“Don’t miss Taste of Soul!”
Review of Taste of Soul

Taste of Soul
Ranked #44 of 194 Restaurants in DeLand
Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

Chicago shout out to the BEST restaurant in DeLand! Tucked away in a corner of the West Volusia Shopping Center, this 5 star Soul Food eatery is easy to miss, but don’t dare pass it by!
We’ve eaten it all, but Chicago, Cleveland and Memphis have nothing on DeLand, because Taste of Soul tops them all. Everything freshly prepared and seriously delicious- famous for their crispy hot, perfectly seasoned fried chicken, tender, smoky, fall-off-the-bone ribs, greens made just right, cheese grits better than we had in NOLA and oxtail just as good as my grandma used to make, and that’s saying something. Polite and friendly staff walks you through all the choices to help you make up your plate - so many choices, all fresh and homemade. Daily specials, reasonable prices, delicious pie, family run and locally owned - fast, casual soul food that hits the spot. Extremely popular spot for local residents. Take it from us- if you want a great meal while in DeLand, there’s only one place to go- Taste of Soul! We’ll be back in October!!

Reviewed August 19, 2018

For the price, some of the best food you can get in DeLand! This is a no frills restaurant with good soul food. You walk up to the counter, order, pay, and they will call your name when your food is ready. We have eaten here at least 20 times. The stand outs are the Mac n Cheese, Pork Chops, and Fried Chicken. The mac n cheese is like mom used to make and is great every time. My wife loves the fried chicken and gets it every time. It is the best in west Volusia and one of the best in Central Florida without a doubt. The surprise was the pork chops. They come 2 ways. Smothered or fried. Both are awesome. The menu changes every day, so check facebook for the up to date menu.

Reviewed July 26, 2018

The chicken looked good but the skin tasted like pig rinds. It didn't look burned but tasted burned. Must have been cooked in oil that was previously burned. The mashed potatoes were heavily seasoned with garlic which I didn't care for. The green beans looked good so I got them thinking they were just southern style seasoned with bacon grease. Instead they had little chunks of potatoes, onions and over cooked ham. My husband was unhappy because it was cafeteria style instead of being served. There were 6 of us and part got their food quickly and they others had to stand in line and wait. Finely the ones at the table prayed and started eating before their food got cold while the others stood and waited. The girl dishing up the food was not friendly but almost rude. My husband said he would not go back. Price wise it was about the same as every other place in DeLand. Around $8.50 with no salad or desert. I may try again and see if it has changed.

Reviewed April 25, 2018

My wife, my dad, and I tried this restaurant and overall the food is good. I enjoyed the fried chicken, I liked the ribs, the mash potatoes, and the mac and cheese were all good. The food was hot, tasty, and the coconut cake was also very good. This seems to be a small mom and pop place and I enjoy there offerings. 2 small criticisms I have are the small number of offerings on the menu. You usually have 4 options for meats and maybe as many sides. Secondly the restaurant could use a face lift. I think there is lots of potential but some work to make this place really special. I like the food and I will go back but not too often because of the limited options.

Reviewed February 9, 2018

For a place that promoted southern hospitality on the walls we surely did NOT get any on our visit. From the get-go the girl at the counter seemed as though we were bothering her when we asked questions and asked to see the food items behind cover pots. Not a very welcoming start. She couldn't even crack a smile. The fried chicken was good, not great but that's about it. Mac and cheese was awful and vegetables were from a can - not home cooking at all. Partner had cornbread and it was really not that great. Not worth going out of your way for. Won't be back.

Been to Taste of Soul? Share your experiences!