“FRESHNESS * QUALITY* TASTE”

Santorini Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 183 Restaurants in DeLand
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Northern New Jersey
“FRESHNESS * QUALITY* TASTE”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We were driving through Deland in search of a gas station around dinner time. Santorini Greek Cuisine caught my attention near the old Opera House building hoping it was as wonderful as my trip to the caldera of the Greek Isles. We got a table right away in this storefront consisting of about a dozen tables, and were pleased at the speedy attention our waitress gave us. She read each special to us and gave the price. (Nice, that's the way it is supposed to be. Tell me how much the specials are. Already I knew this was going to be a good place) The menu was very hard for me to decide because everything sounded so authentic. I was eye-grazing my neighbor's meal only to see a very large portion of a lamb shank smothered with an herbal red sauce which certainly whet my appetite. On the opposite side of our table I could see a pastichio piled high and covered with bechamel sauce. I wanted everything, so I thought I would try a sampler of dolmades, spanakopita and a gyro of lamb and beef combo ($12) which came with soup/salad. My husband loves baby lamb chops and these were charbroiled ($4 ea. w/ a minimum of 3). The mousaka (dinner $11) also sounded good with layers of eggplant, potato, and meat sauce also baked in a bechamel sauce. There is even a vegetarian mousaka. Hummm, should I get the basa fish or the redfish? Not this time, because it is so authentic here, they serve it with the head and tail. All of the dinner entrees come with 2 slices of pita and a choice of rice, lemon roasted potato (my favorite) or a vegetable du jour. While we were still deciding, we felt something very hot and sizzling. It was the Saganaki, a flaming Greek cheese served with 4 slices of pita bread being served at the next table. Wow, what an entrance! I still wanted everything on this menu. We both decided on the gyro's and we were both very happy with them ($5.50). We really didn't need the extra tzatziki sauce for a dollar, but it was deliciously fresh. People, save room for dessert. We shared an order of baklava and we have to say it was THE BEST we have ever had. We ordered it with a cappucino. What a delightful experience. We will definitely be back here. The food was so fresh. We got great quality, and everything tasted delicious. No wonder why Yanni calls one of his best songs, "Santorini". It's wonderful music, and so is this restaurant.

1 Thank Higbees

The Villages, Florida, United States
“Booking”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Just tried to book a table for 14 people on recommendation from Stetson. Woman answered, was rude, said closed and no reservations. No service offered.

5* based upon what everyone else said
1* based upon experience so far!

3* average..... May review if they politely offer us another opportunity to experience their "hospitality"

• Visited December 2012
Santorini G, Owner at Santorini Restaurant, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
We are sorry to hear about your experience when contacting our establishment . Even though we do not take reservations due to the small seating capacity, we advise our guests to try to come at off peak times between 3:00 to 5:00 pm and /or after 8:00 pm on the weekends. If these are not the preferred times, we recommend to call us the day of the visit so we can try our best to accommodate our guests. I apologize if the server came across as rude or did not discuss the above matter further. It is our goal to not only provide an enjoyable meal but to also provide excellent customer service.

Agata and Manny
Deltona, Florida
“Great Greek Food.”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The food was excellent. The dining area was very small and cramped, but I really enjoyed it, I will be going back again soon.

Campbellville, Ontario, Canada
“Best Greek Food Ever!”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

My husband and I go at least once a week and still it is hard to decide which entrees to order as all the ones that we've tried are sooo good!

Visited November 2012
Deland
“Small seating area but BIG on flavor.”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We have visited Santorini's several times now. Each visit was a delight. Service is great and if you are lucky, you might get one of the two window seats. But if not, you will be so busy enjoying your food that you won't care how small the place is.

• Visited August 2012