“Do not Book HOWARD JOHNSON INN DELAND”

Budget Inn of DeLand
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in DeLand
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Do not Book HOWARD JOHNSON INN DELAND”
Reviewed March 8, 2011

I don't have words to describe this hotel. I am not the type of person that write reviews but I feel obligated to do it, so other people don't go through a bad experience. I went during the bike week in Daytona when we got there the check in was fast. The room was awful. Beds looked sooo dirty that you did not even want to sit on them. The sheets had holes. The sink was dirty. I saw a couple of bugs. The room smell like cigarette. Extremely, overpriced for what we got. I do not recomment this hotel at all.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
hojodaytonabeachdela, Webmaster at Budget Inn of DeLand, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us a review, it is very much appreciated, especially since this is not your usual way of doing things. Upon receipt of your review, the following actions were taken:

• Maintenance was informed of your report of bugs in the room assigned to you and instructed to look into the matter and see to their extermination.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Howard Johnson Inn - Daytona Beach/Deland. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Spencer, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 21, 2011

I actually booked this Hotel with Expedia and did not read the reviews on here first but read then after and was a little worried. When we arrived (1 day early) the desk clerk was a little miffed as she evidently hate racing and we were there to cover the racing for the Media. She gave us a room for 68 and she made it our room for the continuation of our stay (Very nice, so we didn't have to move.

I got the other 3 nights with Expedia for $40/night....we got room 252, we walked in. The room was very clean, shower had very hot water and great water pressure and the overall experience was totally fine. I am not sure what the other traveler's deal was but maybe they are used to the Hilton or something........it was a very nice $40/night Hotel and I would stay there again in a second.

If you go about 6 miles there is every store you could imagine near Speedway Blvd too!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Eric_LaFleche
ODESSA
Reviewed September 27, 2010

We booked ahead, got a lousy dirty room. Bathtub was filthy with foot dirt, The toilet had puke down the side of it. Saw a German cockroach run up the wall. Towels were ripped and yellow/tan. Just dirty, dirty. Had a dog with us, grass area had all kinds of junk around including glass and "insulin" type needles. We were treated rudely when we asked for a downstairs room or one closer to the stairs. Beds were made, but room was not vacuumed between nights. This could be a nice hotel but they have totally run it down. Drive a little further to Deltona, our friends stayed at the Best Western there and loved it, I know we will next time!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Inn - Daytona Beach/Deland for your recent stay in our area. I am so sorry that you felt treated rudely, that is not what we want to happen at our establishment.

• Maintenance was informed of your report of junk around the glass area and instructed to see to the area being cleaned up and properly maintained.

• Management received additional instruction in the courteous, respectful way which they are to treat our valued guests.

• Housekeeping received additional instruction in the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

Hotel Manager.

Travelers are raving about these DeLand hotels

Ft Myers
Reviewed August 15, 2010

Worst hotel experience of my 59 years. Front desk employee refused to register my friend's family and mine as she"had worked 12 hours, was busy and can't do it all. Lobby was empty and few cars in parking lot at 6:30 pm. we were told people without reservations were to be patient, then said "I will not be registering any more guests until my relief comes in at 7:00 pm, and then he can do some of this work . when relief worker came, he said well, she's been working for 12 hrs" our rooms were dirty, with apparent mold in 254"s bathroom, and a quarter sized burn hole in my daughter's bottom sheet. TV remote didn't work, even pen was dry. Breakfast stale.Hojo no "mo!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

• Registration staff received additional training in the courteous, respectful manner in which they are to treat our valued guests.

• Maintenance was informed of the non-working remote control in the room assigned to you and instructed to repair or replace it.

• Breakfast staff received additional training in presenting a proper breakfast.

North Port, Florida
Reviewed June 14, 2010

Arrived and within 2 minutes of entering our room we checked out!! This is the most disgusting hotel I have ever seen. It looks like a very dangerous place and I would never let my children stay in such a place. Pulling up to the hotel we had the worst, most uncomfortable vibe and we are glad we trusted our instincts because it was already the worst experience we have ever encountered. The front desk woman said they were having a biker benefit that day and the resturant was not a biker bar. But with fixed "biker parking only" signs we knew different! I wish I would have read the reviews on this hotel before booking. Howard Johnson should be very ashamed to be associated with this place. We booked this room through Expedia and now are having trouble getting a refund becaused the general manager keeps hanging up on them when they call. We had a scary man with no shoes or shirt peering in our window as soon as we walked in! We didn't even have our bags down when we looked at each other and said "We're not staying here!!" The room smelled horrible and the entire hotel should be shut down!! Be careful, please don't stay here!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Dear teresaree,

Thank you very much for your attempt to stay at Howard Johnson Inn - Daytona Beach/Deland during your recent visit to our area.

• Security staff was approached about measures that could be taken to make our valued guests feel more secure during their stays with us.

• Expendia and the general manager have been approached about the matter of your receiving a refund.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again consider staying at Howard Johnson Inn - Daytona Beach/Deland. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Maryland
Reviewed March 6, 2010

We stayed for a few nights while visiting a relative. The location for what we needed was the only good thing about this motel. Most people would be disappointed that it is out in the middle fo nowhere. What you don't see in their picture is that the hotel is attached to a bar which puts a heavy focus on attracting bikers. At night there was loud, bad, live "music" outside until very late. One day the maid inexplicably took away our towels and bathmat and didn't give us any clean ones. The free breakfast was never stocked-- when a dozen people were waiting, the clerk brought out only six bagels and a few mini donuts at a time. The coffee urns were usually empty; when we asked for more, it took a long time to brew it and the amount was inadequate for all the guests who were waiting. There was one ice machine for the whole motel and it never had ice when we wanted it. My husband broke out in a rash and I have been itching all over since our stay. Hopefully it was harsh detergent and not bugs! I wish I had read the other reviews first, but like everyone else, I thought they were exaggerated and that the motel could not be that bad. I was wrong-- it was.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Inn - Daytona Beach/Deland for your recent stay in our area. I hope you had a wonderful visit with your relative. I am glad that our location was a good one for you.

• Housekeeping was approached about making sure that our valued guests are properly supplied with items such as towels and bathmats.

• Management was instructed of their responsibility to see to it that our valued guests are reminded of their responsibility to be thoughtful of their fellow guests.

• Maintenance received additional training in properly maintaining the ice machine.

Florida
Reviewed February 25, 2010

This hotel is the most disgusting hotel, I've ever stayed seen or stayed in. I wish that I had gone with my first instinct to leave, or sleep in my car. I was in Deland for a STATE TEST, along with many others. I will make this simple: I awoke to bed bugs that I thought were ticks crawling on the walls & across my bed & pillow. I did not see any of this before I went to bed. I checked real well when I pulled back the covers. I don't know where the bed bugs were when I went to bed, but they were there when I awoke. I have pictures, videos and witnesses that were there with me. I have never been more horrified and discusted in my life. I had to place all my belongings in a plastic bag, because bed bugs can be carried into your car & into your home when you return. The experience almost caused me to falter on my STATE EXAM. I had to sit for four hours while tetsing until I could leave drive 2-1/2 hours home straight to a CVS & buy specific detergent & hair products to take all precautions not to carry the bug into my home. I am contacting the Dept of Business & Professionals of Hotels & Motels, BBB, FDLE, HJ's corporate.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Inn - Daytona Beach/Deland for your recent stay in our area. I hope you did extremely well on your STATE EXAM.

Hotel Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near DeLand
Comfort Inn - De Land
Artisan Downtown
Artisan Downtown
#2 of 8 in DeLand
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Orange

Been to Budget Inn of DeLand? Share your experiences!