“Excellent hotel, but be aware of hidden expenses and available discounts”

The Seagate Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Delray Beach
Foxboro, MA
“Excellent hotel, but be aware of hidden expenses and available discounts”
Reviewed July 13, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Seagate Hotel while visiting relatives in Delray Beach, and thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this new hotel

The hotel is a four-story boutique hotel that's two-blocks from the public beach. The lobbly has interesting aquariums on display, and there's a gift shop that's quite nice. There's an upscale lunch/dinner restaurant, and a small cafe -- both are excellent. Room service is offered 24 hours a day.

The onsite pool is small and the pool area can be crowded -- but the hotel has a beach house (right on the beach) that's a short complimentary ride away (either via their SUV or old-style trolley).

The beach house has an extenisve beachfront, with chairs and umbrellas provided. Two restaurants (one casual and one more formal) are excellent. There's also a small pool.

The rooms are deluxe, with exceptional bedding and luxury amenities. As others have stated, the service is superb.

Be aware that you can obtain several discounts by going to the hotel's website: during the summer of 2010, there was a 30% off special offer, and a separate $50 off per night resort credit. The discounts have different requirements, but are definitely worth checking out.

There are hidden charges -- like many hotels, they do charge $10 per day for Internet Access. And of course there are the usual taxes. But they also charge $25 per day as a Resort Fee. I was aware of this before reserving our room, but it could be a surprise for unsuspecting guests. My advice is to call or email the hotel and ask about any fees other than room charges, before reserving.

Finally, the hotel was very accomodating about granting our request for late check-out. By checking out in the afternoon, we were able to fully enjoy another day in Delray.

I think it's worth comparing this hotel to the Marriott Delray Beach, where we have often stayed. The Marriott is a block away -- right across the road from the public beach. The Marriott has a big hotel feel -- a large lobby with a lobby bar with weekend entertainment, meeting/function rooms, two large pool areas. If you want a "big pool" experience, stay at the Marriott. If you want a more luxurious vacation, stay at the Seagate. You'll enjoy your stay at both resorts.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FoxboroDan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Delray Beach
Reviewed July 12, 2010

The Seagate Hotel and Beach Club is truly one of a kind. From all the fantastic amenities (Pool, Ocean Front Restaurants, Retail shops, Spas, etc.) to their friendly staff, my family and I had the most wonderful stay and it was an experience my family will cherish forever. We did not have to travel far since we live the town over, but we wanted to do something different for the 4th of July weekend. The hotel was very crowded but the staff treated us like we were there only guest. They remembered my two children’s names and always gave them a little toy when they passed by. They really make the guests feel welcomed. The Seagate truly is 5 stars and they will go above and beyond to fulfill your every request.
Besides the service being incredible, the facility is top notch. The lobby and restaurants have big, beautiful aquariums filled with all different types of sea life from jellyfish to moray eels. My kids just loved those fish tanks... And so did I :)! When I have family and friends in town there is no other choice then to send them to the Seagate hotel. There is no comparison. To get the true Delray Beach experience with all the luxury, Seagate is the number one choice. Thank you Seagate for a fantastic weekend getaway. We will definitely be back soon.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed July 12, 2010

My wife and I make it a habit of driving up to Delray once a year for an overnight getaway. This year we stayed at the Seagate Hotel for the first time and we could not have wanted a better stay. From the time we pulled up to the time we left the staff was courteous and attentive, even offering to drive us to a restaurant a few miles away where we had brunch...even though we had our own car there. We have stayed at Ritz Carltons and Four Seasons all over the world and can honestly report the Seagate had one of the nicer rooms we have seen. There were a number of simple extra details in the room that we normally do not find in a Ritz, and the room had a balcony that had two lounge chairs and a table with four chairs...with lots of extra room for more of each. I have read the reviews and can't believe anyone could complain about this place, particularly the associated beach club. We were welcomed as soon as we stepped off the shuttle both days there and attendants immediately took us to chairs w/ or w/o umbrellas. Want a drink...they were right there with it. We admit to being a bit underwhelmed by the food in the Atlantic Grill restaurant but might just have caught it on a bad night...but the service was exceptional. I would gladly recommend this to anyone who wants a first-class experience in Delray Beach. This is no Mariott or Hilton.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed July 8, 2010

We stayed at this property for July 4th weekend. The hotel itself is very nice and clean, it is the customer service and attitude that is disturbing. When pulling up we looked or handicap spot, but were told by the valet there were none being made available due to the holiday weekend and all cars of guests must be valeted.
In addition, we were promised a room with a view, but when we checked in the room actually had an awning over both windows to the point that we wer unable to see out of the room to see what the weather was at the time. We asked for a diffferent room, but were told there were none avaiable due to the holiday weekend which may have been true.
We took the trolley to the beach club for the day. Despite the fact that we have two young children they refused to give us more than 4 towels (1 each) even when we explained we would need extra towels to dry them off when they come out of the ocean. The towel attendant was quite rude and unaccomodating. They appeared to be short staffed as the server, while nice, took so long to get my drink that it was melted by the time it got to me. I asked for it to be removed from my bill. was assured it would be, but it wasn't.

