“A pleasant change from all the fast food and buffet chinese restaurants.”

Won-Lee Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #45 of 184 Restaurants in DeLand
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed December 1, 2011

Won Lee's is a landmark restaurant in DeLand having been here for years... long before my arrival. It is a wonderful place to get really good American style Chinese food. The lunch specials are extremely reasonably priced and quite tasty. I have eaten in this restaurant many times over the past few years for lunch and dinner and don't ever remember being disappointed. Have I had better Chinese food elsewhere? Honestly, yes, but not anywhere near this area or for the prices they charge and as I said, I've never had a bad or even questionable meal at any time. I've eaten many different dishes here and enjoyed everything. Most recently we had Egg Fu Young and General Tao's Chicken for lunch that came with Egg Drop Soup and Fried Rice and we drank hot tea and water. The lunch was quite tasty and the entire meal for two, including a 20% tip was less than $12.00. You just cannot go wrong here!!!

Reviewed October 31, 2011

The service is very friendly and the staff is always accommodating. They always have more than you can eat portions making wonderful late night snacks.Highly recommend this restaurant for it's atmosphere and food. The outside could use some renovations, but the inside is clean and cozy. We have never been dissatisfied. My in-laws have been patrons for years, it is one of their favorite restaurants in Deland,

Reviewed March 20, 2011

I have been going to Won Lee Restaurant for over 30 years. I have been amazed at the consistency of their food over the years. Their recipe for Shrimp and Lobster Sauce is my favorite; when I prepare the dish at home, I pattern mine after theirs. I've never found another recipe for that dish that I've preferred during all my other visits to Chinese restaurants. The style is mainly Cantonese and in some cases, more authentically Chinese than American in style--I recommend Won Lee Special Wor Mein as an example. I also really enjoy their Butterfly Shrimp. My wife enjoys their Moo Shu Pork and the vegetarian dishes.

There are a few well-executed Hunan and Szechuan dishes on the menu, but the kitchen clearly prefers the Cantonese approach to food and cooking. I can't argue with that!

Reviewed March 10, 2011

This week I decided to take off from work to spend some time with a good buddy of mine who has just returned home from almost 6 months of Army training. We're both serving by the way: Army and Navy... We decided to visit the Deland Farmers market, where we had a wonderful time with all the deals... Lunch time we deciced on one of the local restaurant( besides popular fast food chains) so we headed down to Won Lee Chinese Restuarant.

Initially, nothing went the way we felt it should, but being optimistic, we held our heads together and went along with the loud talking staff as if English were'nt our first language. The appetizers were ok, nothing special flavor wise: Let's see Garlic wings and spring rolls( more like fried egg roll).

Then the main course came. Our food was just beyond tepid or warm. Not a steam came off our plates of food. My friend food was not fresh and did even the appearance of looking that way. I ordered my usual Shrimp and Lobster sauce( normally, this sauce is thicker, but when freshly made the consistency of it is more a liquid state. When reheated it is a jelly state:this is what I got gel. I know my stuff.

Politely, I tried on two (2) occasions to get this matter fixed, but instead, defensively the host and maybe the owner cowered us down by stating how the food is usually prepared. He was not willing to go over to our table and see for himself: this happened immediately after we got our main course. No resulution towards customer's satisfaction were offered, not even to prepare a new course or any kind of compensation. We got rude and defensive behavior. No personality as a greeter or host. They need to be behind a calculator instead... Since it is all about the money

We paid our bill, and why my friend? It's the principle...

Reviewed November 13, 2008

Best General Tso's chicken ever. Great egg rolls and fried rice. Most things are great. Like all places some thing are better than others. I've taken lots of guest here and most love it. Decor is old but fine.