“Great desserts”

Cook's Buffet, Cafe & Bakery
Ranked #12 of 184 Restaurants in DeLand
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Description: The restaurant in an old home, built in 1910. It has recently been restored to accentuate it's original beauty and craftsmanship. It is warm and homey, just like home. The beautiful stained glass windows are the homes original windows. The grounds are landscaped with lush green and colorful plants.
Reviewed January 6, 2013

The soups and desserts are worth a drive to Deland.They are like home made. We always stop here- no need to try other places.

1  Thank Marilyn P

Reviewed December 30, 2012

6 of us went to Cook's for their buffet. It really is not a buffet in the true sense as you have to pick one meat from about 7 choices. And if you want to try something different there is a three dollar charge and the waitress will bring it to you. Then you can return for the salad bar and vegetable bar as many times as you want to. I was disappointed that they did not have any chicken to choose from, Four of our party had the lamb and they said it was very good, I had the fish which was ok, and the other person had the medium roast beef that they said was good. Overall the food was tasty and the price was reasonable but I don't think we will be going back. Service was good.

1  Thank mydogTasha
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We ate at Cook's for lunch. The salad bar was extensive, food was fresh and nicely displayed. I was a little disappointed in their signature soup, "chicken velvet," but I am a soup maker and expect a lot! My traveling companion had lamb chops, mashed potatoes and carrots; her food was delicious! We shared a piece of chocolate cake which was a mistake because it was only fair and we felt stuffed when we left. Our server was friendly but disorganized and somewhat fogetful. We will go back again when in the area.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

We came in tonight and it was amazing. The restaurant was clean and the buffet was beautiful. Seemed like an upscale buffet. Plenty of choices and amazing taste! Our server was Melody an she was fabulous. We have never been there before and she took the time to explain how everything worked. She said that we would only revieve one portion of meat but could order a second. My mother uses a walker and Melody helped her with just about everything telling my family she would help her through the line. There were plenty of selections of meat! The carver Derrick was amazing. He had a wonderful personality and had us laughing the whole time. I had the turkey and it could just melt in your mouth. Melody told us that the owner was there almost every morning cooking and I think that came out in the taste of the food. She also informed us that we could tour the kitchen which let us know the kitchen was clean and well maintained. We will try and do it our next visit. We order the "Sunday Special" which included our dessert. Melody recommended the coconut cake so thats what I had. I wanted to eat the whole cake. They were all so beautiful and wanted to try each one. The atmosphere was pleasant and the music was Chtistmas! I have past this place several times thinking that it might not be very goof but I was wrong. The whole experience was wonderful. The food tasted amazing and cooked perfectly! Melody and Derrick made us feel like we were part of the family. My family had a wonderful time as well. We will be back in the very near future!! Definitely going to be repeat customers!!

1  Thank Lora R
DelandBusinessOwner, Owner at Cook's Buffet, Cafe & Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2012

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are very proud of our family of staff members. We would love for you to take a tour of our kitchen anytime. We work hard to keep our kitchen and restaurant clean, just like we were at home.
Our salad bar is one of our highlights. We enjoy adding new things and making it look inviting.
Using fresh ingredients is a high priority, so much so that we grow our own herbs outside our back door. Can't get any fresher than that.
Again thank you for your review and we definately look forward to having you come "home" again.
Michael & Star Cook, owners

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Food is like Mom made. What more can I say? Which means it was sooooooo good!

Nice clean place and great service. Cold salad plates are a must and they did it right!