“Pricey and Cold Food:”
Review of De La Vega

De La Vega
Ranked #2 of 181 Restaurants in DeLand
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Pricey and Cold Food:”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Lunch at DeLaVega...

I happily dragged my poor Husband into DeLaVega, after assuring him that the food had been tremendous when I had eaten there several years back. The reason we had not returned was, he had what he called a terrible meal there prior to the time we were Married (3 years), and refused to return.

It was a beautiful afternoon in Downtown DeLand, when he reluctantly agreed to give the place another try. I told him, he probably had not made a good menu choice, and that I would do the ordering this time!

We started off with two soft drinks; followed by 1/2 orders 2 appetizers: The Empanada's, and the Aspirina's. I fully intended for us to add a Lunch, but thought we would have the appetizers, and I would ponder the selection.

The appetizers were served up in minutes (literally), but the
Waitress didn't give us any plates to eat on. I looked on the table, and there was a saucer (why a saucer?) under the folded cloth napkin...I said: is this what we're supposed to use? She promptly answered, well you can if you want, or I will bring you different dishes...to which I promptly said: please do!

There were 2 teensie-weensie Empanada's on one plate, and 3 teensie-weensie Aspirina's on another...not too impressive for $4.00 each! I kind of ignored the fact that my Husband looked like he wasn't happy....thinking to myself...no problem....wait until he tastes these!

Wellllllllllllllll....how does COLD Emapanada's, and COLD Aspirina's sound to you? AWFUL!

Needless to say, we didn't order Lunch...left starving, and on top of that the bill was $17.00 plus for two 1/2 Appetizers and 2 Soft Drinks...not including the Tip!

My Husband is still grumbling about it, and it's 8 hours later!

I don't think we'll be returning to DeLaVega anytime soon!

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Lynda1944

“Mexican flavors downtown DeLand, vegan choices”
Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

De la Vega restaurant is perfectly located downtown DeLand, so as you stroll by, do make sure you sit down and try some of their delicious aspirinas appetizers. Chef Nora's menu is more creative than your typical Mexican restaurant, so go ahead and treat yourself to flavors you will not encounter anywhere else around. My personal favorites are the nopales salad which features grilled cactus, grilled cheese and pineapple over greens and the enmoladas (enchiladas in exquisite mole sauce) they also started serving hibiscus tacos I'm dying to try. Many vegetarian and vegan options are available. Drinks are large and there are often 2for1 specials. Service is excellent, the manager Many is super attentive. Lovely modern atmosphere with local art on the walls, but outside sitting will put your right in the middle of things if you like to people watch. Don't miss this awesome place next time you're downtown!

“Ole'”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

the true taste of a Chef's desire to serve up mexican cuisine....thank you for having the taste of Mexico and not serving refried beans on tacos and calling it mexican.....The Chef is truly creative in using her skills to make your palates scream with delight from her kitchen.....

Visited October 2012
1 Thank SonnyMan
Manny D, Owner at De La Vega, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for appreciating my work. We hope to see you at the restaurant again soon.
Chef Nora De La Vega
DeLand, Florida
“Pricey for what you get”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

De La Vega is pricey for what you get - both the service and the food. When we were seated, the waiter kindly slid the table a couple of feet toward the front and fiddled with the table leg in an attempt to minimize rocking, since the table didn't sit flat on the floor. There was an abundance of servers given the number of tables, all of them rushing to and fro, but the service still lacked. Apparently the dishroom was short of dishwasher staff, since the appetizer dishes were actually tea saucers, and we were required to re-use our forks. When taking the appetizer tea saucers away, the waitress removed our forks from the saucers, placing one on the tablecloth, and balancing the other on the butter knife.

For an appetizer, we got the Avocado Relleno. For $14, we received two small avocados with sweet pepper sauce and canned shrimp poured in their pit-sockets.

For the main course, we had $15 Huarache de Nopal (chicken) and $17 Huachinango a la Veracruzana (grouper). The chicken dish was layered like a cake; on the bottom was a canned slab of cactus, followed by a well-cooked chicken breast. A flattened green pepper was laid on the chicken, followed by a layer of cream cheese, topped with a flattened red pepper.

The grouper was laying on a banana leaf, and sitting in a sauce of green and red peppers, corn, and more pepper sauce. It was a little fishy and overcooked. The guacamole was pre-made.

The service was slow, and we weren't offered refills on our drinks until the waitress took our plates.

The restroom was cramped and dirty. The restaurant itself was clean and pleasant, but noisy.

Before leaving, the waitress offered either discounts or free food - I'm not sure which, now - if we referred four of our friends.

At the current prices, it's unlikely we would return, and equally unlikely we would refer friends.

• Visited November 2012
3 Thank 2Gibbons
Paris, France
“Gourmet Mexican food worth a detour!”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I live in Northern California, and yet I cannot find a Mexican restaurant there of the quality of De La Vega. Every dish is to die for.

(My only complaint is that the dishes are a little TOO copious, and we could only finish HALF what we ordered. But that meant a free De La Vega meal in the comfort of our own home the next day!)

Visited September 2012