“Beautiful”
Review of Stetson Mansion

Stetson Mansion
Ranked #1 of 78 things to do in DeLand
More attraction details
Owner description: Stetson Mansion is a spectacular Victorian mansion built for famed hat maker and philanthropist John B Stetson in 1886. Situated right between Orlando and Daytona in DeLand makes it convenient for all visiting the central Florida area. This is Florida's first luxury estate and houses some of the most beautiful and intricate parquet floors in the world. The mansion has hosted such noted guests as President Cleveland, King Edward VII, the Astors, the Vanderbilts, Louis C Tiffany and Thomas Edison. In fact this is one of the first homes in the world to be designed and built with Edison electricity and Mr Edison oversaw the install himself. This is not your typical Victorian mansion though. The owners have painstakingly renovated every square inch of the 10,000 sq foot masterpiece while incorporating today's modern conveniences. All this was done without compromising the architectural or historical integrity. Every room on every one of the three floors is magnificently decorated and every room features a different style floor and window design. There is not one room that is off limits for visitors to see on their guided tour, you get to see it all including the owner's suite and the original 1886 schoolhouse which has been lovingly restored and converted to a "Zen"like cottage. There is also a beautiful meditation garden, gazebo and pool area for visitors to enjoy. Reservations are required $20-$30 per person $10 for children. Payment is cash or check at the door and we do charge applicable sales tax.
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Not sure it's worth more than half a day to visit. There are other historic sites that offer more. But worth it if you are in the area.

1  Thank Barbra N
JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2014

Thrilled to continue the magic of Christmas for you Joseph, thank you so much for your visit and the "EXCELLENT" rating! Maybe you will make it point to visit again after the holidays to learn more about the history and inspiration that we share on the historic tour. Happy New Year to you and your family!

Reviewed July 20, 2012

Beautiful mansion. A must see. Won't be disappointed. Nice to see that the mansion was restored. All I can say was I'm impressed with the work that went into fixing up a beautiful mansion.

JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2012

You guys were a blast!! Thank you so much for organizing and traveling over from The Villages to visit the Stetson Mansion. Your enthusiasm was infectious and your words of encouragement and praise were greatly appreciated as well as humbling! I have said it over and over again that sharing the mansion is somewhat selfish on my part because every time I open our doors to another group of visitors I get to experience the magic of the mansion all over again through their eyes. I live a life filled with continual blessings and abundance!! Thank you to all my new friends at the Mustang Club for sharing in my dream!!

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Our Friday night group decided to tour the Stetson Mansion together. It was a nice drive from The Villages, FL, easy to find, very welcoming place to visit. All of us enjoyed different aspects of the home. Most of us were in awe of the wood floors, all of us were interested in the HGTV type decor update, and some of us were gazing out windows, thinking about how it must have been back in the late 1800's to live there. I personally kept thinking of the house I grew up in - some similarities like the old doors, upstairs and push button light switches. Thank you for dreaming your dream and sharing it with us!

2  Thank PAMELA F
JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Thank you so much for making us a part of your Friday night get away! The floors and windows always get the most oooohs and ahhhs and I have to admit I still marvel at their beauty and intricate details. I just returned home from a Europe promoting the Stetson Mansion and the city of Deland and I have to tell you that when I drove through the gates I fell in love all over again!! There is a special magic about this place that pictures just don't capture. I just led another tour today and everyone asked if I would do it over again if I had the chance and the answer is always a resounding yes!! The Stetson Mansion inspires you to dream gigantic!! From all of us at the mansion thank you for your visit and your wonderful feedback!!

Reviewed July 14, 2012

We toured the Stetson Mansion today and were very pleased with the whole experience. The mansion is totally restored and has beautiful stained glass windows and unbelievable parquet floors throughout. Our guide Kent has some terrific stories and insight to the mansion history and the Stetson family. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

1  Thank ObobH
JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

I am so pleased to hear that you made your visit to the mansion a family affair!! Christmas at the mansion adds another layer of opulence and many of our visitors last year commented that they felt like they got the chance to peek back to a time gone by. I agree that the Stetson by Night tours do have a little something extra special about them because of all the illuminations. I will often just sit in a different room several times a week during the Christmas season after everyone has left and just inventory all the blessings in my life. I love that time of year! I can't wait to welcome you again this year! Wow, I just realized how quickly that time is approaching!! Thank you for posting your comments!!

Reviewed July 5, 2012

I invited my sister and mother to go on the Christmas tour. Go on the later tour. It is daylight when you start and dark when you end the tour.This way you can see the home in the light and lit up with Christmas lights when you are done. Each room in the house was decorated beautifully for the holidays. We also enjoyed hearing the history of the home and the many unique architectual details. Our tour guide was very entertaining. This year we want to get a group of girls to all go do the tour together and have dinner in downtown Deland.

2  Thank ToryAW
JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Thank you so much for making your visit to the mansion a family affair!! I can't believe that Christmas decorating is right around the corner!! There is a special magic that comes out at night when the mansion is illuminated! I will keep my eyes open for you but if your not on one of my tours make sure to say hello!! See you soon and thank you for sharing your comments!