“Horrified!”
Review of Sundy House

Sundy House
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Delray Beach
Reviewed December 6, 2011

I got married here Feb. 20, 2010 Lets just say I get upset everytime I think of my wedding day. To start out the Sundy House was having a luncheon the day of my wedding and I was told we would have plenty of time to set up for my special day. Not even close 1 hour before i was to walk down the asile they let my family & friends into the room to set up the center pieces and decorations. Not to mention my maid of honor was told to get there at 11 and she would be able to go in and start setting up. Then they said 12 and so on. I arrived at 12 and the wedding planner said no woories we will let them in the room no later than 1pm to set up. Im in my hotel room being care free thinking everything was going great. But it surely wasnt. My mom had to very kindly ask the luncheon party who was there for hours after lunch just talking. To please leave because her daughter was getting married in an hour and they needed to set up. Not one employee asked them to leave. My mom was busing tables! My sister got to the room to get ready the time i was supposed to be walking down the asile. We were 45 minutes late. The sun went down quick so my pictures that i wanted did not come out. :(

Mind you the lawn guy is WATERING the grass where im walking down the asile.. Hello im wearing a white! Also i had asked the wedding planner to please see the carpet that would be down the asile i would be walking on. Let me tell you she told me oh dont you worry it, it will blend with the grass it is beautiful! Holy cow i almost had a heart attack walking down the asile when i saw the carpet. It was the bumpiest dirty carpet i was appalled! And that my mom almost hurt her self because she tripped on the carpet infront of all my guests luckily someone caught her.

So then the wedding was over we spent the night in the beautiful room. And the next morning we were off to the famous sundy house brunch. Which we told our wedding planner that this was one reason we wanted to get married here to have the brunch the next morning. We went to the lobby for our reservations and the receptionist said you are not on here for brunch. I said well we just got married here last night we had reservations for brunch today! She said no im sorry please have a seat and i will see what i can do. 1 hour later waiting in the lobby we ended up leaving. Luckily i grew up in town because i knew where to go have brunch.

To this day i cringe at how mad i get thinking about the expierence i had at the Sundy House. People see my wedding pictures and say oh my i want to get married there. I tell them my expierence and they are appalled. I feel very used. I would never wish this expierence on anyone. Just because i was a layed back bride i was surely taken advantage of.

I am just now coming out with this because im not the kind of person to make things a big deal. But i finally have to get this off my chest and move on.

• Stayed: February 2011
16  Thank KatyMuzic
There are newer reviews for Sundy House

Reviewed November 20, 2011

This is a nice setting in Delray with scenic grounds. The place is a little tired and it's maybe time for a spruce up but on the whole ok. We had the Sunday Brunch which is extensive and generally good quality but I think a little expensive if you're not drinking at over $60 with service added on whether you liked it or not.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank manustu
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Tropical feel. Well kept and always had maintanence being done. Restaurant was nice and food was pricey but delicious. Nice experience!

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I heard about the quaint treasure Sundy house and decided to treat my fiance to a romantic weekend for his birthday. I was very excited to swim in a natural pool with live fish!
We arrived a bit early an after some confusion w/the valet which is included, they didn't understand we were guests and attempted to charge us. We had a problem with our reservation thru orbit, so the hotel weren't expecting us, luckily they had 2 rooms available and the desk attendant was very patient while I decided which of the lovely rooms to choose, we decided on room 10 which is upstairs and has a kitchenette. The only downside is the street behind the hotel is under heavy construction and not much to look at. I was really disappointed to find out that the pool (our main reason for choosing Sundy House) was closed do to maintainence for our entire stay! The staff gave us their award winning Sunday brunch to make up for this.
The staff was kind and helpful for the most part and rooms impeccably tidy. We were surprised to come back to our room one day and find two employees fixing our remote. I wish we'd been able to take advantage of the garden tour, we had a hard time picking out the rare flowers and plants that were advertised on our own.
The Delray area was very charming and kitchy, tho a bit pretentious. There are several bars/pubs and Restaurants in the area and they're on the expensive side. Try driving or walking down Ocean Drive there are many mansions to oogle at! All in all our stay was great and I would love to visit again and explore another room and the pool!

Thank you!

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We had seen a brief segment on Sundy House on the travel channel and were intrigued by the fresh water swimming pool with fish. Before we arrived I wondered if we really could swim with the fish--YES you can and it is fun! The hotel is set in a beautiful garden that was lush with fruit and flowers when we were there in July. There were ripe star fruit, bananas and mangos everywhere! We missed the garden tour they offer but would really make an effort to catch it next time. Don't miss the small wading pool where the little fish will give you a pedicure! My daughter said, "I just love a fishy pedicure!" We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite that was nicely themed and furnished. The lower living area had a dining area, a living area with large screen tv, and a full kitchen with a breakfast bar. Upstairs were 2 bedrooms and baths with very nice linens, robes and toiletries. The beds were really comfortable and we slept so well in our secret garden. The continental breakfast offered daily was really a nice spread with different breads, bagels, fruit, cereals, eggs and bacon. Our room had an umbrella which would have been very useful had we remembered to take it with us the stormy afternoon we walked Atlantic Avenue. We were less than a block away from Atlantic Avenue where there were MANY nice restaurants and shops. The beach was about a mile from the hotel and would have been walkable, but they also offer shuttle. If you stay in the 2 bedroom suite, we left behind our beach umbrella because we couldn't take it on the plane..enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2011

my husband and i completely fell in love with the sundy house when we visited. it offers a beautiful tropical garden setting and a freshwater pool with fish in it. there are mango and banana trees and sometimes two macaws wandering around. we ate a "trial meal" to see how we liked it, and wound up getting married here in may and staying in one of the rooms. the decor in the rooms varies a lot, so whether you like the room you're given may depend on your taste (we had a room with a suspended bed, sort of a seaside theme - it was interesting!) the food is good, the service is good. HOWEVER, if you are planning to stay over the weekend be warned that this is an extraordinarily popular venue for weddings and events - we visited multiple weekends during the wedding planning process and there was ALWAYS a wedding or another event going on. they do end fairly early (10 or 11pm) and they tend to be smaller weddings but just be prepared that it may not be the tranquil, isolated paradise on a friday or saturday night that you might be hoping for.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank juicebox1234
Reviewed July 13, 2011

My husband and I just stayed here for a 2 day get away. The room we had was nice, although we had issues with the A/C. The gardens are amazing as is the pool. It is fresh water and there are fish in it that swim as you do. The breakfast was brought to our room each morning and was yummy and plentiful.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple