“My home away from home!”
Review of Stetson Mansion

Stetson Mansion
Ranked #1 of 78 things to do in DeLand
More attraction details
Owner description: Stetson Mansion is a spectacular Victorian mansion built for famed hat maker and philanthropist John B Stetson in 1886. Situated right between Orlando and Daytona in DeLand makes it convenient for all visiting the central Florida area. This is Florida's first luxury estate and houses some of the most beautiful and intricate parquet floors in the world. The mansion has hosted such noted guests as President Cleveland, King Edward VII, the Astors, the Vanderbilts, Louis C Tiffany and Thomas Edison. In fact this is one of the first homes in the world to be designed and built with Edison electricity and Mr Edison oversaw the install himself. This is not your typical Victorian mansion though. The owners have painstakingly renovated every square inch of the 10,000 sq foot masterpiece while incorporating today's modern conveniences. All this was done without compromising the architectural or historical integrity. Every room on every one of the three floors is magnificently decorated and every room features a different style floor and window design. There is not one room that is off limits for visitors to see on their guided tour, you get to see it all including the owner's suite and the original 1886 schoolhouse which has been lovingly restored and converted to a "Zen"like cottage. There is also a beautiful meditation garden, gazebo and pool area for visitors to enjoy. Reservations are required $20-$30 per person $10 for children. Payment is cash or check at the door and we do charge applicable sales tax.
DeLand, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My home away from home!”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I have been on several tours at the Mansion, attended private events and had an event of my own here! And yes, it feels like home! JT & Michael are very gracious hosts and make you feel like family! Their love of sharing The Mansion with everyone is infectious and very contagious, for I am now in love with her too!!! I am sooo looking forward to the events planned for 2013 and I hope to see YOU at The Mansion! Florida's best kept secret is getting out - so hurry & book your tour!!!

1 Thank 124Suzanne1961
JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Suzanne we are so excited that you have such a passion for the history, beauty and grandeur of the Stetson Mansion. You are so right..the secret is slowly but surely getting out and because of this we hope to welcome thousands and thousands of more vistitors to experience the magic of the mansion. Welcome aboard!!

The Villages, Florida
“A Hidden Treasure in Deland, FL”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

The Stetson Mansion is truly a must-see attraction. If you are anywhere in the Deland area, go on the tour! The owne, JT, proudly shared the mansion he now calls home. The restoration of this 10,000 square foot house, was a labor of love. Built in 1886 by John B. Stetson, it was Florida's first luxury home. The owners' attention to detail and the integrity of the architecture is remarkable. The floors and woodwork are reason enough to visit. We loved JT's enthusiasm and look forward to going back to see the house when it is decorated for Christmas!

Visited February 2013
JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
I still get excited when I know I will be leading a tour and that enthusiasm carries over onto my tours! Thank you for letting me share the mansion and all its grandeur with you! Every morning I wake up I am still wowed by the floors in the mansion! They truly are a work of art!! Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone and we look forward to seeing back at the Stetson Mansion next Christmas!
The Villageas
“The most enchanting mansion I've ever seen !”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My girlfriend, her husband and I were lucky to take a bus tour to the Stetson Mansion, Stetson University and the Deland, Florida courthouse.If anyone live in Florida or visits Florida, this is a must see..The mansion itself was built by the owner of the Stetson Hat Company and is three stories tall. It was scheduled for demolition after its original owners passed on. Two young men purchased this totally empty home and proceeded to furnish it with their own finances, sometimes finding authentic antiques or amazing replicas. They got donations for appliances, heat and air units and other items. We were fortunate to view the estate during the Christmas season where each room is miraculously transformed with decorations of the most unique proportions.
Mr. Stetson had also requested that a schoolhouse be built for his young family to use during their stay (he had brought along a teacher for his children) and this too is decorated for the season..One of the two owners takes it upon himself to decorate the entire estate as well as do the cooking and cleaning (since he and his partner do reside there full-time),There is also a most tranquail garden on the premises that should not be missed.
Our tour continued on to Stetson University where besides viewing all the buildings, we were
treated to a short performance on one of the biggest organs in the world. And afterwards, we were allowed to ask questions of the gentleman who played who was actually a graduate of the University.
Another part of our tour centered on the Deland courthouse which featured original paintings of famous people (both good and criminal) that lived in and around the area..
This area of Florida should not be missed...

JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Susan thank you so much for taking a day trip over to visit the Stetson Mansion and our quaint little town of Deland. Your review is so spirited and detailed that it made me want to go on a tour and I live here! lol It is reviews like yours that truly give potential visitors a clear, honest and informative idea of what they can expect to see through your experience. Thank you again for allowing us to share the magic of the Stetson Mansion with yourself and your friends. We appreciate your touring with us and look forward to your return!
Daytona Beach, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Interesting and beautiful piece of History”
Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

Visited the Stetson Mansion with family for the holidays...what a hidden gem! The home and grounds are beautiful. Our guide TJ, who is also one of the owners gave a very engaging and informative tour. Who knew Thomas Edison visited Deland?!! Being able to tour at the holidays was especially nice because of the cheerful lights and decorations!

JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thanks for spending a few hours with us discovering all the history and grandeur that the Stetson Mansion has to offer! We hear that all the time, "who knew" that Edison installed the electric, "who knew" this is Florida's first luxury estate and so on and so on! I am still blown away by the beauty of the mansion even after 7 years! We really appreciate your visit and your review!!
Daytona Beach, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An experience I will never forget”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

In December my boyfriend came to visit me from California and told me about the Stetson Mansion. I had never heard of the place but I love historic buildings and I was extremely excited to go check it out. I looked it up online before we went because I was curious and the website said that it's one of Florida's best kept secrets, after our visit I can honestly say, I couln't agree more! The property is absolutely gorgeous and the architeture was even more stunning. The property was bulit in 1886 and still has it's original wood floors!!! The owners of the Mansion, JT and Michael were on site to give the tour personally! It was an amazing experience not only for the visual aspect but also because of the love and devotion borth Micheal and JT have for the Mansion. It blew me away to learn of the blood, sweat, and tears, that went into bringing the Mansion back to life. It was just as amazing to hear of the history and to learn that Thomas Edison was a close friend of Stetson's and provided the electricity, of which an original light bulb still burns! To top off the whole experience, my boyfriend proposed to me on the tour in the Peacock room. We soon learned that we were the first proposal to ever happen on site. I couldn't have asked for a more romantic and warming atmoshphere for such a life changing moment! The Christmas decorations made me feel like I was in a different world. I definitely recommend this tour to everyone who enjoys history, architeture or even just interior design. The changes and personal touches that Michael and JT have added to the Mansion will truly astound you. This mansion will forever be a part my histroy now and I couldn't be happier. My fiance and I will actullay be seeing if we can go back and take some of our engagement photos there. The staff/owners were so accomodating and truly made the whole experience an unforgetable one. Don't miss out on Florida's best kept secret!!

JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
I will always remember this night because it was the first proposal ever at the Stetson Mansion and we were all so excited for both of you! Your review was so incredibly sincere and detailed and it is so nice to see a young couple that loves history and beautiful architecture as much as we do. The history of the mansion is a constant source of inspiration for Michael and I, John B Stetson, President Cleveland, King Edward VII and so on. How could we not be inspired and grateful for this amazing opportunity to be part of preserving and sharing this piece of Americana with so many from around the world. Thank you so much for allowing us to be part of your exciting new journey and for taking the time to detail your experience with everyone else!! Have a happy and abundant life!!