“Needs a little TLC”

GreenLeadersGold level
Lake City, Florida, Usa
“Needs a little TLC”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Overall my stay was ok. I remember the rooms being nicer. I needed to run the heater in my room and it smelled terrible. I didnt tell the staff about it but I'm sure they would have found me a different room. Breakfast was good, but the staff could be happier. Stayed elswere the 3rd night because having an out of date restaurant didn't justify the added expense.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Brian C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Lillian, Alabama, Usa
Reviewed April 23, 2013

The room smelled musty and clearly was overdone with air freshner. In the morning when the air freshner wore off, it smell of animal (we hope) urine. When we told the front desk, she seemed uninterested and believe she threw away our comment card.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

2 Thank Michael F
New York
Reviewed April 19, 2013

When we are on a road trip, we rarely make advance reservations, so we chose this Best Western by time of day more than anything else. What a pleasant surprise to meet the nicest front desk staff imaginable. My husband's knee was bothering him and he limped a bit. She saw the limp, noticed the handicapped plates, and immediately gave us a ground floor room. She was smiling and helpful.

The room was fine. The hotel was very clean, and we spent a very comfortable night after a long day of driving up from southern Florida.

Breakfast in the morning was very nice. There was variety and very nicely done. If you were in a hurry, there were wrapped pastries, etc. and coffee cups with lids to grab as you went through. We sat near a window, and a waitress brought coffee and juice. There was a small breakfast buffet with good scrambled eggs, grits, etc. Nothing too elaborate but everything was good. We relaxed and then headed on our way.

We've become a little suspicious of the Best Western brand because each is owned and operated independently, and we have had some not-so-pleasant stays recently. But should we be back this way, I would not hesitate to stay here overnight.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jackson, Alabama
Reviewed April 14, 2013

If you are looking for a highly decorated room, move on. If you are looking for a decent place to stay for a nite or so, this hotel is more than adequate. the pluses: 1. you can drive up to your room if on the ground floor, or you can enter from the inside via the lobby. 2. lots of room to walk and stretch your legs if you dont want to use the treadmill. 3. two sinks per room; that way you dont have to 'wait' till your other half is through. 4. Breakfast was surprisingly decent, even with real scrambled eggs. 5. the staff was extremely friendly. The minuses: 1. Internet was less than desired. I was disconnected many times and it was slow. 2. The rooms are dated, but adequate. No pictures, no decorum of any type. 3. The complimentary breakfast is surprisingly limited in choices.

Room Tip: Go for a ground floor if possible.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Auburndale, Florida
Reviewed April 13, 2013

My grandma passed away in defuniak and we needed an inexpensive place to stay. This helped a lot with location. The front desk staff were great. rooms were very clean/ loved the stone shower. beds were comfortable. plenty of room. i agree with other reviews. building is older and the ground floor smelled like cigerette smoke (non smoking) but other than that it was great. I will be returning.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Panama City, FL
Reviewed January 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this Best Western recently and found it to be very clean and very quiet, despite being adjacent to an interstate highway. The front desk staff was cheerful and helpful. Oddly, for a smallish motel, it had a lounge and a restaurant, the latter factoring into our only real comments:

There was an in-room coffee maker, but no cream, sweetener, or sugar.

We went to the restaurant for the "complimentary" breakfast; I just wanted a bagel, and my husband wanted a coffee, to take back to the room. I understand that since it's not a breakfast room, but a restaurant, the staff has to sort out who's who, but the breakfast limitations were ridiculous. We were told to have a seat, and we did, even though my husband has no patience for sit-down breakfasts. Then we were asked our room number and informed our only choices (unless we wanted to pay extra) were "cold cereal" or "scrambled eggs, bacon, and grits". I said I just wanted a bagel, and got a shake of the head and was told I could pick something out from "that table over there". That table had pre-packaged pastries (no way in heck), 2 yogurt flavors that didn't interest me, oranges, and bananas. I ended up with the least-bruised of some small bananas. My husband did get a coffee to go. It's not much of a perk when you only get 2 choices for a meal. Who doesn't have bagels at a complimentary motel breakfast? After we checked out, we went across the street to McDonalds so I could get something I liked.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near DeFuniak Springs
Sleep Inn & Suites DeFuniak Springs - Crestview
Sleep Inn & Suites DeFuniak Spri...
#1 of 8 in DeFuniak Springs
Holiday Inn Express Defuniak Springs
Holiday Inn Express Defuniak Spr...
#2 of 8 in DeFuniak Springs
Ponce De Leon Motel
Ponce De Leon Motel
#1 of 1 in Ponce de Leon
Courtyard by Marriott Sandestin at Grand Boulevard

Been to Best Western Crossroads Inn? Share your experiences!