3 of the cottages/townhouse rooms as the property was so gorgeous that I would consider staying, or having family stay there in the future.
Bottom line - it is a little pricy, but you get what you pay for. I will be back, but will likely reserve for special occasions.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
SundyHouseDB, Manager at Sundy House, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review! We are thrilled that you enjoyed our Sunday brunch and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Visited Sundy House for Sunday brunch based off a friend's recommendation. We weren't expecting much, but once we got there, we realized it was more than just a meal. The grounds were beautiful and it transported you to this romantic jungle environment. We were able to take walks in between our plates, and the unlimited flow of champagne was icing on the cake. The food was delicious and the seafood was fresh. The make-your-own Bloody Mary bar was a creative touch.

The main thing to note was the service. Our waiter David was extremely helpful and attentive. He went out of his way to help us document our experience with a camera and constantly topped off our drinks without asking. We've never had a friendlier waiter! This is the first review I've ever written, because I felt David deserved a spotlight for his impeccable service. It made the meal that much better.

I would highly recommend this restaurant/experience for anyone visiting Delray.

Lake Worth, Florida
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I have never gone to the extent to write a negative review before online, but after our treatment tonight by the hostess, I felt almost an obligation to report it. I would have given 5 stars to the restaurant if it weren't for our poor intro. The manager smoothed things over and accommodated us but he also, under his breath, told me that he's had similar complaints about this girl's attitude. Ok, then my thought is, WHY do you keep someone on your staff that is extremely flippant and rude to customers?? If I managed that place or any other, she would NOT have a job anymore.
We had a 7:30 reservation, with an outside table request. We were told on the phone that they don't guarantee outside tables. Understood...as I know they have limited tables outside. But when we first got there she told us we had a choice, "I can seat you outside but you'll have to deal with mosquitos, or I can seat you at a table close to the garden." I didn't answer in 1-2 seconds which was apparently too long for her because she said very flippantly "ok you're making a face, so obviously I'll seat you at the outside table." No warmth or politeness at all. I said "Well before making that decision could we see the inside table?" The whole reason I chose this place (for my birthday, mind you), was because of the beautiful tropical garden settings and the secluded tables. She said "yes, in a moment, just step aside and let me help the next people." Why, I thought? There was another hostess standing next to her...she couldn't show us now...instead of us now taking a back seat to the two parties that came in BEHIND us? Very weird way to handle that. But she did take care of the next two parties, and then our family arrived to join us.

As we were waiting off to the side per her instruction, she says from the podium...(didn't walk over to us, but loudly said this in front of the other customers), "ok folks we're seating you at an inside table. Sorry that's all we got." Very much in a tone like "deal with it." I was now pretty ticked and had had enough of her rude tone and I just said "EXCUSE me? You said there was a table for us outside when we first got here and now because we were asked to WAIT off to the side, the table is gone?" She actually denied saying there was a table outside in the first place...and that we just have to accept an inside table. "And I'll get the manager and you can talk to HIM."
I was close to turning around and walking out because of her attitude, and because she flat out lied about the availability of the tables outside and the major complaints about mosquitos, but as I mentioned the manager made sure we sat at an outside table. Incidentally there were 3 other empty 4 top tables out there and remained so throughout our dinner.
Not to focus completely on her, I will add that the manager brought us water and menus right away, apologized for our experience, and our waitress was excellent. She was friendly, knew the menu well and was attentive. The food runners were also a pleasure. My meal was incredible, pan-seared snapper with asparagus and other garden fresh veggies. My husband and cousin ordered the quail which they liked but were not overjoyed (but no fault to the chef, it was just too gamey for them. Quail is gamey!) The chicken dish my other cousin had was very tasty and to her satisfaction also. The presentation with the oversized white bowls was impressive and classy.
They brought out a birthday dessert which was delicous- a light chocolate orange mousse.
The setting was almost perfect, although I would have preferred the back garden where there was no road noise...but still the garden was beautiful, well manicured and provided enough privacy.
Overall it was a nice dining experience, but to the manager of Sundy House...get rid of hostesses that are rude to customers. They have no business working in such a nice, elegant romantic place. An unhappy customer can do a lot more to a reputation than a happy one sometimes.

3 Thank drmartz
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Our party of four arrived at 10:25am and we were asked to wait as they were not ready. No problem. Once our name was called at 10:35am we were told that we had 2 hours to eat and then we would have to vacate our table. I let them know in no certain terms that I thought they were rude instead of being welcoming. In fact, had we been there alone we would have walked, but we were with friends.

Let me say this, the buffet food is ok and the atmosphere outside is fine. The mimosas were
far from good. We did not eat anything close to the $58 per person. I was also disappointed that a 20% gratuity was added to the bill considering it was a buffet and all the waitress delivered was drinks. To add insult to injury, a $5 valet fee was charged by the restaurant.
My advice is find a place where they value your business.

3 Thank onesweetgem
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Over on east coast for business and decided to stay in Delray Beach. Sundy House location is not the best as you're really at the far end away from the beach. However, short walk to Atlantic Ave and many restaurants. They were doing a robust dinner business when I was there ( although I had appointment out and did not get to try )and the bar scene was good with live music and 2 for 1 happy hour that lasts for four hours. Room was pretty clean although I was disappointed they've not come into modern times with bedding. They still use polyester bed spread with matching pillows and it was pretty worn and just felt yucky. The grounds are very interesting to take a stroll through and they even offer guided tours. Best part of property.
Breakfast was basic continental but adequate. So, all and all, cannot rate higher than average.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank TommyLongboat
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Not your typical hotel - each room unique; grounds are even more unique -consists of tropical plants, flowers. fruit trees, gazebos and ponds/waterfalls with fish and turtles. Even the swimming pools have fish in them. We reserved a 2 bedroom suite and were pleasantly surprised when we entered and found we had a 2 bedroom duplex with full kitchen, dining room, living room as well as 2 bathrooms. Patio off dining room and terrace off master bedroom that overlooked gardens. Woke up each morning to beautiful views of tropical trees. Location is ideal - 1 1/2 blocks off Atlantic Avenue and 1 mile to beach. Staff was wonderful and restaurant was very good for dinner. Only disappointment was the continental breakfast, which we wound up forgoing for breakfast in town at the Green Owl. No fitness center or kids activities, However, the 5 yr old and 2 yr old in our group loved exploring the gardens, discovering new flowers, finding turtles, and leading us through the gardens. Certainly a unique and fun experience for children.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Morehead City, North Carolina
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We went for a wedding on April 6th and stayed April 5 and 6. The hospitality as we checked in was superb, but the first thing we really noticed were the grounds. They were unusually lush and tropical with coral stone walkways accenting our path. Later, we discovered they have their own horticuculturalist for the grounds. The food was superb and the setting a beauty, The bathroom in our room, once the rooms were the farm's stable, we understood, were unusually spacious and well appointed. We particularly enjoyed the heated fresh water swimming pool and the small pool where one could receive a "Japanese pedicure" as the fish nibbled off the calouses of our feet.