“Our Friday night group...”
Review of Stetson Mansion

Stetson Mansion
Ranked #1 of 78 things to do in DeLand
More attraction details
Owner description: Stetson Mansion is a spectacular Victorian mansion built for famed hat maker and philanthropist John B Stetson in 1886. Situated right between Orlando and Daytona in DeLand makes it convenient for all visiting the central Florida area. This is Florida's first luxury estate and houses some of the most beautiful and intricate parquet floors in the world. The mansion has hosted such noted guests as President Cleveland, King Edward VII, the Astors, the Vanderbilts, Louis C Tiffany and Thomas Edison. In fact this is one of the first homes in the world to be designed and built with Edison electricity and Mr Edison oversaw the install himself. This is not your typical Victorian mansion though. The owners have painstakingly renovated every square inch of the 10,000 sq foot masterpiece while incorporating today's modern conveniences. All this was done without compromising the architectural or historical integrity. Every room on every one of the three floors is magnificently decorated and every room features a different style floor and window design. There is not one room that is off limits for visitors to see on their guided tour, you get to see it all including the owner's suite and the original 1886 schoolhouse which has been lovingly restored and converted to a "Zen"like cottage. There is also a beautiful meditation garden, gazebo and pool area for visitors to enjoy. Reservations are required $20-$30 per person $10 for children. Payment is cash or check at the door and we do charge applicable sales tax.
Summerfield, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Our Friday night group...”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Our Friday night group decided to tour the Stetson Mansion together. It was a nice drive from The Villages, FL, easy to find, very welcoming place to visit. All of us enjoyed different aspects of the home. Most of us were in awe of the wood floors, all of us were interested in the HGTV type decor update, and some of us were gazing out windows, thinking about how it must have been back in the late 1800's to live there. I personally kept thinking of the house I grew up in - some similarities like the old doors, upstairs and push button light switches. Thank you for dreaming your dream and sharing it with us!

Visited July 2012
2 Thank PAMELA F
JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Thank you so much for making us a part of your Friday night get away! The floors and windows always get the most oooohs and ahhhs and I have to admit I still marvel at their beauty and intricate details. I just returned home from a Europe promoting the Stetson Mansion and the city of Deland and I have to tell you that when I drove through the gates I fell in love all over again!! There is a special magic about this place that pictures just don't capture. I just led another tour today and everyone asked if I would do it over again if I had the chance and the answer is always a resounding yes!! The Stetson Mansion inspires you to dream gigantic!! From all of us at the mansion thank you for your visit and your wonderful feedback!!

The Villages, Florida
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“GREAT TOUR WITH EXCELLENT GUIDE”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We toured the Stetson Mansion today and were very pleased with the whole experience. The mansion is totally restored and has beautiful stained glass windows and unbelievable parquet floors throughout. Our guide Kent has some terrific stories and insight to the mansion history and the Stetson family. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank ObobH
JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
I am so pleased to hear that you made your visit to the mansion a family affair!! Christmas at the mansion adds another layer of opulence and many of our visitors last year commented that they felt like they got the chance to peek back to a time gone by. I agree that the Stetson by Night tours do have a little something extra special about them because of all the illuminations. I will often just sit in a different room several times a week during the Christmas season after everyone has left and just inventory all the blessings in my life. I love that time of year! I can't wait to welcome you again this year! Wow, I just realized how quickly that time is approaching!! Thank you for posting your comments!!
Mount Dora, Florida
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Fabulous Christmas tour”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I invited my sister and mother to go on the Christmas tour. Go on the later tour. It is daylight when you start and dark when you end the tour.This way you can see the home in the light and lit up with Christmas lights when you are done. Each room in the house was decorated beautifully for the holidays. We also enjoyed hearing the history of the home and the many unique architectual details. Our tour guide was very entertaining. This year we want to get a group of girls to all go do the tour together and have dinner in downtown Deland.

Visited December 2011
2 Thank ToryAW
JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you so much for making your visit to the mansion a family affair!! I can't believe that Christmas decorating is right around the corner!! There is a special magic that comes out at night when the mansion is illuminated! I will keep my eyes open for you but if your not on one of my tours make sure to say hello!! See you soon and thank you for sharing your comments!
DeLand, Florida
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Christmas Tour is Excellent”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

This renovated mansion is beautiful on its own but when it's decorated for the Holiday Season, it's outstanding. Your tour guide is one of the owners and he does a super job of introducing you to what life would have been like in an earlier era. Worth the price of admission.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank DJL1845
JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
We love hearing from our guests so thank you so much for taking the time out to leave feedback because it is such a valuable resource for thousands of people. I am so happy that we were able to add a little something extra to your holiday season!! Maybe we'll see you again this year! Have a great summer!!
McDonald, Pennsylvania
“Masterful Intricate Detail”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

This was quite an amazing tour of history about John Stetson and his wife Elizabeth and there mansion. Not to mention, I don't think I have seen any restoration done quite so well like the revival of the the cypress shutters with tung oil and the fully functional rooms throughout. The flooring and woodwork are amazing restored to original condition. Attention to detail of the restoration is second to none so far that I have seen at national historic sites. You don't smell the dank and musty odors like at most historic sites. The restoration and functional use to someone for today's standards by JT and Michael are simply beyond anyone's expectations. This was truly an amazing experience Walt Disney would have been inspired by this magnificent restoration of such arduous undertaking.

Thank you JT and Michael for preserving a piece of American history for all to see.

We also had a great time with Mary Beth and Abri at the Sky Diving restraunt in DeLand.

Visited June 2012
JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I cannot tell how humbled we are by your rave review of the Stetson Mansion! We have put all our hearts and souls into this magical property so to read a review like yours makes all those 16 hour days worth while! Disney draws millions and millions of visitors every year and it is completely understandle why..they make magic come to life and bring out the child in all of us. But the Stetson Mansion offers something that Disney cannot reproduce and that is history. Presidents, royalty, Tiffany and Thomas Edison have all been connected to the mansion to some degree and now, for the first time in 126 years, visitors get to walk all the hallways and rooms of those honored guests. Less than an hour from the world's most visited city, Stetson Manison stands as one of the most recognizable symbols of Americana and pride. Thank you so much for your kind words of suppport and for sharing your thoughts with tens and thousands of vistitors to the TripAdvisor site. We are beyond grateful for your feedback!!