“good breakfast”

The Original Pancake House
Ranked #197 of 427 Restaurants in Delray Beach
Cuisines: American
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Try this place - you will find pancakes like no other. They are tasty and light. First time I have ate there, and would go back again!

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Some of the best pancakes and omelettes around all very capeably served in pleasant surroundings. Best to share as portions are HUGE

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Being from Portland, and having visited the ORIGINAL Original Pancake House numerous times in my life, my review is really in comparison to that one.

Knowing that the wait can be really long, we emailed a couple of days in advance to find out the best time to visit. We got a response within a couple of hours telling us before 9:30am or after 11:30am on weekends (we specifically asked about Saturdays), would be the shortest wait time. So, we ventured there on Saturday at 11:45am and our wait for two was less than 5 minutes.

I ordered their signature menu item -- the Dutch Baby, while my husband ordered the Mandarin Crepes. The Dutch Baby was served dry. It should have been served with a scoop of whipped butter in the middle, and topped with powdered sugar with lemon wedges and house syrup on the side. This is the way it was meant to be served. The manager (Tommy) walked by and I had a little chat with him about it. He didn't know how it was served at the original location, but I schooled him in a nice and friendly way. He was super friendly, and brought me the necessary accompaniments. What's more ironic is that even the pictures of the Dutch Baby on the menu and on the table show this menu item in its correct fashion, but they just don't serve it the correct way in Delray Beach.

Overall, the menu here is exactly what I expected, but the ambiance wasn't. There was no character at all. Other locations have really cool European plates placed on a ledge that circles the circumference of the entire restaurant. Here, the look is of a typical diner, with food photographs here and there. Really no character at all.

Overall though, if you like the menu at the Original Pancake House, you will like it here as the menu is identical. Oh, and they even have Italian roasted espresso (yes, you crazy east coasters - it's eSpresso, not eXpresso!) -- yum! However, they're charging a hefty $3 for a single shot.

Worth a stop, but check it out during the non-busy hours, and order the Dutch Baby!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I find it interesting why people go to certain places and what they order when they get there. When I go to Steak & Shake, I am going there for a burger and a shake. When I go to Chili's, I am going for the bowl of chili. And, if I am going to the "Original" Pancake House, believe me when I tell you, I am going for pancakes. Now, there are other items on the menu that are all very good, but if it is in the name, that should be the specialty of the house! I have gone to this Original Pancake House for at least 3 decades and it holds many memories for me, but all of those memories have to do with family, breakfast, and pancakes. When I come to Delray Beach it is for a short time only and part of the enjoyment of the trip is a stop at the pancake house. Because it is a "hot spot" in Delray, it always seems to be busy. When they say you have a 20 minute wait, watch the clock and don't be afraid to say something.

Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

We arrived and were told we would have a 20 minute wait. They gave our table away and forgot us and when pressed we were finally seated after and hour and a half. The service was very good and the food was good. But for basic eggs and pancake dishes, we do not recommend.