“Christmas Tour”

Stetson Mansion
Ranked #1 of 78 things to do in DeLand
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Stetson Mansion is a spectacular Victorian mansion built for famed hat maker and philanthropist John B Stetson in 1886. Situated right between Orlando and Daytona in DeLand makes it convenient for all visiting the central Florida area. This is Florida's first luxury estate and houses some of the most beautiful and intricate parquet floors in the world. The mansion is one of the first homes in the world to be designed and built with Edison electricity. The owners have painstakingly renovated every square inch of the 10,000 sq foot masterpiece while incorporating today's modern conveniences. All this was done without compromising the architectural or historical integrity. Every room on every one of the three floors is magnificently decorated and every room features a different style floor and window design There is Reservations are required $20-$30 per person and children are $15. Payment is cash at the door and we do charge applicable sales tax. See you at the Mansion!!
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Absoluetly beautiful! The owner who did the decorations should do the White House Christmas decorations!

JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

From your mouth Debra to the powers that be ears. I would love to be involved with designing a tree or anything for that matter at the White House!
Thank you so much for your visit and your review..I will keep you posted about my White House gig!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,342)
All reviews
in 45 reviews
"winter home"
in 41 reviews

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Toured mansion as part of a group of retirees from "The Villages". The appointed time for opening was 5PM ,there was a large group waiting at the closed entry gate, and until announcing ourselves via the intercom at 5:15 we were kept waiting. E;nthusiastic tour guide Debbie;informative regarding the basic history/decorative details of the historic mansion. As the Newport RI mansions are very familiar to us this house pales in comparison;however the holiday decorations are what make the Stetson House enjoyable. The cost $25/pp is a bit steep for the venue; stairs make it limited for mobility impaired. Interesting to note it was recently on "the market" for $6,000,000.00

JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2014

Thank you for traveling over to the Stetson Mansion and visiting with us along with the rest of your group, but I am very confused by your review. You mentioned that you were outside with a large group waiting till 5:15 for the gates to open for your 5pm tour but we do not have 5pm tours. Our "Illumination Tour" starts at 5:30 which is posted on our website and all our literature. We would never have a 5 pm tour because it is not dark enough to see the lights. Also our gates open automatically at 5:05 and there is a sign on the gate stating that. I was the one who answered the intercom at 5:01 and informed the person ringing that the gates would open in a few minutes. Your tour started promptly at 5:30 and you were never kept waiting. Regarding the Newport Mansions, we do not compare ourselves with them or the Biltmore Estate or Oheka and although they are larger they are also very cold and sterile. The Stetson Mansion is a home first and foremost as well as a spectacular architectural and historical masterpiece although smaller in size and features intricate parquet floors that not none of the RI mansions could rival. We are very familiar with these facts because we both are members of the Preservation Society of Newport County. Christmas at the Newport Mansions pale in comparison to the Christmas designs at the Stetson Mansion, which is pretty remarkable since we have no funding and most of the design work is done by one person. The $28 winter admission into the RI mansions is very reasonable because they receive millions and millions of dollars in donations and subsidies, and have 100's of volunteers to assist them -neither of which we benefit from. Finally the Stetson Mansion has never been for sale for $6,000,000...never. Although I appreciate your review I do find it only fare to be factual for future visitors. Please thank the rest of your group for their visit and we wish all of you a blissful and abundant 2014.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Our trip to the Stetson mansion exceeded our expectations. The mansion was beautifully and uniquely decorated for Christmas. Our tour guide, Debby, was knowledgeable, warm, friendly, and entertaining. We plan to return to see an extended tour to include the third rooms.

JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Thanks for visiting the mansion Sue. It is folks like you that let others know about the history and grandeur of the Stetson Mansion by leaving a review and your feedback. The third floor is my favorite floor of all because it houses my favorite bedroom...the balcony suite. I look forward to your return so that you can see the entire mansion on our "Grand Tour." Till next time - stay well!

Reviewed January 19, 2014

My wife and I took the "Christmas Spectacular Tour in the mansion last week and I must say it was absolutely "Spectacular"! As Deland residents we had seen the home from the outside many times and often wished we could tour the inside. We also know someone who used to live in the mansion, when it was open for rentals, and used to listen to his recollections of the place. We were like little kids listening to enchanted stories! Over the years we have traveled several restored mansions and larger homes. This one has to be at the top of the list for the meticulous attention to detail and preservation of the original architectural integrity. In my books, that is so important. We were very fortunate to have one of the two owners lead our tour group and the 1 1/2 hours we spent roaming through opulence, luxury and creativity was a trip through Fantasy Land! His presentation was infectious and made us feel as though we had been there when he was doing all the work! The whole restoration project taken on by the two owners is an absolute "Labor of Love". and it shows, in all the top quality workmanship, restoration, appointments, furnishings, and attention to detail! This is not just another Mansion, It is a part of Deland's and Volusia County's history that thankfully will now remain alive for all to see and enjoy! Many, many Thank Yous for bringing this "Grand Dame" back to life and sharing it so generously with us! Dave Westbrook

1  Thank Dave W

Dave I cannot begin to tell you how much I appreciate your words of encouragement and praise...thank you! Stetson Mansion is a Nationally Historic property and Florida's very first luxury estate and it is so much fun to watch our visitors when they are apprised of that fact. I think that most of our guests do not expect such a significant piece of architecture to be in our quaint little town of DeLand. Thank you for visiting with us and for recommending others to make it a point to experience the magic of the Stetson Mansion. Please continue to spread the word about the Stetson Mansion and DeLand Dave. See you at the Mansion!!

See more reviews
Reviewed January 16, 2014

My husband is President of the West Volusia Historical Society and we went with twenty other guests on the final illuminated tour of the holiday season with the owner JT. Everything about the experience was top notch--entertaining and knowledge-filled guide, gorgeous candle and fire-lit decor, amazing restoration. Most impressive to me was the care and passion that the owners put into all the interior and exterior historic details. It was an exhilirating experience.

JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Karen it was my pleasure to have you and your husband on my last tour of the season...thank you! The mansion is a bright light in our lives and we love whenever we get the opportunity to share it with others. I am so happy that we did not disappoint and hope that you will continue to tell others about our hidden treasure right here in DeLand!