“5 Star Setting, Disappointing Food and Service”
Review of Sundy House

Sundy House
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Delray Beach
Jupiter, Florida
“5 Star Setting, Disappointing Food and Service”
Reviewed April 29, 2012

The Sundy House can't be beat when it comes to a romantic setting. That is why so many weddings are held there. In fact, one was being held there but we were accommodated with a nice table in a beautiful room with a fireplace and stained glass windows. The outside gardens are beautiful and the porches with rocking chairs are the perfect setting for a glass of wine. However, our appetizers and entrees were disappointing. Maybe the kitchen staff was so busy with the big wedding that they didn't have time to attend to the orders of the regular customers but we waited thirty minutes after our appetizers were taken away before our entrees were served. When my husband's lamb was presented he could see it was raw, not rare so he had to send it back. Even then he said it was flavorless and could not compare to the lamb he had recently at the Kei Grill and Alexander's. My half portion of pasta with mushroom, basil cream sauce was very good. Of the three small plates we sampled (barbecue chicken on pita, potato and bacon croquettes and watermelon and feta bruschetta ) the only one that really was memorable was the bruschetta. I have had lunch at Sundy and had a better experience but I won't return for dinner, maybe for a romantic glass of wine in the romantic bar and then move on.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jupiterbeachers

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Melrose, MA
Reviewed April 21, 2012

. I cant say enough about the unday bunch. There is such a varity of fresh seafood (oysters, Crab Leg, huge shrimp) the carving station had Turkey, Lamb Prime rib and Beef tenderloin. The serivice was on parr. Unlimited champagne, bloody Marys' and vodka drinks (and they dont skimp) We went on Easter sunday its a little pricy but well worth the cost,
The grounds are lovely it was a perfect setting for a perfect day!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 2, 2012

We arrived after hours of traveling to a very rude and unwelcoming reception. For $350 a night I would like to feel welcomed and at least attended to. We waited in 8 minutes of awkward silence in a small office while she talked on the phone. She did not offer details of the property, assistance with luggage or guide us to our room to point out possible sights. Her name was Jaclyn- if you see her upon arrival- don't let her spoil an otherwise nice B&B. Wished we would have gotten the intimate boutique hotel experience for the price- next time, we'll just find a Westin.

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank marylacey216
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Sundy House - it's not just for wedding and receptions! While it's obvious why this secluded, lush secret just off bustling Atlantic in Delray Beach is a favorite destination for those to tie the knot, it's also a relaxing, impressive retreat.
My family needed a two bedroom two bath situation and we were booked in a two-story townhome with a jungle theme. To say we were floored from the moment we walked in would be an understatement! Local family all came by to visit and see this place and one even blurted out "I could LIVE here!"
We will be back!

Room Tip: We've only been this one time and our townhouse was toward the rear of the property. We thought...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Estero, FL
Reviewed February 29, 2012

You will feel like you have entered another world when you step into the gardens at Sundy House. The restaurant was nice and eating in a private spot in the garden was fantastic. The rooms, however, leave a lot to be desired. Tired furniture and weird decor. Bed was very comfortable. Location was perfect for us, just a couple blocks from the tennis center. I got a great deal via an online travel site which prompted me to choose this place and if I could get another good deal, I would stay here again just to enjoy the atmosphere outside of my room.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank jilln5000
Jupiter
Reviewed February 24, 2012

We have stayed here and found it bery clean, very romantic, it is an awesome hide a way, a short distance from Atlantic Avenue and many great bars and restuarantes there.

The Sudy House is surrounded by an amzining garden with great variety and rare plants. Expect there to be leaf litter on the paths, this isnt going to be manicured like a Disney trip, this is a real working botannical garden.

The food served is above average, breakfast is very good. We will return.

The pool and it's deck are a great place to be lazy and wnjoy the sun.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TeachersFromSoFla
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviewed February 11, 2012

The quality and service of the Sundy House has deteriorated based on our previous stays. Grounds are in need of maintenance (fallen down gazebos, trash, sheets, cleaning products & rags left in the walkways). Front desk staff has a "Why are you bothering me?" attitude. My husband & I stayed in guest room 9 which was spotless but the furniture had water stains, the dresser drawers would not open, and the windows were broken so they would not lock or open. The walls between the rooms are very thin and we could hear EVERYTHING going on in the next room. I tried to contact the front desk via phone to request a quieter room and no one answered the phone. I walked over to the front desk and no one was there so I called the front desk and left a voice mail to advise we were leaving due to the noise level and requested a call back ASAP which came 3 days later. The Sundy staff person who contacted me said other guests had the same compliant and the noise I was hearing was the bamboo trees hitting the building. How’s that for service? I guess bamboo trees sound like bedroom noises. Who knew?

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple