“Greatly Surprised!”

Shady Oak Restaurant
Ranked #54 of 183 Restaurants in DeLand
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This is the perfect example of "don't judge a book by it's cover".
Awesome little fish camp restaurant with inside seating and patio seating over-looking the St. John's River. My husband and I sat inside at the bar. Best place to sit and talk to the regulars and the bartenders (Renee is great). Fast service, cold beer and good food. I had some fish called Ponga (never heard of it) blackened with salad and baked beans. It was very good and plenty of fish. My husband had the cat fish fingerlings and he loved them, again plenty of fish. Excellent price for the amount of food you get.
Had a good time, we will be back.
P.S. Great place to come by boat or motorcycle.

1  Thank CindyJ1965
There are newer reviews for Shady Oak Restaurant

Reviewed September 4, 2012

This past Saturday my wife and I visited this establishment for the first and Last time. Please note this is a fish camp type bar and restaurant on the St. Johns River with a great view and that is all. The place is dirty, the seafood frozen and the service slow and inaccurate. The view would have been better but the windows were hard to see out of because they were so dirty.
Do yourself a favor and find another place to eat. There are many great restaurants is the De Land area unfortunately this is not one of them.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

This was our second visit to the Shady Oak, this time we came by boat, and after a slight struggle to tie up, assisted by 2 very helpful regulars, we found a seat inside and waited. It was obviously an unusually busy day and there was only 1 waitress working the full restaurant. She was amazing, constantly moving, constantly smiling and working as hard as she could. The cook was even running food. We had a light lunch of onion rings, very tasty, beer battered and BLTs. I got macaroni salad and my husband got coleslaw, both of which were very tasty. If you are expecting fine dining, this is not the place for you, if you are looking for good, tasty, simple food, served with a smile and a place with a killer view of the river, don't miss the Shady Oak.

1  Thank trishandbrad
Reviewed August 5, 2012

This is why you come to Florida, to sit by the river & let the world float by. This is a True Florida Fish Camp type of place & you can not go wrong here, unless your looking for fine dinning, if so go to Disney & pay all you want for over priced blahh. Start with a cold beer, forget about the long lines, order something fried or blacked, it all goes down good. Walk out on the dock & enjoy the sunset, feed some fish, what more could you want. This place is worth finding.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

My wife and I drove to the Shady Oak instead of coming by boat due to the weather forecast. It was very crowded with locals even after 1 p.m. We found two seats at the bar, which is the best place to meet the regulars who frequent this place.

The food service and overall experience met the highest standards of "Old Florida" fish camp culture. The fried catfish with bones in (not the catfish filet) was very good. My wife liked her fried shrimp too.

We will definitely come back here every time we come to Deland.