“Such a gem!”
Review of Hotel DeFuniak

Hotel DeFuniak
Reviewed August 3, 2014

My husband and I stopped at this charming little place on our way home to South Florida from Texas. We had our two little dogs with us and the room we had was perfect for the 4 of us. The room had an entrance that opened to the street and one through the lobby. It was so nice to be able to take the dogs out for a walk without going through the lobby. The room was clean, tidy and had everything we needed. A tiny kitchen was in the room - a nice addition if we'd needed it. The bathroom was roomy and updated. The room had a sitting area and the bedroom was separated by sliding doors. The bed was great and we had a welcomed good nights sleep.
The breakfast that is included in the stay was awesome. We happened to be the only ones having breakfast at the time so it was as if we had a private chef. We had a lovely and leisurely meal before we had to get on the road again. I would highly recommend this place and hope we'll be able to go back and stay again, sooner rather than later!

Room Tip: If you don't have a dog, I'd take a room away from the street.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel DeFuniak

Reviewed July 19, 2014

The Hotel Defuniak is a quaint bed and breakfast located at 400 East Nelson Avenue in Defuniak Falls, Florida. It was originally built in 1920 as a Masonic Lodge. It was restored in 1998. The lobby, wine bar, and breakfast café are all tastefully decorated and add to the hotel’s charm. The hotel offers numerous amenities such as free Wi-Fi, free local and long distance calling, free bottled water, and a complimentary breakfast. The breakfast was whatever the cook chose for the day—there were no menu options, however there is also a cereal bar. Another great dining opportunity was the restaurant adjacent to the hotel--Bogey's. The food and ambiance were excellent.

The room I stayed in was small with high ceilings and large windows. It was furnished with period-appropriate furniture and decorations. The room had an individual thermostat which allowed for keeping the room at a very comfortable temperature. The windows were opaque (so there was no view whatsoever) but, even with blinds, allowed a great deal of light into the room. This interfered with sleeping well. Another sleeping issue was a train that passed near the hotel at varying hours throughout the day. The work area in the room was too small so utilizing the bed as a work space was a necessary alternative. Other work issues were the lack of available electrical outlets for electronic devices and no hardwired internet access. Two comfort concerns were no microwave oven or refrigerator in the room; probably due to the limited room space. The room had a private bathroom with a tub/shower. There was never a shortage of hot water. A security concern was the room door did not automatically lock when exiting the room.

The hotel staff and owners were very friendly and accommodating. I would recommend asking the staff for anything needed but not readily seen or available. The owners appeared to be continually improving the quality of the hotel. The rooms were kept extremely clean. Overall the hotel is an excellent example of what a bed-and-breakfast should be. Although I would not recommend staying for business purposes, I would for anyone wanting to experience a very nice, traditional bed-and-breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Thank you for a wonderfully relaxing and enjoyable experience. We were greeted with smiles and kindness from everyone on staff there. Finding the breakfast to be delicious and the room clean making our stay a memory we shall cherish.

Thank Dave and Elizab... J
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We stayed at the Hotel for a family wedding. Three of our families were here and we loved it! It is the best place to stay in the area. The restaurant is excellent, and the hotel treats you as family. We would highly recommend it!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stayed in room #7 (the Hat room) this past weekend. We are in our early 30's and were visiting family in a nearby town. This was supposed to be a place for us to sleep. Comments for this Hotel are as follows:
THE GOOD- The room was clean. The staff was polite and friendly.
THE FACTS- Parking is on the street. Room 7 windows face the East and are frosted with blinds and a lacy curtain = no view and early light. There is an active train track nearby. Some parts of the hotel may appear dilapidated; the room was not. The room was much smaller than your typical hotel room. Decor was nice. Staff is not onsite 24/7.
THE COMPLAINTS- The bed was HORRIBLE. The mattress in this room is a 4" thick spring matress (queen) with no pad. You can rub your hand on the matress while pressing lightly and feel the wires in the bed. I considered sleeping on the floor; it was so bad, and wish I had.
I called over a month in advance to book our room and requested a King bed. The owner took my reservation, and did not indicate that there would be an issue with availability. Upon entering the room, we discovered that we were given a room with a queen bed instead. When I called the front desk to request they correct the error, I was told that room requests are not guaranteed and that all the rooms with king beds were occupied. I was told that the rooms are on a first come basis. I was/am very cranky about this since we made the reservations over the phone well in advance, and the owner could/should have informed me at that time if my request wasn't available. To add insult to injury, they had good enough records to see that we hadn't made reservations for their restaurant, and e-mailed me a couple of weeks in advance to encourage us to do so. Priorities?
We considered looking for a better place to stay, but options are limited in Defuniak. We had a busy schedule, and it was only for 2 nights, so we decided to deal with it even after not sleeping much the first night due to the horribly uncomfortable bed. I now regret that decision due to the ache in my back and shoulders.

