“Good things come in small packages”
Review of Cress Restaurant

Cress Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 185 Restaurants in DeLand
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary, International, Fusion
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: ZAGAT Guide:TOP Orlando Restaurant & America's Top Restaurants. Cress is a critically acclaimed global brasserie, with Farm-to-Table cuisine, located in Historic Downtown DeLand, Florida. Cress has always been dedicated to sourcing local produce that is inspired by the subtle changes in the Florida seasons. The cornerstone of the restaurant blends fresh market ingredients, exotic flavors, and refined presentation. Our serving staff creates a dialogue about food; for Cress is about the story or our land. The goal is to provide a connection that complements the complexity of the food the Cress kitchen creates with where our food comes from and with the individuals who are growing them. Knowing your farmer, dairyman, cattlemen, and fishermen. Offering 3-Course and Chef's Tastings only.
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Cress is a most impressive and excellent restaurant where it might be least expected, on a side street in Deland, Florida. The menu contains many choices and all are very tempting. It is a small restaurant, and they may not honor your reservation if you are late, so be sure to be on time - or at least call ahead if you will be late. I had the shrimp and Cress grits, which was very flavorful and had quite large shrimp. My wife had a salad and a crab cake, both from the appetizer menu, and the crab cake was certainly one of the best we have had outside of Maryland, if not the best. When we questioned our waiter about how good the crab cake was when my wife was considering it, he said that he guaranteed it and would pay for it himself if she was not satisfied. Needless to say, his money was safe. The wine list was very good, and we enjoyed an excellent Malbec. Our friends had been at the restaurant before, but it was our first visit, We don't expect it to be our last, by any means.

1  Thank granddadb

Reviewed November 5, 2013

We have dined here 3 times and each time the food is great and the service top notch. I recommend reservations for the weekend, but we have walked in during the week, and have been seated right away.

Lovely wine selection to go with the delicious and well presented dishes. It's not a secret anymore, so plan ahead if you have a special occasion to celebrate, and want a specific table, or have a large dining party.

3  Thank Travelwithnise
Reviewed October 26, 2013

When visiting my son at Stetson University, we just had to eat at the restaurant owned and run by a Stetson professor and his wife. We didn't know what to expect - we went for that reason only. What we found was a true delight! We knew we must be in for a treat when the amuse-bouche brought to the table was packed with many delicious flavors. My son's dish of mahi mahi, crab and polenta was mild and very much to his liking. My dish of shrimp, grits and sausage was bold and, happy to say, much to my liking! Just like the amuse-bouche, I kept tasting different flavors at different times and had fun trying to identify them. I travel from afar to visit my son, and now every time I do, we'll have a special night at Cress Restaurant. I won't miss the opportunity to go back there again!

3  Thank LadieSadie
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Everything gourmet and delicious blend of flavors and culinary talent. Delightful to eat at in quaint downtown DeLand. Only thing was that if you didn't drink wine or alcohol we were not offered anything else to drink! They whisked the wine glasses off the table and disappeared fast! We had to track down the waiter to order tea and it was weak. But really great delicious food nonethe less. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Goldentruth
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We ate dinner here after seeing Cress Highly rated by Zagat. My wife and I both opted for the seafood trio-- Crab Cake, Grouper and Shrimp and Grits. Having lived in Maryland we are very skeptical about ordering crab cakes elsewhere. There is nothing like Maryland Crab Cakes. This crab cake was loaded with lump crab meat and very tasty. The grouper was cooked to perfection and the sauce was very good. The shrimp and grits were as good as I have had in Charleston, SC. The menu here is small, but the food was great. Definitely will be back! Both the Chef and his wife visited our table after the meal!!

5  Thank tom p