“Awesome Pairings and atmosphere”
Review of Byte

Byte
Ranked #5 of 184 Restaurants in DeLand
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Comfortable modern look with stained floors and beautiful lighting, a great uptown feel.
Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

I visited Byte around 3pm a couple weeks ago. I was pleased to are such a modern look in our quaint little downtown.

I had an appetizer that included a deep fried Gorgonzola with perfectly done rare beef and an aamazing pesto type drizzle. It was awesome pairing of flavour.

For lunch I had a salad - very large for the price I thought.

Excellent and knowledgeable server. Great atmosphere and can't wait till I can return for a Dinner soon.

2  Thank aferrarionthego

Reviewed December 28, 2013

The service was good, friendly and pleasant. If you decided to eat prior to 7 PM the special menu gave you a good selection of small bytes. The small bytes were very good as was the soup duet. I think that this is a spot that you need to visit if you are in the area.
I will be going back.

2  Thank Rkistall
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I agree with others comments that it is a welcome addition to the downtown area, and I would like to state I will return a second time.

Decor and appointments are excellent, if you didn't tell me where we were, and dropped me into the middle of the restaurant, I might believe it was located in a major US city. Good work on the 'feel' of the establishment.

Now.

Having dined at a number of establishments similar to this one in Southern California, where we spent over 20 years, I can say that more effort is required to bring the cuisine/service of this establishment up to the level advertised.

For instance, the server should have full knowledge of the menu, daily specials (off menu), and potential wine parings. Ours did not.

Ordered the "Truffle chips" under 'Fragments.' Please actually put Truffle into the dish next time. I have had many dishes with truffles actually in them and know what to expect. This one had approximately zero truffle flavor.

The salad came with the meal. We were asked what dressing we preferred, and we both chose the truffle-based offering. We found it to be a bit pedestrian if not disappointing. No hint of truffle to be found. In addition, diced supermarket-level tomatoes on hearts of romaine SOUNDS good in theory, but in practice is 'Meh' Presentation was nice.

THE MEAL: After our server came back to retake our order, (she was having a rough night, it happens to the best of us), we were eventually served the main course.

My wife ordered the Yellow Tail Snapper and I had the Braised Short Rib. Both dishes were very good. Hers was hot and obviously freshly prepared,; a good thing for a fish dish. The food was well-presented also. The Short Rib was very nice, both in presentation and flavor. The accompanying 'Hunters potatoes' were quite nicely done with good flavor and texture.

One small caveat: the Snapper was served on a fried risotto-like cake, this cake was both not mentioned on the menu, and not very palatable. It was greasy and was something more akin to an offering found at Long John Silvers. The Green Onion Puree mentioned in the meal description was also not present.

There were other things that occurred that I am not going to comment on in this review. Again, this is for the owner to read and take away what he will from it. If you are going to charge these prices, you must have a high level of service to accompany. I do welcome this restaurant to the area and hope that it will become a great one.

3  Thank knewhorizons
Reviewed December 20, 2013

My wife and I had two filet mignons, salads and truffle chips. All of it was amazing. We asked our waiter, wife's idea I didn't want to because he looked young, what he would go with and he surprisingly chose perfectly, Filet mignons are always good, but the truffle chips were a huge surprise. He knew the menu very well including the beer but his wine knowledge was good but definitely his weak point. Overall though, his service was great and we will keep coming back aslong as the food stays this good and the other servers are just as polite.

Price is fair, but definitely the normal price of fine dining.

3  Thank RobertMofOrmond
Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

It's nice to be able to have a touch of Winter park in DeLand. Not having to drive almost an hour away from home to go to a nice, upscale resturant is a breath of Fresh air. The food presentation is spectacular!! The restaurant it's self is very Charming. It's very modern with a flare of class. The servers are my favorite part. They are punctual, very knowledgeable of the menu and they aren't afraid to tell you their favorites on the menu. They strive to give you the best experience and service that will keep you coming back for more. I should know... I've been back over 7 times now ;0)

Byte adds just a little more to this already wonderful town.

2  Thank Sabe C

Been to Byte? Share your experiences!