This was really one of the cleanest rooms I have stayed in, but the overall expeirience left us exhausted, cranky, and achy. Mistakes happen, but cheap uncomfortable matresses are inexcusable at $105/ night

8  Thank Chip R
Reviewed July 14, 2014

I found a deal on living social and purchased the special they were offering which was 2 night stay, breakfast both days, free appetizer from Bogeys the restaurant next door, 2 welcome drinks from the wine bar downstairs and a bottle of champagne. Everyone at the hotel was so nice and helpful, they made us both feel right at home. We ended up upgrading and booking a suite instead of the regular room that was part of the living social package and to be honest I'm so glad we did. The room was beautiful and had a real antique charm, a great place to spend the anniversary weekend with my boyfriend. The breakfast in the hotel cafe is amazing, everyday we had something different which was all so delicious. Not your standard bagel and fruit, we had honey greek yogurt with strawberry granola and egg frittata, Belgium waffles with sliced strawberries and whip cream. Probably one of the best stays we've ever had together. The food at Bogeys next door was great. Everything was fresh and the server was attentive and the food was wonderful and very reasonably priced. We'd recommend this place for anyone looking for a nice weekend getaway away from busy cities. We had a great experience and will recommend this place to others!

Reviewed July 10, 2014

I recently returned home for my school reunion (Ol school). I decided to stay at the down town hotel which I had known as a child growing up there many years ago - one of the local Drug store or Pharmacy - now known as Hotel DeFuniak. What a very pleasant surprise. I was greeted by the owners Tom and Pam who happened to be present. They immediately made me feel at home. My lovely room was the Hats Room - wonderful décor and exceptionally clean. my only concern was the frosted windows -- no view! Well it really didn't matter as I was seldom in the room. This was my home away form home for the next five nights - great breakfast, efficient room service, comfortable library and front lounge , free phone and computer service. In additional it is located next door to the best restaurant and lounge in town - "Bogey's". At Bogey's there is great food, drink and conversation - always with Michelle and/or mom - and if you stay for the weekend great music (No Sunday services).
Back to Hotel DeFuniak - did I say every room is 'themed" --- I peeked in to a few when they became vacant and my next visit must be in the "Safari" suite.
Being in the travel industry - affiliated with a virtuoso agency -- I must say this one get's my vote for the best Bed and Breakfast in the Panhandle.
It's within walking distance to the heart of this historical town - Lake DeFuniak /Circle drive w/historical designated homes and the famed Chautauqua Center. In October there's a short ride to the County fair and December brings buggy rides around the decorated Lake area. it's a nice stop over on 331 head to the white sands and emerald waters South Walton on the Gulf of Mexico. If that's not enough you are just minutes away if driving I -10 west from Tallahassee at the US 331 or DeFuniak Springs exit.

By some definitions it is a boutique hotel. The husband and wife team who manage the hotel as well as the nigh staff are jewels! Thanks guys!

Why not try a most enjoyable stay in "my home town"!

Room Tip: Try the safari suite --- remember some rooms have no clear view (frosted windows)
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank meredith14
Also consider these accommodations in or near DeFuniak Springs
Sleep Inn & Suites DeFuniak Springs - Crestview
Sleep Inn & Suites DeFuniak Spri...
#1 of 8 in DeFuniak Springs
Best Western Crossroads Inn
Best Western Crossroads Inn
#3 of 8 in DeFuniak Springs
Holiday Inn Express Defuniak Springs
Holiday Inn Express Defuniak Spr...
#2 of 8 in DeFuniak Springs
#6 of 8 in DeFuniak Springs
Ponce De Leon Motel
Ponce De Leon Motel
#1 of 1 in Ponce de Leon

Been to Hotel DeFuniak? Share your experiences!