The worst experience happened at the affiliated Seagate Beach Club. We were told by the staff the Beach club would be open to hotel guests until 5. HOWEVER, at 4:00 the beach club attendants came over to us and requested the towels they had given us to use back as they had to collect them to send over to the hotel to be laundered for the next day. We explained were told the club was open until; 5:00 and we would have use of the facilities (including the towels) until that time we were told by the attendant that he had to have the towels. He actually stood there until we called our children from the ocean and dried them off. He then collected the towels.
We had to call 3 times to have them ,ake up the sofa bed for our children. We waited over 2 hours for someone to come in just to do that. There was a coffeemaker in the room and when we called the next morning to ask for creamer we were told housekeeping was not in and they could not give it to us although eventually someone from the front desk did bring it up.
When I checked out there was over $75 in charges on the bill that were not supposed to be on there, which they did take off. make sure you check your bill several times.

Some our friends stayed there at the same time and had over $150 in charges they did not make on their bill as well.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
san francisco
Reviewed June 28, 2010

We're writing this note as we complete our stay at the Seagate. Simply said, we're very happy with the property, staff, and service. We stayed for a little more than a week in late June and it was our first say at the Seagate. The resort is in a very good location near both beaches and restaurants, shopping etc. The rooms are spacious, well appointed and well kept. This is a higher end property and provides all of the services that one would expect from a top calliber hotel/resort.

The resort also has a beach club with full access for its guests. The club is beautiful, right on the beach and has a full staff. The club is a short ride in the complimentary hotel car and the staff is always ready to do the extra things that make a big difference.

The restaurants at both the hotel and beach club are also very good and I'd recommend them over many other choices in the area. The spa is also very nice and provided excellent services.

We've been visiting family for many years in the area have stayed in a variety of properties and never been particularly impressed. The Seagate is a great new addition and we'd recommend it without hesitation. In reading prior reviews, there were a few concerns related to service etc, we only experienced top quality service from all staff members and didn't see any kinks from our perspective. We look forward to returning.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank beachkids2
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 22, 2010

We traveled for father's Day weekend. My husband enjoyed the spa,and the dinner on the beach was lovely. This will be another exciting adventure for us again and again. Thank you to the staff for their support on helping me surprise my husband. The accomidations were GREAT!!!!!!!! Extreme thanks to Cecilla, Corey, Raphael, and Joe. Thank you Alexandra & lanard Mccray

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed June 5, 2010

After 2 nights across the street at the residence Inn (see bad trip review), I went to the Marriott and Seagate to see which might entice me to move for the remaining 4 nights to their hotel. Seagate gave me a tremendous bargain along with a room upgrade.

Location is good - walking distance to restaurants.

Rooms - bed and pillows, bath, very clean and comfortable. Very relaxing. Only 2 minor issues. The room was along the road and there is a lot of noise from traffic, but at night it is not much of an issue. I am used to road traffic so it did not bother me as much as it might others. If it might concern you, get a room off the main road or one higher up (I was on the second floor). The other minor issue is that they turn on and keep on the balcony lights all night. They casted too much light into the room (if you prefer to sleep with curtains completely closed, then you'll be fine).

Housekeeping was great - they came in twice. The first time to do the standard clean-up and then again in the evening for a turn down and a little touching up. Yet, I never ran into them - very good and very professional (unlike my experience at Residence Inn!).

The hotel grounds was very nice - pool, very up-to-date fitness center, reasonably priced deli, good happy hour at the bar. I'm not a fan of valet parking, but they were prompt and I got over my fears of valet.

You do have to pay a $25 "resort fee". That was fine with me, because it provided access to their beach club - with lounge chairs, towels, very good umbrellas (the kind that actually block sun), etc. They also provide you with free transportation there, although it's just a 10 minute walk so I usually walked there.

I would absolutely stay there again, so long as I could get another bargain.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Colony Hotel and Cabana Club
#5 of 15 in Delray Beach
Delray Sands Resort on Highland Beach
Residence Inn by Marriott Delray Beach

Been to The Seagate Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!